Engine Specific Info and Questions > mTDI Mechanical TDI Conversions

Realistic HP for mTDI

(1/2) > >>

mammonista:
So a few years ago I swapped a 1Z (96' Passat TDI) motor into an '83 Mk1 Jetta coupe. Never got much farther than installing the motor trans and she went up on blocks when life happened. This is what I did at the time. Bought a Rover 300tdi pump (?) from England and some Bosio DLC520 injectors. Has a massive air-to-air intercooler in front of where the radiator but the turbo is stock. I've almost zero experience with TDIs much less mTDIs.
Here's my question...
What kind of horsepower can I reasonable expect from this motor when I get it running? Somebody tells me it will be less than an electronic pump TDI. Is that true?
And should I want more hp in the future how does that happen? Bigger turbo? Turn up the fueling? Just curious.

libbydiesel:

--- Quote from: mammonista on July 17, 2021, 05:42:09 pm ---What kind of horsepower can I reasonable expect from this motor when I get it running? Somebody tells me it will be less than an electronic pump TDI. Is that true?
And should I want more hp in the future how does that happen? Bigger turbo? Turn up the fueling? Just curious.
--- End quote ---

Nope, that's completely false.  Whoever said that does not have a decent understanding of the differences between mTDI's and eTDI's.  An LR300TDI pump on a Mk3 TDI will noticeably outperform the stock electronic engine management.  Larger injectors make a big difference also and tuning the max fuel on an mTDI is usually as simple as turning the max fuel screw and adjusting the idle screw afterwards.  Larger turbos are also certainly a possibility, and a long conversation.   

fatmobile:
I'm just getting into the TDIs.
I have a stock 2000 Jetta.
 My 1.6TD Rabbit with a VNT-15 can beat it.

My MK2 MTDI Golf is way faster than the Rabbit.
Granted mine has a 12mm pump.
Got the DLC520s too.
 But it still has the stock VNT-15.
That's what limits it's speed at this point.
 Not enough air for the fuel.

I let my neighbor drive it last night.
 He has a mildly hopped-up chevy diesel.
 He was shocked how fast the boost and EGTs went up.
 Can't floor it. Can only push the peddle about half way after each shift.
 Next thing you know you're going 70mph.

mammonista:
So what's the 'easy' fix/replacement for the 'little' gt15 turbo? I'm guessing there isn't one?
And as it sits with the rover 300 pump and the bosio dlc 520 nozzles and 'stage 1' tune (from Kerma), and an intercooler of course, realistically what am I  looking at for hp and torque ?

libbydiesel:
Probably the simplest 'fix' for the VNT-15 are to replace it with a wastegated turbo/manifold that came on one of the earlier VW diesels. 

100 hp? 

I don't see how a kerma stage 1 tune would have any effect an mTDI.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version