Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: So what do you do when gas is added to your tank unexpectantly  (Read 4268 times)

January 08, 2022, 09:40:00 pm

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Restoring a Caddy as time and weather allows
So what do you do when gas is added to your tank unexpectantly
« on: January 08, 2022, 09:40:00 pm »
Here in Oregon, we are not allowed to fuel our own cars for the most part.  The exceptions are if it is diesel, a motorcycle, or a boat.  Odd rules apply to motor vehicles and gasoline. Given that I still respect the attendant for approaching the car and asking about my needs.  I generally will let them start the pump, do all the discount stuff and let me fill, take the receipt, and go. 

I have learned that they will make a fuss thinking you are trying to fill your tank with gas and they can't allow that.  So I just let them start it and avoid any misunderstandings. 

Today I only needed a few gallons to top off the tank as I was trying to see if my Miles per Gallon were getting any better after getting my pump sorted out for the most part.  Well, the attendant didn't get the fuel request quite right and ended up pumping 2.25 gallons into my nearly full tank of diesel.  He was not happy with himself, to say the least. 

The reason being is that wrapped him up filling out a 6 page incident of misfuelling report.  Then he was supposed to call the tow company and they would take my car to a place unknown to me and drain the tank of the fuel mix. 

I know what some of you are already thinking.  NO PROBLEM HERE!

I told them that the vehicle was built in 1981 and that in the owner's manual there were instructions to add gas to the diesel for extremely cold climates to keep the fuel from freezing.  Now I know that today's fuel is not that from the 1980s.  It lacks the heavy sulfur and lubrication qualities that would offset thinning the fuel with gas.

I told them not to worry, not to tow my car, and stop with the multiple questions from the form.  They were more than happy to comply.  I didn't have to sign a release form or anything and I knew I could drive on the fuel mix with a bit of a tweak to it.

2.25 gallons out of 15 is 17% roughly and the old owner's manual says I could go more than that if I wanted to.  But to offset the fact that now my fuel will burn a bit hotter and I lack any lube qualities I dumped in about 16 or so ounces of automatic transmission fuel.  Watch, in a month from now, when I can again put about 3 gallons in it I will be super mileage at 50 mpg in town.  That would be very funny, but I don't think it will happen. 

I am wondering if there is anything else I should do with that mix.  What do you think?  Drain it and start over or go take a long drive and burn it up.  I was thinking of pulling some out and replacing it with straight diesel but I really don't think I need to do that. 

Any suggestions from the peanut gallery?

Reply #1January 09, 2022, 01:17:36 am

fatmobile

• Veteran

• http://www.geocities.com/vwfatmobile/
Re: So what do you do when gas is added to your tank unexpectantly
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2022, 01:17:36 am »
 I would have probably used 2-stroke oil to thicken it.
Tornado red, '91 Golf 4 door,
with a re-ringed, '84 quantum, turbo diesel, MD block

Reply #2January 09, 2022, 02:20:00 pm

scrounger

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Big MO
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2022, 02:20:00 pm »
ORC
I have to say that you picked the low stress way out of the misfuelling.

What if you had to add over half a tank and didn't spot it. New engine time.

My wife was fueling her mercedes and a worker came running out of the store...." you are filling your car with diesel!"....

Might be good to letter in a sign alongside your filler, Diesel Only.

Your mileage will theoretically be down, gasoline has less energy than diesel.

Adding some heavy oil was a good idea.
M2 Jetta TD.  Northern Missouri

Reply #3January 09, 2022, 03:28:39 pm

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2022, 03:28:39 pm »
Right in the door of the fueling compartment is a Black letter wording that says DIESEL ONLY!   Not sure why that didn't stop him from inserting that regular gas nozzle.  I thought there were different diameters but I guess a smaller diameter one will always go into a larger hole and not get noticed. 

I was just thankful I was only topping off the tank in response to the question here about mileage. 

Normally I put 12 to 13 gallons in it and if that was the case I would have had it towed and drained for sure. 

Reply #4January 09, 2022, 11:04:42 pm

fatmobile

• Veteran

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2022, 11:04:42 pm »
 You might want to put a big diesel sticker on the outside of the fuel door.
I don't have one on mine either.
 In Iowa we pump our own gas but going to another state might cause me problems.

Reply #5January 10, 2022, 01:04:19 am

Dakotakid

• Veteran

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2022, 01:04:19 am »
What would I do? I would put anywhere from 1/2 to 1 quart of 15 weight (aw 46) hydraulic fluid in the tank and go slosh it. Most 2-stroke oil now days is, indeed, ashless. So, that is an alternative.

I have been adding hyd. fluid to diesel fuel for about 20 years. It is ashless and simply leaves a nearly non-existent "shadow" on piston tops which can be wiped clean with a cotton cloth. I know this as I have disassembled my own engines over the years. I usually add about 1 ounce per gallon. Nothing overly scientific.

It does not appear to affect atomization of diesel injectors. I actually use "treated" fuel when I rebuild my own injectors and fire them to set pressures.

I sure am glad YOU live in the little blue state with all it's rules and lawlessness. The only problem I have is that your neighbors are fleeing in droves and are arriving in MY state, bringing their little ideas and voting habits with them. Believe me.....we pump our own fuel.
The mask and the shot(s) are actually an IQ test. If you are wearing or circulating, you just failed the test. I can't feel sorry for you.

Reply #6January 10, 2022, 10:20:51 pm

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2022, 10:20:51 pm »
Those fed up with all the crap south of us find it easy to migrate north.  Much to our displeasure. 

One nice thing about having the diesel is being able to pump my own.  I do let them start the pump so that they don't have a heart attack about me pumping my own GAS.  I can finish off my tank pretty quick as it holds less than half what those Dodge and Fords hold.  I can punch the buttons to get the receipt and be gone before any of those guys or gals comes back to check on my progress.

The truck is running fine for the mix that is in it.  A bit blacker than normal but that might just be me being able to see the tailpipe smoking with the sun still out on the way home tonight.

Reply #7January 10, 2022, 11:40:51 pm

scrounger

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Big MO
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2022, 11:40:51 pm »
Do you think the added smoke is from the ATF oil that you put in or the gasoline?

Reply #8January 11, 2022, 08:18:48 pm

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2022, 08:18:48 pm »
Well, it is black smoke, almost like I am trying to roll coal.  So the fuel mix is not getting burned all the way. Or it is from the addition of the gas.  Does gas not burn with black smoke if you just pour some out and light it? 

I would tend to think that if it was from the ATF it would be more of a bluish color being that it is an oil-based liquid.  It may be that it is so much like oil it is acting like extra diesel in the cylinder and that is just like having the foot down too far on the floor. 

If the sun decides to shine on us this weekend I might dial back the max fuel screw and see if that cuts it back any.  I will likely have to up the idle at the same time. 

Reply #9January 12, 2022, 04:49:11 pm

srgtlord

• Veteran

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2022, 04:49:11 pm »
I actually added 2.5 gallons of gas to my golf up until 2 years ago when I found out the anti-gel stuff works with just a few ounces
« Last Edit: January 12, 2022, 11:16:53 pm by ORCoaster »

Reply #10January 23, 2022, 06:54:03 pm

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2022, 06:54:03 pm »
Update, kinda sorta, maybe new thoughts acted upon.

In the last week or so I have had trouble getting the pickup to roll away from a light and have had real trouble getting it to start when pointed uphill.

So again I thought about poor fueling from the LDA although I did make a note that I have only burned 70 miles of the mixed fuel so maybe that had something to do with it.

RockAuto sent me a note that they had some closeout parts for my cars so I went looking for a front steering boot that goes over the passenger side.  Mine is ripped at the present time. I found instead some rear bearings that I thought I could use and hey what about that fuel filter!

I decided to add the new filter into the system and see if that might be a restriction. 

I also was curious as to the condition of the fuel and filter inside.  I got a clear container and started pouring, ahh what is all that?  Reddish, flakey, floating gunk in there.  Not so good and that really had me curious.  Out comes the hacksaw and round and round we go, what we discover nobody knows. 

Well, I do, so I will tell you.  That thing was nearly plugged across the top of the filter element and between the pleats.

Now I have two ideas, on this, one the filter has not been changed and there are 140,000 miles on it.  The second idea is that the gas into the diesel, with the addition of the ATF got things loose in the tank and I am in for another filter pretty soon.  I looked at the piece of clear line I have prefilter and decided I would replace that with one of those cheap fuel filters and save my more expensive one. 

The problem with that logic is that the new prefilter cost 10 bucks and the main filter sold by RockAuto was closer to 8.50.  But I will see over the course of the week if I will need to be pulling the tank down, and cleaning it out.  I will wait on that until I need to fill up again so I am not struggling with a full tank getting it down.  Why hurt myself?  I already do plenty of that on other things. 

I didn't take it for a test spin but I did run and gun it in the driveway and I still have lots of blue smoke out the tailpipe.  With a new set of nozzles that were pop tested for breaking pressure, I am not sure it isn't more related to the ATF in the fuel right now.  I will run it for a bit and hope I don't get pulled over for "emitting a visible plume".  That is the official wording they use with a diesel pouring out anything other than nice clean air, filled with NOx but hey you can't see that right.

Till later, ORC

Reply #11January 24, 2022, 12:20:15 am

scrounger

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Big MO
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2022, 12:20:15 am »
I bought some parts on ebay that I think included gear shift bushings and 4 vw diesel fuel filters. I installed 2 of them onto my diesel tractors and am on the second one on the vw.  I didn't cut the old one open but changed it as I don't want to wait till it clogs on the road. I suppose I should get another fresh one

I  think you would be wise to drain your tank and start with fresh. Sounds like you might have some water in the mix. If you get stopped for a charge of smoke it will cost probably twice what the fuel is.

I get all my fuel from a truck stop type of place. They have above ground tanks to diminish the likelihood of having water leak into them.

Best of luck.

Reply #12January 24, 2022, 02:11:23 pm

scrounger

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Big MO
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2022, 02:11:23 pm »
I tend to change the fluids and filters on a schedule similar to this>

This is  from PartsPlaceinc.com paper catalog, It's free.

After reviewing  this I thought  what about my manual transmission? Until yesterday I have not had a hex to fit the transmission caps. Have only had the car 12 years, Guess it is time. I suppose I should change it.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2022, 07:33:12 pm by scrounger »

Reply #13January 31, 2022, 09:59:59 am

srgtlord

• Veteran

« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2022, 09:59:59 am »
So it was in the negative digits here in Massachusetts this morning. My fuel gelled up and I was stuck on the side of the road. This is even after using the fancy pants anti-gell stuff recommended for cummins engines. I used 1 gallon of gasoline to defrost the lines and I drove away. What are yall using for anti-gel that actually works besides gasoline? Ive used the same powerservice anti-gel for 7 years and this is the first problem I have had
« Last Edit: January 31, 2022, 10:34:00 am by srgtlord »

Reply #14January 31, 2022, 07:15:26 pm

fatmobile

• Veteran

« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2022, 07:15:26 pm »
A dash-mounted vacuum gauge will let you know there is a fuel line restriction way before you are stuck on the side of the road.

Fixmyvw.com