S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: Starts and dies  (Read 1295 times)

December 02, 2021, 11:24:35 am

Tomoturbo55

• Junior

Starts and dies
« on: December 02, 2021, 11:24:35 am »
Hello dear friends, i own 1.6 td golf 2 engine code RA, I rebuilded engine started on key no problems, now it started accting up it starts and dies if i try to started it spins like no compression, if i leave it for few minutes it fires up but again dies same issue, replaced fuel pump, injectors, camshaft, hydraulic lifters problem stayed, old mechanic told me liffters are getting too much oil making the valves stay open untill oil drains out, changed oil pump wprked for 2 days and again started accting up, im i so lucky that both my oil pumps have bad oil pump regulating valve or could there be another issue?

Reply #1December 02, 2021, 08:11:03 pm

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Restoring a Caddy as time and weather allows
Re: Starts and dies
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2021, 08:11:03 pm »
Since you have two oil pumps I would be for tearing into that regulator spring and reducing the pressure some and see if that helps.  Seems to be the problem for whatever reason.

Reply #2December 03, 2021, 01:43:44 am

fatmobile

• Veteran

• http://www.geocities.com/vwfatmobile/
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2021, 01:43:44 am »
That could be the problem.
 Sometimes the ignition switch only provides power to the injection pump start solenoid
when it's turned on.
 Hit the starter and let go and it shuts off.
 Make sure the stop solenoid always has power.

Do you have clear fuel lines going to and from the injection pump?
Tornado red, '91 Golf 4 door,
with a re-ringed, '84 quantum, turbo diesel, MD block

Reply #3December 03, 2021, 03:44:12 am

Tomoturbo55

• Junior

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2021, 03:44:12 am »
Where is that spring? I dismantled the old oil pump where the 2 rotors are, I can't see the valve or spring, I don't have clear lines but the injection pump is fine it's giving fuel.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2021, 10:04:43 pm by ORCoaster »

Reply #4December 03, 2021, 06:17:03 pm

scrounger

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Big MO
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2021, 06:17:03 pm »
I think fat is thinking that you may be aspirating air into your fuel line. Hence clear lines.

Maybe the voltage on this important connection on the fuel pump is weak or the connection to it is marginal.

Simple first.

What weight oil are you using and what temp range is this in. Do you have an oil pressure gauge?  I generally run 5w40 turbo diesel truck oil in mine

Bentleys does show a spring in the pump and another in the oil filter housing.

Did you adapt your engine to hydraulic lifters from mechanical?

Had a chevy that I over-revved and it pumped up the lifters not letting it start for a while, it was my dad's year old 67 Chevelle. I thought that blew the motor. Was probably at 58-6000 and was warm.

Never revved it that high again.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2021, 10:03:27 pm by ORCoaster »
M2 Jetta TD.  Northern Missouri

Reply #5December 04, 2021, 08:31:31 am

Tomoturbo55

• Junior

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2021, 08:31:31 am »
No engine conversion all stock just rebuilt, I  run 10w40, well I think is oil passages blocked or something with oil definitely, yesterday I cleaned oil pump and unstuck the valve there were small metal shavings, started right up, drove it all good, went to high RPMs, again buzzer and blinking light, tried to start in the morning. Starts right up then shuts down and spins like no compression until oil sets down. Then it starts again with no problem until it overfills lifters then again no compression.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2021, 03:12:12 pm by ORCoaster »

Reply #6December 04, 2021, 10:03:56 am

scrounger

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Big MO
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2021, 10:03:56 am »
If you have an oil blockage to something else besides the lifters you will find out pretty soon what it is.
What oil pressure are you at?
Do you have a magnetic drain plug?
Are you letting the motor warm up?

Reply #7December 04, 2021, 11:37:20 am

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Restoring a Caddy as time and weather allows
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2021, 11:37:20 am »
Metal shavings do not belong in the oil.  So the filter is not getting them out or they come in after the filter.  Probably the case.  Oil filters do have a relief valve built into them that allows free passage of oil at high pressures so that may be why it is not catching them all. 

Time to at least pull the valve cover and inspect for wear on cam and possible places where oil may be collecting due to plugged passages. 

Keep us up to date. 

Reply #8December 05, 2021, 05:05:20 am

Tomoturbo55

• Junior

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2021, 05:05:20 am »
Don't know about oil pressure, no wear on cam or lifters, there were no shavings in the oil pan. Just small ones in the oil pump where the pressure relief valve was causing it to stick. I'll probably try flushing the engine with something, change the filter, and see from there.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2021, 03:09:43 pm by ORCoaster »

Reply #9December 06, 2021, 12:18:44 am

scrounger

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Big MO
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2021, 12:18:44 am »
You might get an oil pressure gauge for it even if only put into the engine compartment to test. Otherwise you won't know how much is too much. There is an oil port on the oil filter area and a second one on the transmission end of the head.

Secondly might want to cut apart your oil filter and see how it looks. I might expect to see  a few chips on a new build.

Do your lifters pump up with normal driving. Is it possible that you can drive your car for a while say a thousand miles and maybe it will fix itself. Does the problem diminish if you let the motor, and oil, get warmed up. 

Is the spring on the oil pump relief the same on both pumps.  Has it been shimmed in an effort to get more pressure on the motor before your rebuilt it.

Would like to know how you end up solving this.

Reply #10December 06, 2021, 12:23:47 am

fatmobile

• Veteran

• http://www.geocities.com/vwfatmobile/
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2021, 12:23:47 am »
Maybe chunks from the intermediate shaft bearings.
Tornado red, '91 Golf 4 door,
with a re-ringed, '84 quantum, turbo diesel, MD block

Reply #11December 06, 2021, 05:58:10 am

Tomoturbo55

• Junior

« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2021, 05:58:10 am »
You might get an oil pressure gauge for it even if only put into the engine compartment to test. Otherwise you won't know how much is too much. There is an oil port on the oil filter area and a second one on the transmission end of the head.

Secondly might want to cut apart your oil filter and see how it looks. I might expect to see  a few chips on a new build.

Do your lifters pump up with normal driving. Is it possible that you can drive your car for a while say a thousand miles and maybe it will fix itself. Does the problem diminish if you let the motor, and oil, get warmed up. 

Is the spring on the oil pump relief the same on both pumps.  Has it been shimmed in an effort to get more pressure on the motor before your rebuilt it.

Would like to know how you end up solving this.
I will cut oil filter, if it starts ita all good, i can get away with it is i leave it for 3 hours as long is not completly cooled down, starts drives fine but it got worse idk if its wearther colder or is building up more metal shavings and plugging something, mybe oil return passages, beffore it would stutter and start now just losses compression unitl few minuters have passed, next week il take the head off and filter and inspect everything. I always get unsolvable problems haha

Reply #12December 08, 2021, 01:26:47 pm

Tomoturbo55

• Junior

« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2021, 01:26:47 pm »
Seems like he hates me, my brother took it and said he started just fine, still has an oil buzzer and light. My brother changed the vacuum pump, said it was sticking. We will change the oil and oil filter and we will see from there. We even changed the sensors so it's probably having some trouble with oil or is bad tacho. He will try to flush the oil passages so we wait for an update, I just can't believe this.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2021, 08:08:29 pm by ORCoaster »

Fixmyvw.com