S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: Oil in exhaust  (Read 805 times)

January 20, 2023, 10:50:38 am

Cadbury

Oil in exhaust
« on: January 20, 2023, 10:50:38 am »
So, I have been meaning to get my car on a lift since I bought it a month ago and FINALLY did it today. I have been chasing thick smoke when the fuel pedal is pressed and today I found that there is oil dripping from the exhaust pipe (PO removed the muffler). At first I thought it might be fuel, but it's too thick and too black to be that. I realize this is not good and wanted to know what the primary reasons could be. I did a search, but all I could find were posts related to TDi's, which mine is not. I realize valve seals/guides or piston rings are a possibility. The car seems to run and idle well, just produces a lot of smoke, and now I know why.

I don't have any history on the car other than the title I had was from the original owner and that he drove it until about 2 years ago.

I do have another engine that came with the car that I could rebuild and just swap it out, so that's not too much of an issue. I am planning on rebuilding it myself, but have a machine shop check out the block and head for any issues. Anything I should be aware of? Where is a good place to buy seals, rings, etc.? I'm not looking to spend a small fortune on it and I don't care about performance, just a stock rebuild.

Thanks!

Reply #1January 20, 2023, 12:54:01 pm

fatmobile

• Veteran

• http://www.geocities.com/vwfatmobile/
Re: Oil in exhaust
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2023, 12:54:01 pm »
Does your car have a turbo?
Tornado red, '91 Golf 4 door,
with a re-ringed, '84 quantum, turbo diesel, MD block

Reply #2January 20, 2023, 03:20:25 pm

Cadbury

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2023, 03:20:25 pm »
No turbo. It's a N/A 1.6 diesel. I have seen quite a few posts for the TDi's and the first thing they list is the turbo being the issue, but not in my case. I'm new to diesels and all, but I know oil in the exhaust is not right, especially when it's dripping out! I'm used to gas engines and I would assume they're similar enough to say that it ain't lookin' good when you see that! It wasn't until I got the car up in the air that I was able to see just how bad it was and what brought it to my attention was oil sprayed on the spare wheel well from a leak in the exhaust, it's that bad.

Reply #3January 24, 2023, 03:50:54 pm

33B

• Junior

• Personal Text
    Bosnian with a money pit aka VW Passat 1987
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2023, 03:50:54 pm »
Broken piston ring. Unbolt exhaust manifold to see what cylinder exactly is fu.
1987 Passat B2 (33B)- 1.6TD JR, Audi 80 b4 front suspension and power steering. 280mm brake discs with 54mm calipers front. Rear MK3 disc setup with golf mk5 calipers.

Reply #4February 10, 2023, 04:12:37 pm

Cadbury

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2023, 04:12:37 pm »
That's what I'm leaning towards, especially since the crankcase vent is pretty dry (for a diesel). At idle, the smoke isn't bad at all, but as soon as I rev it, HELLO, FOG MACHINE!!!

I have another complete engine on the stand that I'll probably due a leak down on to see how healthy it is as I don't know it's history. Either way, IF I keep the car, it looks like I'll be swapping engines sooner rather than later and I MIGHT just go ahead an rebuild the one on the stand to make sure everything is in good shape before I go through the time and effort of installing it.

Reply #5February 10, 2023, 06:14:01 pm

Cadbury

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2023, 06:14:01 pm »
Also, are broken rings that common? I’ve worked on modern diesels (BMW, Mercedes, BW) and never seen this before.

Reply #6February 10, 2023, 07:09:07 pm

fatmobile

• Veteran

• http://www.geocities.com/vwfatmobile/
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2023, 07:09:07 pm »
 Broken rings not so common but they do stick sometimes.
 Turn the spare engine over by hand, with a socket on the crank bolt.
 If it tries to go backward near the top of the stroke the compression is good.
Tornado red, '91 Golf 4 door,
with a re-ringed, '84 quantum, turbo diesel, MD block

S-PAutomotive.com