General Information > Troubleshooting

So what do you do when gas is added to your tank unexpectantly

<< < (2/4) > >>

Dakotakid:
What would I do? I would put anywhere from 1/2 to 1 quart of 15 weight (aw 46) hydraulic fluid in the tank and go slosh it. Most 2-stroke oil now days is, indeed, ashless. So, that is an alternative.

I have been adding hyd. fluid to diesel fuel for about 20 years. It is ashless and simply leaves a nearly non-existent "shadow" on piston tops which can be wiped clean with a cotton cloth. I know this as I have disassembled my own engines over the years. I usually add about 1 ounce per gallon. Nothing overly scientific.

It does not appear to affect atomization of diesel injectors. I actually use "treated" fuel when I rebuild my own injectors and fire them to set pressures.

I sure am glad YOU live in the little blue state with all it's rules and lawlessness. The only problem I have is that your neighbors are fleeing in droves and are arriving in MY state, bringing their little ideas and voting habits with them. Believe me.....we pump our own fuel.

ORCoaster:
Those fed up with all the crap south of us find it easy to migrate north.  Much to our displeasure. 

One nice thing about having the diesel is being able to pump my own.  I do let them start the pump so that they don't have a heart attack about me pumping my own GAS.  I can finish off my tank pretty quick as it holds less than half what those Dodge and Fords hold.  I can punch the buttons to get the receipt and be gone before any of those guys or gals comes back to check on my progress.

The truck is running fine for the mix that is in it.  A bit blacker than normal but that might just be me being able to see the tailpipe smoking with the sun still out on the way home tonight.

scrounger:
Do you think the added smoke is from the ATF oil that you put in or the gasoline?

ORCoaster:
Well, it is black smoke, almost like I am trying to roll coal.  So the fuel mix is not getting burned all the way. Or it is from the addition of the gas.  Does gas not burn with black smoke if you just pour some out and light it? 

I would tend to think that if it was from the ATF it would be more of a bluish color being that it is an oil-based liquid.  It may be that it is so much like oil it is acting like extra diesel in the cylinder and that is just like having the foot down too far on the floor. 

If the sun decides to shine on us this weekend I might dial back the max fuel screw and see if that cuts it back any.  I will likely have to up the idle at the same time. 

srgtlord:
I actually added 2.5 gallons of gas to my golf up until 2 years ago when I found out the anti-gel stuff works with just a few ounces

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version