Author Topic: mTDI Passat b2 swap, your help is much appreciated  (Read 8621 times)

Reply #15August 15, 2023, 08:54:15 am

Dennis Froelich

• Global Moderator
  • Junior

Re: mTDI Passat b2 swap, your help is much appreciated
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2023, 08:54:15 am »
Very nice!!
79 Golf GTD
96 Golf GTD(TDI)

Reply #16October 21, 2023, 02:12:29 pm

33B

• Junior

• Personal Text
    Bosnian with a money pit aka VW Passat 1987
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2023, 02:12:29 pm »
Update.
Engine and transmission is in and running. Had to fabricate all the engine mounts. Also transmission mounts were a challenge. Still have to do engine bay wiring routing, fabricate left radiator fan shroud (Stock can't fit because of alternator), intercooler, a/c, speedometer...

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/xqquZaVh5GU
1987 Passat B2 (33B)- 1.6TD JR, Audi 80 b4 front suspension and power steering. 280mm brake discs with 54mm calipers front. Rear MK3 disc setup with golf mk5 calipers.

Reply #17November 02, 2023, 05:03:34 pm

33B

• Junior

• Personal Text
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2023, 05:03:34 pm »
It's been a slow progress building this thing, finding time between work and university.

Subframe was fitted from a Audi 80 B4, difference is that b4 subframe has an additional transmission mount and lacks engine mounts (engine mounts to the unibody on B4, B5...)

First i mounted the B5 transmission with the B4 transmission mounts, had to massage transmission tunnel with a sledge hammer. Then I combined B4 and b5 shift linkages to fit my B2. A lot of cutting and welding later I could shift the transmission.

Axle shafts from the b5 don't fit onto b2 because they are longer 2-3cm than stock, had to find B4 TDI axles, swapped outer cv joints.

Replaced the transmission oil and fitted a new B4 slave cylinder.

Then came the engine. Resealed everything, new oil pan, new glowplugs, water pump, timing belt and oil...

Installed the engine into the car, bolted it up to the transmission. Used 1.6 front mount to position it correctly. Then fabricated and welded subframe engine mount brackets. After that used B5 front engine mount that also serves as intercooling piping. A lot of cutting and welding later i had all mounts side and front.

Used B4 pedals that seemed to fit without a problem but of course they are a close fit but new mounts needed to be made. After that i drilled the firewall for the clutch slave cylinder. Hooked everything up and bleed the clutch. It works.

A little while ago i found a 5 cylinder Passat in a scrapyard that someone swapped a 1.6 into but left everything else in it. Took all the ac parts from the inside as well as the brake fluid bottle with the drain for the clutch.

Mounted the Ac evaporator (firewall cutting and welding, had to braze b5 ac line connectors since someone broke off the original ones), mounted the fresh air fan plastic housing with the vacuum actuator for the ac, also the 3 speed fan switch was replaced with the 4 speed one.
Did inside electrics for the fog lights and all other accessories i installed so that they all run through CE1.

Found a b3 speedo hoping it would work with b5 transmission speed sender, and it works. Now I need to install that in to the original mk2 speedo housing. Why the b3/b4 speedo, because they are individual, you can take the speedo out without tach for example and it would work, as in mk2.

Regarding the engine, IP was timed to 1.45mm, 1.6 td intake ported to fit 1.9tdi, turbo actuator welded a bong to it so i could use a boost line on the lower half with a manual boost controller. Did the engine wiring. Hoped i could use 1.6 head water outlet but bad luck, different angle for mounting. So i had to use 1.9tdi water bracket. It has a 4 wire temp sender. Hooked it up so it could work with my 1 wire gauge. I have cut off the clutch fan from the water pump bracket, so different belt routing and length had to be used 1650 5pk. Brand new alternator 140a, w terminal soldered and hooked up.

IP was fine but yesterday it started to rev hang, i dont know why. Maybe stuck delivery valve or something. You start it up and its okay, as soon as you rev it it hangs at 2k rpm and stays there until you overload the engine and then it would go back to normal idle. Probably rust from sitting for too long idk. After unscrewing the fuel screw it doesnt hang permanently on 2k but slow to come down. Was fine a few days ago. Have to solve that.

Yeah also welded a part of the 1.6 IP fuel lever so i could retain the "no smoke at startup" lever thingy on the lr pump. Also remade the 1.6 throttle cable bracket to fit lr pump.

Still have to do intercooler, ac lines and condenser and speedo. Radiator fans are still a problem but i'm thinking I could make mk4 golf fans fit so they push air, with that setup i can install the ac condenser. Intercooler is going to go on the outside (bumper cutting..).

Probably forgetting to mention a lot of things, but give me a brake its been a couple of months now since i've started this build.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2023, 05:12:24 pm by 33B »
1987 Passat B2 (33B)- 1.6TD JR, Audi 80 b4 front suspension and power steering. 280mm brake discs with 54mm calipers front. Rear MK3 disc setup with golf mk5 calipers.

Reply #18November 02, 2023, 05:10:51 pm

33B

• Junior

• Personal Text
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2023, 05:10:51 pm »
fatmobile i've read your post about having almost the same issue with the rev hang. Did you ever discover what the problem was?

Reply #19November 02, 2023, 08:19:31 pm

fatmobile

• Veteran

• http://www.geocities.com/vwfatmobile/
« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2023, 08:19:31 pm »
No, I ended up getting another pump.
 I took the extra lever off the side, I think it was for a manual shut down, maybe that had something to do with it.
Tornado red, '91 Golf 4 door,
with a re-ringed, '84 quantum, turbo diesel, MD block

Reply #20November 02, 2023, 10:24:30 pm

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Restoring a Caddy as time and weather allows
« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2023, 10:24:30 pm »
I recently did some work on my pump and ended up tightening the bracket that keeps the Accelerator cable in place too tightly and had that lever bound up.  Once I stuck in a spacer on top of the pump and between the bracket the manual shut-off lever no longer sticks. 

I too had hanging revs. 

Reply #21November 11, 2023, 04:37:59 pm

33B

• Junior

• Personal Text
« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2023, 04:37:59 pm »
I'm waiting for the reseal kit to arrive, and I am going to disassemble the IP clean and reseal.

In the meantime i've given up on the audi 80 speedo and mk2 cluster. I made it work but for it to fit nicely i need to cut the blue film and resolder with wires. Tried it on a scrap film, no luck. Film breaks as soon as you touch it after solder. Don't have the equipment for that.

So I've bought myself a Golf mk3 TDI cluster. Hooked the wires up today. Everything works except tach (it works but redline at idle). Can't use the W terminal. My question is could i hook up crankshaft sensor to supply me with the tach signal. I've left the original AFN crankshaft p. sensor in place just in case.
My way of thinking is sensor has 3 wires (+5v, ground and signal). So if that is correct could i use that signal from the sensor and directly connect it to the cluster tach signal wire? If no, what would be my solution to this besides getting a TD mk3 cluster?

Reply #22November 11, 2023, 10:45:41 pm

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2023, 10:45:41 pm »
I have heard that some of that paint on solder is the way to fix the film we have in our VWs. 

Have no help about getting the tach to work.  Not sure if the part you have will give you the proper signal or not.

Reply #23November 13, 2023, 12:08:38 am

fatmobile

• Veteran

« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2023, 12:08:38 am »
 I'm not much help with the MK3 tach either.
 I'm not sure what it runs off of.
 The computer probably tells it what to do. I don't think it's driven by a W wire off the alternator like the MK2.

Reply #24November 13, 2023, 03:33:26 pm

33B

• Junior

• Personal Text
« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2023, 03:33:26 pm »
ECU gets a signal from the IP or CPS im not sure and then ECU sends signal to the cluster.
Anyway i bought a mk3 TD cluster it works (found a guy that has a "junkyard" in the middle of the forest. 15min of walking through some mud i got the cluster for 15 bucks with loads of different interior plastics)

Currently installing a bmw e39 3.0d intercooler. Will update as i go.

Reply #25November 26, 2023, 02:03:30 pm

33B

• Junior

• Personal Text
« Reply #25 on: November 26, 2023, 02:03:30 pm »
IC installed, cluster installed another IP bought and installed. Finally its a daily driver.  Still have a loads of small things to do. A video will be posted soon.

Reply #26November 26, 2023, 09:00:43 pm

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #26 on: November 26, 2023, 09:00:43 pm »
Isn't just the greatest feeling to have it on the road at last?  I tuned on mine this weekend and it seems to be running best it ever has. 

Reply #27November 27, 2023, 12:15:00 pm

fatmobile

• Veteran

« Reply #27 on: November 27, 2023, 12:15:00 pm »
 Great to hear it's on the road.
Not sure the small stuff ever ends.

Reply #28November 27, 2023, 09:33:53 pm

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #28 on: November 27, 2023, 09:33:53 pm »
The Small stuff never ends!

I second that.

Reply #29January 28, 2024, 01:41:13 pm

33B

• Junior

• Personal Text
« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2024, 01:41:13 pm »
Yes I'm happy it's on the road and working not at 100% but close. Small stuff never ends, there's always something that comes up or you think of something new/different to do.

Here's a small update. Haven't been doing anything special, work and other things got me occupied. But have loads more planned.
The VNT controller i spoke of is https://gfb.com.au/products/boost-controllers/manual-boost-controllers/v2-vnt-boost-controller-reliable-and-effective-boost-control-for-vnt-vgt-turbos/.
Hopefully it's gonna work. If it does Garrett 2256v is going on this engine. If not, some wastegate turbo is gonna be installed.

I have tried to control the VNT with boost only. Drilled the other half of the actuator, welded a boost nipple on. This way you only stall the engine from the massive amount of exhaust backpressure from vanes closing instantly.

Regarding the non start when hot issue i have, first time it happened i wasn't sure what it was. I have not at that point driven the car for long period of time, only short drives. After that i went on a long drive and when it's at operating temperature it would not start, it would smoke but not start. First thought was the head and rotor were worn, but it smoked like crazy when trying to start it, so its getting fuel. Next thought i had maybe the timing was too advanced (timed at 1.45mm). Retarded the timing to 1.40mm and it seemed to solve the issue. Then a month later I had my first road trip with it. And after going up a long hill with egts around 600c i shut it off and tried starting it, same thing cranks puffs smoke but doesnt start.(never got it that hot before). Funny thing is it starts at -10C without waiting for glowplugs.
I still haven't been able to point my finger at what the issue is. Is timing still too advanced, is the ip worn (think not its popping injectors), low compression, starter too slow when hot??
Haven't touched anything as I'm saving money to do a whole engine rebuild and an IP rebuild.

https://youtu.be/jPB643YOzPY

« Last Edit: January 28, 2024, 01:45:16 pm by 33B »

Fixmyvw.com