Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: broken exhaust manifold stud  (Read 3481 times)

May 27, 2022, 02:24:13 pm

scrounger

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Big MO
broken exhaust manifold stud
« on: May 27, 2022, 02:24:13 pm »
Made a 40-mile road trip today.

On the way back it started ticking eventually making more and more noise.

When I got it limped back into the garage and cooled down, I found the driver's side top exhaust manifold/cylinder head stud was broken and of course, no nut.

A year ago I found the same nut missing and I screwed on a new one. It has been quiet till today.

I think I can get my welder in there and weld on a nut and extract the broken stud. I have done it before on other projects. The heat from welding seems to loosen up the grip between the stud and head.

Looking to change the gasket.  It looks like I'm needing the downpipe off and intake doesn't it?

Any comments?

Thanks.

« Last Edit: May 27, 2022, 07:48:16 pm by ORCoaster »

M2 Jetta TD.  Northern Missouri

Reply #1May 27, 2022, 07:50:34 pm

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Restoring a Caddy as time and weather allows
Re: broken exhaust manifold stud
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2022, 07:50:34 pm »
You may be able to get all the nuts off the exhaust manifold without removing the downpipe and slipping new gaskets between the head and the manifold.  Soak all nuts with penetrating oil overnight.  Even the downpipe, just in case it needs to come off too.

Reply #2May 27, 2022, 08:09:31 pm

libbydiesel

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2022, 08:09:31 pm »
On the TD, you need all the stock exhaust manifold hardware including (especially) the special super-thick washers, or you will be fighting with broken/loosened ex manifold hardware repeatedly.  An added brace to triangulate the turbo helps also.   

Reply #3May 27, 2022, 10:18:37 pm

scrounger

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Big MO
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2022, 10:18:37 pm »
That is what I figured. I never liked the turbo and headpipe cantilevered off those 8, 8mm studs. Our road is gravel rough and the car has stiff springing.  Like  the idea of triangular bracing.

Reply #4May 28, 2022, 11:12:56 am

scrounger

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Big MO
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2022, 11:12:56 am »
Does anyone have a preference of what brand or model of  gasket I am thinking of something extra thick to  take up any wear on the port. Any dimensions of exhaust studs.

Last time I replaced the down pipe I used some 2" exhaust clamps that I took off my tractor

Any pics of a manifold/turbo to block brace?

I fix stuff but in no way consider myself a mechanic. 

Before I take anything apart am going to try and degrease the back side of the motor and then use penetrating oil on the nuts.

« Last Edit: May 28, 2022, 11:17:07 am by scrounger »

Reply #5May 29, 2022, 01:48:37 pm

scrounger

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Big MO
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2022, 01:48:37 pm »
Made it through the outside nuts now to figure out where the inner ones are. None of them so far are what I would have called tight.

Reply #6September 07, 2022, 08:13:47 pm

scrounger

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Big MO
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2022, 08:13:47 pm »
Here we are about 4 months later. Was getting a good look at the sub frame and saw there is a big part of it rusted through in the back drivers side and the car was  driving so good earlier this year. Maybe the exhaust stud breaking was a savior Kept me from having an accident.