Author Topic: K03 Bad Wastegate Actuator?  (Read 1210 times)

January 24, 2023, 08:42:55 pm

joshb

K03 Bad Wastegate Actuator?
« on: January 24, 2023, 08:42:55 pm »
Howdy y'all,

I've got a 1986 Transporter DoKa that I've swapped out the 1.6NA for a rebuilt AAZ with a K03 turbo from German Quality Autoparts in Southern California.

I've just gotten things far enough along to go for my first handful of test drives and went to go and confirm / adjust my boost levels this week.

I first wanted to see what amount of boost the wastegate actuator was set up for. I disconnected the hose that runs from the turbo to the wastegate actuator (A) and then used it to connect the waste gate actuator to a bike pump. The other hose (B) that would normally go to the N75 valve is plugged and everything else related to EGR had been deleted from my engine when I bought it.

When I started pumping the bike pump no pressure would build and I could hear and feel the air escaping from the wastegate actuator at the threaded rod (C).

The threaded rod for the actuator moves freely if I apply a modest amount of force.

Just as a quick gut check:

1. Under normal operation hose A would be under pressure and that pressure would cause the wastegate actuator to open/close the wastegate.
2. The B hose being plugged has no effect on the operation of the turbo. If I were to apply a vacuum to it, the actuator would start opening with less pressure required than if I had not applied vacuum.
3. The K03's wastegate is normally closed. If no pressure is able to build in the actuator, the wastegate will never open, and I'll be getting all of the boost all of the time.
4. The Bentley says that the actuator shouldn't be replaced on its own. Some folks seem mighty brave and have replaced it independently. Mine is likely toast and I should replace the turbo.
5. It's okay that my actuator is so dang close to my engine mount (yellow).

I spoke with German Quality Autoparts today and they're sending me out a new K03 to replace this one, but I want to make sure I'm not doing something stupid, and haven't accidentally given them bad information.

Thanks.

Reply #1January 24, 2023, 08:49:52 pm

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Restoring a Caddy as time and weather allows
Re: K03 Bad Wastegate Actuator?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2023, 08:49:52 pm »
If you hooked up a separate pressure line to the boost side and are getting a hiss out at C then I would say yep, the actuator is done for.  Nice of them to send you a replacement. 

If you can't reclock the position of the turbo and have to live with that frame nearly touching the the actuator then so be it.  But I would be looking at trying to get more clearance between them if I could.

Reply #2January 24, 2023, 08:54:07 pm

joshb

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2023, 08:54:07 pm »
ORCoaster: Sorry, just to make sure I'm clear: Repeat my test with the bike pump hooked up to hose A and see if hose B is also leaking pressure? 

Reply #3January 24, 2023, 08:59:27 pm

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2023, 08:59:27 pm »
I understood you to say you hooked up to A and it leaked at C.  If you have B plugged off then something is wrong inside the metal can.  Diaphragam has a crack or a hole in it.  You could spray some soapy water on the rod at C and look for bubbles as a check as well. 

Reply #4January 24, 2023, 09:02:17 pm

joshb

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2023, 09:02:17 pm »
Wow. I made that diagram to avoid confusion and misread it on my first go. Your read was correct. Pressure in A comes out C with B plugged or unplugged.

Reply #5January 24, 2023, 09:14:50 pm

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2023, 09:14:50 pm »
Confusing yourself?  Not such a good thing.  Confusing others is allowed. 

Reply #6February 22, 2023, 09:23:10 pm

joshb

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2023, 09:23:10 pm »
Thomas over at Quality German Autoparts schooled me and sent over a new wastegate actuator, not a whole turbo. Swapped it out, clocked the turbo to give it a little more clearance and everything has been running great.

Fixmyvw.com