Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: mTDI Pump for Standard power AHU  (Read 2762 times)

July 13, 2022, 06:33:18 am

wil892

• Junior

mTDI Pump for Standard power AHU
« on: July 13, 2022, 06:33:18 am »
Hi

I have a T3 Caravelle syncro which has a 1.9D 1Y engine. Its actually a very healthy engine and pushes the van along fine for most things, but am converting to camper and hitop so I will need a little more power.

I have a new VW AHU long block and would basically like to run it with all the original 1.6 fittings and turbo the van originally had (will be using dual mass flywheel though). My aim for the pump is just to get standard AHU power, little smoke and generally good running characteristics, not at all fussed about low down torque or high power as I'd like to keep the syncro box standard (only has 70,000 miles).

I'm in europe so there are plenty of pumps out there, but I don't know if I really need a LR pump for the low power I'm after. I have an eTDI 10mm pump and a GTD 1.6 9mm pump for parts if required.

Can anyone suggest a good combo or off the shelf pump? I can't work out if I really need 11mm heads etc to run what I want to get out this engine.

Thanks, Will

1991 Golf MK2 GTD

Reply #1July 13, 2022, 10:49:20 pm

fatmobile

• Veteran

• http://www.geocities.com/vwfatmobile/
Re: mTDI Pump for Standard power AHU
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2022, 10:49:20 pm »
 I'm in the same boat. Just got an AHU engine and want to put an Mtdi pump on it.
 I've heard the LR pump needs some things done to it to fit the AHU bracket.
 I'm going to try a cummins 4BT pump and a machine a 1.6 sprocket to fit the larger shaft.
 Also changing the timing springs.
Tornado red, '91 Golf 4 door,
with a re-ringed, '84 quantum, turbo diesel, MD block