Model Specific Questions and Info > MK2 Golf/Jetta and Audi 5k

CE2 resistors on cluster

<< < (5/6) > >>

oblique:
Alright so i finished my TB job finally and started the car with the cooked resistor cluster. Worse than before, now my fuel and temp gauges dont work at all. I changed all 3 bulbs on the back but 1 is still out.

Also now my taillghts (and amber front lamps (not flashers)) are always on. The headlight switch operates the headlights as before but it had no effect on the rest...they are on as soon as ignition is on.

The PO did wire in a manual rad fan controller in the engine bay...theres a temp probe that goes into the rad and the electrics box with adjustment wheel screwed to the body...there's quite a few wires going different places.

Havent had a chance to pull the cluster and get readings...i can also alligator clip the old resistor leads and run wires outside the dash and probe those

fatmobile:
 The voltage regulator that resistor tracks back to runs the fuel and temp gauges.
So it might be somehow shorting to ground.
ORCoaster some gasser clusters had an MFA,.. multi function something.
 It was a switch/button on one of the stalks that switched the LCD window in the cluster to display things like MPG, air temp? etc.
My '87 Jetta GLI had it.

ORCoaster:
I bet that is what I am missing from the equation for getting the little box to display any information.  I see the white letters and can figure out the graphics for all those functions.  Now I know how they were cued from the stalk on the steering wheel. 

oblique:
Quick update on this, I swapped the regulator with this one: https://www.digikey.ca/en/products/detail/stmicroelectronics/L78S10CV/1165899

The output/input legs are reversed on this one so it has to be mounted upside down...some washers and a longer screw did the trick for heatsinking, etc.

Seems to be working, although fuel and temps seem to be reading a little low now. I cleaned up some of the grounds near the battery and engine as well as the leads around the starter but no change...this is odd because I think low readings are a result of too little resistance, correct?

ORCoaster:
Could be low voltage on the same resistance that would cause low readings.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version