General Information > General

Heater blower removal

(1/3) > >>

scrounger:
Does the dash have to come out to get the blower out and back in.

Bentley says no. Just remove the lower panel and then the glove box.

Well I have gotten the cover out but had to disconnect the blower from it. Also loosened the engine compartment screw and  the end screw in the dash to get that far. 

I think bentley has a secret or is wrong.

The parts don't look the same as in bentley. The blower is mounted horizontally instead of vertical.

scrounger:
Let me answer how I got it in and out.
Loosened the dash stays  and wriggled and flexed it out and in.  Pretty crappy design but hey 50mpg.

Dakotakid:
Ya, but, what vehicles are "easy" to do this sort of job? The pess runs down my pantleg thinking that SOME DAY I will need to do a heater core in one of the Mk. IV's I have. The last Mk. IV diesel I put back together had a dash fire (blower switch failure) and I had to totally replace the dash and underlying plastic super structure to bring the car back to life. At the time, I was short of money (totally went through the ALH as well) and wimped out on replacing the heater core.

Now....looking back....I should have robbed the liquor store and gotten the money.............

scrounger:
I hear you about switches going bad. Particularly ones that carry a significant amount of power. If there is any loose connection that causes increased resistance you get a lot of heat.

We had a water heater do that. Someone didn't tighten the power connector down well and after hundreds of cycles it got hot causing the electric water heater to catch fire.

scrounger:
Had a 2 hr road trip today. New fan moved a lot more air and was quieter.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version