General Information > Troubleshooting

1990 1.6td died while driving

(1/3) > >>

oblique:
Hi folks, just waiting for a tow as i write this.

1990 Jetta, 334kms. Appears to be stock 1.6TD motor, just picked this car up yesterday and was driving it back home.

Car ran ok, would smoke white in startup and make have under accel, power felt ok.

Yesterday eve the temp light was flashing but the temp gauge was ok so i kept driving. Died suddenly, turns over ok but doesnt sound the same, nothing clunky just seems like its missing compression? Good but of oil in the coolant reservoir.

Getting it towed to a diesel shop outside of Edmonton here but Id like to tell him as much as possible...what is the most likely culprit here?

Seller isnt getting to me ;)

Any help greatly appreciated.

ORCoaster:
Sounds like a head gasket failure to me.

fatmobile:
The flashing coolant light is also used to indicate low coolant.

Since it died suddenly, check the timing belt.
Check the coolant level. Sounds like you looked in the coolant reservoir. Probably meant "bit" instead of "but".

Not sure a bad head gasket would cause it to die suddenly. But oil in the coolant means the head gasket will need changed.

oblique:

Thanks guys for replying.

I believe the part number is 068 103 373 but Ill get mech to confirm.

So the cars on Alberta at a diesel shop and Im back in Ontario, thinking best move would be to ship them a new head and have them swap it out along with oil cooler and, full TB kit - that should solve the oil and temp issues? Mech seems to have access to machine shop to rebuild this but again, both are unknown to me. I've asked him to pull the head and assess damage/condition. For example, if the narrows between valves are cracked, is the head still usable?

Where do I get a god head? Right now partsplace is the only viable option - they have reman heads in stock. From what Ive been reading the quality is not the same as it used to be (offshore components, etc) but I don't see any 1.6TD heads posted anywhere.

ORCoaster:
OUCH, that hurts just looking at it. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version