Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: Failing IP?  (Read 1783 times)

September 23, 2021, 09:23:42 am

jhax

• Veteran

Failing IP?
« on: September 23, 2021, 09:23:42 am »
Greetings from Füssen Germany, where my newly purchased T3 with a JX engine. I ended up running it out of fuel, turns out 1/4 tank is actually empty. And the rust particles at the bottom of the tank made it to the fuel filter causing a no start situation.

Managed to change the filter, drive about 100m (we are in Europe now), where it proceeded to die again. I towed it to the local shop where we troubleshot, forced air into the fuel tank while cranking, disconnected the feed line and placed the feed line into a bottle of diesel.

Every time it would idle poorly and die. Throttle response was nihl. When the motor stopped running a large amount of air bubbles flowed back toward the fuel filter. We then held a bottle of diesel fuel above the pump and only then did it run just fine.

The mechanic says the pump is going. I suggested installing a universal 5 gallon per minute inline pump to force fuel into the IP. What are your guys thoughts, input etc? We are here on our honeymoon. We bought this van and intend tho travel around Europe for two weeks then import it back to the states.

Thank you,
Justin

Reply #1September 23, 2021, 07:15:48 pm

libbydiesel

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

Re: Failing IP?
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2021, 07:15:48 pm »
Lift pump will probably work fine. 

Reply #2September 24, 2021, 02:07:08 am

jhax

• Veteran

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2021, 02:07:08 am »
Much obliged! I can think of worse places to be stuck.

Reply #3September 24, 2021, 02:31:18 pm

jhax

• Veteran

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2021, 02:31:18 pm »
Well, they drained the tank of the fuel, it ran for half a mile and died again. So now we are stuck here. The mechanic has another tank which I will be changing out tomorrow.

Reply #4September 25, 2021, 02:26:17 am

fatmobile

• Veteran

• http://www.geocities.com/vwfatmobile/
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2021, 02:26:17 am »
If the fuel flies back to the tank when shut off
there is probably a fuel line restriction.
Oh wait it flowed not flies.

First, it sounds like you do have clear fuel line to the pump.
Get a clear line coming from the pump?
A bad mainshaft seal will often have clear fuel going into the pump and foam coming out.

A vacuum gauge connected to the fuel line will let you know when there is a restriction way before you have problems.

When you pressurise the tank you put pressure on the fuel leaving the tank and coming into the tank from the pump.
Basically pressurising both sides of the pump. This might push fuel out the mainshaft seal if it's bad
 You would have to disconnect the return line and plug the line going back to the tank for it to mean anything.

Wait,.. So you tried to bottle feed it and had the same problem?
Stick your finger in behind the pump sprocket and see if it comes back wet.

I suspect a bad mainshaft seal.
 The area behind the mainshaft seal connects to the pump input.
 If air is getting pulled past the seal, when you shut it off this air will come out the front of the pump and run back toward the filter.

This can be changed with the pump on the car.
 Clamp the belt to the IP sprocket and cam sprocket, remove the IP sprocket let it hang by the belt.
 Pry the old seal out with the special homemade screwdriver and put another seal in.
Tornado red, '91 Golf 4 door,
with a re-ringed, '84 quantum, turbo diesel, MD block

S-PAutomotive.com