S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: Realistic HP for mTDI  (Read 7240 times)

July 17, 2021, 05:42:09 pm

mammonista

• Junior

Realistic HP for mTDI
« on: July 17, 2021, 05:42:09 pm »
So a few years ago I swapped a 1Z (96' Passat TDI) motor into an '83 Mk1 Jetta coupe. Never got much farther than installing the motor trans and she went up on blocks when life happened. This is what I did at the time. Bought a Rover 300tdi pump (?) from England and some Bosio DLC520 injectors. Has a massive air-to-air intercooler in front of where the radiator but the turbo is stock. I've almost zero experience with TDIs much less mTDIs.
Here's my question...
What kind of horsepower can I reasonable expect from this motor when I get it running? Somebody tells me it will be less than an electronic pump TDI. Is that true?
And should I want more hp in the future how does that happen? Bigger turbo? Turn up the fueling? Just curious.

If it doesn't fit force it. If it breaks it needed replacing anyway!

Reply #1July 17, 2021, 07:13:45 pm

libbydiesel

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

Re: Realistic HP for mTDI
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2021, 07:13:45 pm »
What kind of horsepower can I reasonable expect from this motor when I get it running? Somebody tells me it will be less than an electronic pump TDI. Is that true?
And should I want more hp in the future how does that happen? Bigger turbo? Turn up the fueling? Just curious.

Nope, that's completely false.  Whoever said that does not have a decent understanding of the differences between mTDI's and eTDI's.  An LR300TDI pump on a Mk3 TDI will noticeably outperform the stock electronic engine management.  Larger injectors make a big difference also and tuning the max fuel on an mTDI is usually as simple as turning the max fuel screw and adjusting the idle screw afterwards.  Larger turbos are also certainly a possibility, and a long conversation.   

Reply #2July 21, 2021, 01:26:50 am

fatmobile

• Veteran

• http://www.geocities.com/vwfatmobile/
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2021, 01:26:50 am »
I'm just getting into the TDIs.
I have a stock 2000 Jetta.
 My 1.6TD Rabbit with a VNT-15 can beat it.

My MK2 MTDI Golf is way faster than the Rabbit.
Granted mine has a 12mm pump.
Got the DLC520s too.
 But it still has the stock VNT-15.
That's what limits it's speed at this point.
 Not enough air for the fuel.

I let my neighbor drive it last night.
 He has a mildly hopped-up chevy diesel.
 He was shocked how fast the boost and EGTs went up.
 Can't floor it. Can only push the peddle about half way after each shift.
 Next thing you know you're going 70mph.
Tornado red, '91 Golf 4 door,
with a re-ringed, '84 quantum, turbo diesel, MD block

Reply #3July 29, 2021, 01:36:42 pm

mammonista

• Junior

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2021, 01:36:42 pm »
So what's the 'easy' fix/replacement for the 'little' gt15 turbo? I'm guessing there isn't one?
And as it sits with the rover 300 pump and the bosio dlc 520 nozzles and 'stage 1' tune (from Kerma), and an intercooler of course, realistically what am I  looking at for hp and torque ?

Reply #4July 29, 2021, 02:30:55 pm

libbydiesel

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2021, 02:30:55 pm »
Probably the simplest 'fix' for the VNT-15 are to replace it with a wastegated turbo/manifold that came on one of the earlier VW diesels. 

100 hp? 

I don't see how a kerma stage 1 tune would have any effect an mTDI.

Reply #5July 29, 2021, 11:12:57 pm

mammonista

• Junior

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2021, 11:12:57 pm »
Big day in the life of my Mk1 coupe.... I got the mTDI running. I say this is a big day because this motor hasn't been started in about five years, and it's never run with the Rover mechanical pump. When I did the motor swap back in late 2016 I barely had time to bolt up the motor/trans and get the injector pump hooked up and we had to move 2-thousand miles to Oregon. Since then the car has been on jackstands in the garage.
Today I finally got the new turbo oil return line hooked up, ran some diesel into the pump, hooked up the battery and...she squirted diesel fuel everywhere from the injector lines that I hadn't tightened five years ago. So I tightened all the lines and she fired on the first turn! Yeah! Immediately turned it off as there's no coolant, water pump, radiator, pulleys, alternator, exhaust, turbo hook-up, etc. But she fired!
Yeah! I'm stoked!

Reply #6July 29, 2021, 11:52:48 pm

fatmobile

• Veteran

• http://www.geocities.com/vwfatmobile/
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2021, 11:52:48 pm »
Right on.
 Glad you got to hear it run.

I'm thinking maybe a VNT-17 turbo might be enough.
 Along with an intercooler.

Mine already has 2.5" exhaust, that's big enough.
Tornado red, '91 Golf 4 door,
with a re-ringed, '84 quantum, turbo diesel, MD block

Reply #7August 03, 2021, 06:05:05 pm

mammonista

• Junior

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2021, 06:05:05 pm »
I'm completely ignorant on these little engines although I've owned about a half-dozen (or more) VWs with 1.6na, 1.6td, 1.9 idi td, 1.9 tdi engines.
I currently own Vanomo, my DIY DOKA that runs the 1.9idi td. More than enough power but it only came alive with the smaller turbo as the big one took forever to spool up.

Reply #8January 17, 2022, 02:07:36 pm

Chuck1978

• Junior

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2022, 02:07:36 pm »
Mammonista, try looking up a Holset HE200WG turbo. 4cm or 5cm exhaust housing. They are very well proven turbos for these engines, even a performance tuned 1.6TD does awesome with a 4cm HE200WG.
Look up a CTS Turbo 2.0 ABA turbo manifold. It'll angle the turbo up like the IDI TD manifolds and can easily be adapted to.

Reply #9January 22, 2022, 04:10:52 pm

cuban11182

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2022, 04:10:52 pm »
Mammonista, try looking up a Holset HE200WG turbo. 4cm or 5cm exhaust housing. They are very well proven turbos for these engines, even a performance tuned 1.6TD does awesome with a 4cm HE200WG.
Look up a CTS Turbo 2.0 ABA turbo manifold. It'll angle the turbo up like the IDI TD manifolds and can easily be adapted to.

Garrett also released a new line of GBC turbos as well with billet wheels. I was debating the GBC17-250 but went with the 5CM HE200WG for my setup. I have a feeling I'll be offloading my eTDI setup once I get gears finished, tires, and test it out.

S-PAutomotive.com