Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: Differential flange movement  (Read 3609 times)

August 20, 2021, 12:29:33 am

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Restoring a Caddy as time and weather allows
Differential flange movement
« on: August 20, 2021, 12:29:33 am »
So I am getting this clunking noise from every bump in the road these days.  I have raised the car and the only thing that appears to wiggle, be loose, or otherwise be suspect for noise is the differential. I can move the flanges enough to feel it, maybe 1/16th of an inch.  Just a slip back and forth. 

Is this out of spec?  I didn't consult the Bentley as it is buried at the moment.  Figured a rebuilder here may have a quick answer.  I thought I had loose lug nuts at first, then strut towers but both of those are tight as need to be.

Looking for ideas and places to look.  Figures I sold the spare FF transmission I have held on to for years a few months back.  Isn't that the normal way of things? 

Later.

Reply #1August 20, 2021, 11:36:09 pm

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
Re: Differential flange movement
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2021, 11:36:09 pm »
So today I crawled up under the truck with it up on jackstands.  I beat on everything that is connected to the suspension and axles that I could think of. 

Then I started poking at the front engine mount.  It needed a slight adjustment.  So I did that.  Then I crawled way under the engine and with a flashlight and some poking with the fingers I figured out my passenger side mount is toasted.  I have an extra support and it may have a good mount in it.  If not I will order one and install it in that mount and make it a faster replacement.  I can cut and pound out the bad engine isolator another time. 

I am also going to go back through the extra parts that were supplied with the pick up years ago when I bought it.  There may just be that particular piece in a box in the shed.  It is the bear of the bunch but why the PO didn't replace it when the engine was out is beyond me.  Sometimes things slip through the cracks.

Reply #2August 21, 2021, 01:01:04 am

fatmobile

• Veteran

• http://www.geocities.com/vwfatmobile/
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2021, 01:01:04 am »
 That mount doesn't go out often.
 I've probably only replaced one.
You did shave the strut bushings right?
Brake anti rattle clips would be my first place to look.
Tornado red, '91 Golf 4 door,
with a re-ringed, '84 quantum, turbo diesel, MD block

Reply #3August 21, 2021, 08:46:41 pm

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2021, 08:46:41 pm »
PO had the engine removed prior to me getting the pickup.  He replaced the front, back, and trans side mounts but for whatever reason did not do the passenger side one.  The truck has 145K on it so I suspect the engine mount is the original.  I have only replaced one in the Rabbit when I first got it.  The truck does vibrate from engine RPM at low idle, 900 rpm, so I will be ordering a nice mount this evening.

Strut bushings are tight from the nut on top to the vertical link.

Brakes serviced a bit ago, I finally figured out that you need the Teflon sleeves on the brake runners if you want them to loosen up after you step on them hard.  Clips are snug as a bug in a rug. 

Reply #4August 26, 2021, 07:37:03 am

Ohiobenz

• Junior

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2021, 07:37:03 am »
Most of the time I had "clunks" on my Mk1/2 it was lower ball joints or upper strut mounts. Front motor mount on the Mk2.
'88 Suzuki Samurai with '85 1.6 TD
K14 turbo
BOV eliminated
Giles performance built IP

Reply #5August 26, 2021, 10:58:25 pm

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2021, 10:58:25 pm »
Well, I found the source of the clunking.  Not the flanges.  I lost one of the bolts holding the brake caliper on the driver's side.  As I drove it would rattle and finally let go altogether.  When I applied the brakes the caliper would pull down or inward and rub on the rotor.  Glad I was able to nurse it to the driveway with few stops using the e-brake. 

I put in new bolts with a 17 mm head in place of the 15 mm ones.  Hoping to gain a little more surface area between the caliper and the bolt. 

I should have looked there harder the last time I was under there.  I might have seen the loose bolt before it let go on a major bump in the street. 

All is well for now. 

S-PAutomotive.com