Author Topic: 1.6 TD LDA vent leak  (Read 1242 times)

July 16, 2022, 06:40:41 pm

tbro

• User+

1.6 TD LDA vent leak
« on: July 16, 2022, 06:40:41 pm »
Have a new issue with my 1984 1.6 td pump in my caddy.  I have replaced o ring seals with the bosch 126 kit before on NA pumps but never messed with one with the "space ship".  I began getting a leak out the vent boot which is below the boost pressure nipple at the rear.  Does this mean a torn diaphragm in the LDA (aneroid) or is it an O ring fix.  I hate to mess with the torx set screw and nut in the top cover as the engine runs sweet at current setting.  What is the best way to approach this leak? By taking off the top cover will I be able to get to the O ring or diaphragm if that is the culprit.  I have limited experience on the TD pump innards VS the NA pump.. Any insight is appreciated.  Thank you in advance, Tom

Reply #1July 17, 2022, 01:21:36 am

fatmobile

• Veteran

• http://www.geocities.com/vwfatmobile/
Re: 1.6 TD LDA vent leak
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2022, 01:21:36 am »
The DGK-121 has the o-ring you need but your local bosch shop can usually get any o-ring or seal separately.
If I remember right the DGK-121 includes a 19mm mainshaft seal for a cummins pump,
something you don't need and don't want to pay for.

You can pull the top off and fix it.
 It's an o-ring around the shaft that goes between the lever inside the pump and the LDA.
 It slides in and out, through the o-ring.

Wondering if your LDA (spaceship) has the bolt heads on the sides
or if removing the pivot pin for the lever requires you to punch in the sealing bearings.
Got a picture?

Tornado red, '91 Golf 4 door,
with a re-ringed, '84 quantum, turbo diesel, MD block

Reply #2July 17, 2022, 03:02:52 pm

tbro

• User+

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2022, 03:02:52 pm »
Thank you for the quick reply.  I removed the diaphragm and pin and I see no tears or splits, therefore like you said, it  is probably an O ring inside the pump once I remove the top. By top, Can I assume you mean the IP full cover and not the LDA cover as I do not see any O ring in the top half of the LDA.   Is there anything to watch when I take off the full cover that is different from the NA pump? BTW: there are no screws on the side only the four on top of LDA if that is what you mean.
Would you happen to have a picture showing the O ring mounted inside the pump?  No big deal if not.  Here are a few pics which should help determining which pump I have; If I can figure out how to post them with image shack. I found an article in the  "read this first" section of the forum that shows exactly my problem "Fixing a leak at the atmosphere bleed on the LDA" but can't retrieve it for some reason. says error occurred or I do not have permission. 
Thanks again, Tom

Reply #3July 17, 2022, 04:13:04 pm

tbro

• User+

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2022, 04:13:04 pm »
OK all is good.  I found the write up on air vent leak and will follow that thread to repair the pump.  The pictures are missing that are referenced but I can probably figure that out.  BTW: if someone wants to access the thread it is in the how to section under ve PUMP "The Aneroid Atmospheric Bleed and What to Do If It's Leaking" by Ziptar.

Reply #4July 19, 2022, 01:53:49 pm

fatmobile

• Veteran

• http://www.geocities.com/vwfatmobile/
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2022, 01:53:49 pm »
imageshack had free picture hosting.
 Then they started charging and deleted people's pictures.
Tornado red, '91 Golf 4 door,
with a re-ringed, '84 quantum, turbo diesel, MD block