Engine Specific Info and Questions > IDI Engine

Head of Toast?

<< < (2/5) > >>

ORCoaster:
Thanks for the feedback.  I have a second head in the shed.  So I will clean it up, get the cam on it and set the clearances on the valves and see what happens.  First I will get out the straight edge and .004 feeler gauge.  I think my son said it was not in spec on one portion.  So best to check that first before putting much time into it.

Yeah, kind of weird how those cracks spit out towards the valves. 

Dennis Froelich:
Mine cracked that way all the way to the valves and beyond. It is cracked all the way to a water port and let a antifreeze in the cylinder so yeah...

ORCoaster:
I used the flat surface and some cutting oil and sandpaper to get the old head into spec so I will swap all the other bits over to it and see what happens.  If that fails I will be buying an entirely new head. 

Snow on the coast today.  6 inches of winter wonderland.  Finally stopped at about 2 and then started to melt.  We may still get more tonight and when it gets cold over the weekend.  So reminds me of doing mechanic work in Michigan.  I may be digging out the snowsuit to stay warm as I put the VW back together.

Really hope this is the nail that holds the engine back together.  I don't run high temps on the EGT so I am scratching my bald head trying to figure out the head failure.  Sometimes it doesn't make sense and there is no reason to waste time trying to figure it out.  Mechanical failure, done, move on. 

ORCoaster:
So after investing a bunch of time into the head and gasket redos I bought a rebuilt head and put it on and all was well.  I spent a little money on clear lenses for the front turn signals and while testing them I left the lights on for hours.

So the battery was sucked down to where I couldn't get the glow plugs warm and turn it over.  So, slap a battery charger on it and be done.  Not quite.

Glow plug relay was not functioning well even with 12 solid volts.  So, buy a new one of them threre jobbers and plugged it in.  No joy.  Wiring from the head is funky and keeping the relay from kicking in.  So pull that wire off and it starts up after considerable turning over.

Like it was lacking fuel?  How the heck?

Once I did get it running I noticed a fine mist around the #2 cylinder.  I put my finger under and around the top of the injector and finally moved just far enough to catch a pin sized hole in the fuel line.  Crap, out to the shed and get another. 

But it was already too late to install, dinner time and my son was visiting and needed to eat and run.

So here is a question.  Is there anything short of welding the hole that will save that fuel line?  JB Weld or something like it?  Just wondering, as I do have a second and maybe third set of lines laying about the shop.

Just been one little thing after anonther lately.  I think it knows I have a new truck on order and will be selling this PU if it ever comes in. 

fatmobile:
I don't think you can weld a pinhole in a metal injector line.
 I hope you didn't run your finger over the hole while it was running.
 Getting injected with diesel means that part needs cut off quick.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version