Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: what kind of fuel stabilizer for long term storage  (Read 3942 times)

November 28, 2021, 08:31:56 pm

scrounger

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Big MO
what kind of fuel stabilizer for long term storage
« on: November 28, 2021, 08:31:56 pm »
We have had a fuel tank here for 10 years. I have used various stabilizers over the years. Last winter when the weather we had some much colder than average temps and I could not get our outside diesels started because of gelling.

To you northerners, what brands of stabilizers have you found to be both effective and cost effective? Last year put an antifungal agent but did not add any defrosting agents.
Thanks

M2 Jetta TD.  Northern Missouri

Reply #1November 29, 2021, 12:28:29 am

Dakotakid

• Veteran

Re: what kind of fuel stabilizer for long term storage
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2021, 12:28:29 am »
No ability to buy some #1 diesel down there? Probably not.

Well, I used to sell a lot of Stanadyne d. fuel additives at my last miserable job. Stanadyne has a cold additive with the green label on it. the The blue label is "everyday" additive in Stanadyne and the brown is the lubricity formula.

Some guys swear by it. Some guys get their rocks off on fat women, too. So, I never know what to believe. 

Let's put it this way...I never had anyone come back and throw a rock or hammer through the window.
The mask and the shot(s) are actually an IQ test. If you are wearing or circulating, you just failed the test. I can't feel sorry for you.

Reply #2November 29, 2021, 01:28:21 pm

scrounger

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Big MO
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2021, 01:28:21 pm »
Thanks
Will give it a try.

Reply #3December 03, 2021, 12:35:30 am

scrounger

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Big MO
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2021, 12:35:30 am »
I finally got a half gallon of this.

Stanadyne had 3 types; a lubricity, a performance and winter.

Almost bought another brand with a better price and tons of generally good reviews, when I spotted a reviewer from North Dakota who said that there were going to add some in their tank and it was froze solid in the original container. Say what!

We don't get ND weather down here but last winter had a bunch of it below -15°. Usually never gets below -5°. It had warmed up but my tractor in the barn had not warmed up and it wouldn't stay running, no way no how. So the snow turned back to ice and our sloped driveway was pretty much impassible even with the 4wd tractor once it got running, unless I drove it around crawling with the bucket rowing me.

We ended up not going off the farm for 2 months.  The trick was that even if we got out we had miles of road just about like our driveway. and then we have to climb back into the driveway. We let the paid delivery people bring it to the gate and brought it up with a sled and spiked shoes.  Fedex or ups were not on the road once for 2 weeks. My wife called their local offices to make sure that they were not going to send stuff back because of non delivery.