Author Topic: 1992 1.6TD ECOdiesel  (Read 3727 times)

July 10, 2021, 08:24:40 pm

KCroz1104

1992 1.6TD ECOdiesel
« on: July 10, 2021, 08:24:40 pm »
was searching through a few forums and I read that a way to get a bit more power from the ole 1.6 ECO for basically free is to mess with the fuel screw on the injection pump, I did that, the screw itself was extremely rusty, and extremely weak apparently, so I tightened the locknut and must have tightened it a bit TOO tight because it ended up snapping in half inside the pump, everything behind the locknut is inside the IP, i have the locknut and whats left of the screw itself atm. What can I do? New injection pump? Still starts and runs but at low revs, low enough to the point that I have to pull the cold start lever out to keep it running or it will stall. Is it safe to run the car with the snapped in half fuel screw? Not sure what steps to take from here

Reply #1July 10, 2021, 10:25:58 pm

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Restoring a Caddy as time and weather allows
Re: 1992 1.6TD ECOdiesel
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2021, 10:25:58 pm »
You could turn up the idle a bit using the adjustment screw for that.  That will help you, the cold start lever is not normally used as a fast idle adjustment. 

To get a replacement fuel screw I can think of a couple of possibilities.  Giles a world-famous pump rebuilder may have a spare he could sell ya.  Otherwise, you may be hunting on Craigslist for a core body just to extract the screw and locknut for your IP. 

Getting the old fuel screw out is going to be tricky.  I don't think I would risk a drill and easy out for that.  Too much can go wrong with that and then you are looking at Craigslist for a new IP.  Maybe some epoxy-type glue on the end of a piece of a rod might work.  Getting epoxy on the threads may be counterproductive but if you make it really thick and have the pump tipped up on its nose you may get it on there without a lot getting on the threads. 

Good luck with it. 

Reply #2July 12, 2021, 11:59:23 pm

fatmobile

• Veteran

• http://www.geocities.com/vwfatmobile/
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2021, 11:59:23 pm »
 You might have to pull the top to get the broken piece out ya brute.
 Might as well get a DGK-126 seal set before you open it up.
Not hard to find a new max fuel screw.
I have a spare.
Tornado red, '91 Golf 4 door,
with a re-ringed, '84 quantum, turbo diesel, MD block

Reply #3July 13, 2021, 02:43:24 pm

KCroz1104

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2021, 02:43:24 pm »
You might have to pull the top to get the broken piece out ya brute.
 Might as well get a DGK-126 seal set before you open it up.
Not hard to find a new max fuel screw.
I have a spare.
I cant find a fuel screw to save my life, Im only 16 so im new with all this haha. Im going to be driving it to a shop next week on the 20th for a new clutch, only 10 or so miles. do you think that would be a problem since the fuel screw is snapped off inside? I took it out for a drive yesterday night after adjusting the revs to compensate for the loss of power after over-adjustment of the fuel screw and it ran like normal, just with basically no power, took forever to switch gears even in 2nd. Also any ideas where to find a new fuel screw? I've been looking in forums, euro car part sites, everywhere. Can't find one.

Reply #4July 13, 2021, 10:29:42 pm

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2021, 10:29:42 pm »
buy the one fatmobile has as a spare.  The fastest way that I know of.  I can't remember if I ever saw a place that sells spare parts for the Bosch IP. 

Does anyone have a link for that?  Maybe some of these rebuilders know of one.

Reply #5July 13, 2021, 11:01:26 pm

KCroz1104

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2021, 11:01:26 pm »
A guy from vwvortex is getting ready to send me a replacement tomorrow from a IP he tore down. Any other tips on getting the old one out? I may take it to an auto mechanic near me and have him get it out and put the new one in if possible.

Reply #6July 14, 2021, 10:22:22 pm

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2021, 10:22:22 pm »
I am wondering if you can pop the top off of the IP and remove the internals enough to get a grab on the inner part of the screw and turn it enough to get it to back out far enough to get a piece of it on the outside and continue to remove it. 

Got a set of counterclockwise drills?  They sometimes bite into a bolt and just spin it out. 

Reply #7July 15, 2021, 01:37:38 am

KCroz1104

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2021, 01:37:38 am »
Im wondering the same thing, a buddy recommended me to grab on the end of the screw sticking out inside the injection pump with pliers and just turn it until I can get it through the outside of the IP. It was also recommended to spray pb blaster into the hole where the screw should be on the outside of the Injection Pump to get the screw loose everyday for a couple days until I decide to try and get it out. Would this be effective? I also heard drilling it out could potentially ruin the injection pump by getting metal shavings in the internals aswell, that or it could ruin the thread in the IP. Is that a concern? i would assume not if I just drill it out slowly. My dad has left hand drill bits and easy outs that I could use. I asked an uploader on youtube that disassembled a bosch ve and he said if I can get ahold of the end of the screw inside the IP that I can just screw it out by hand. Not sure what the best/safest method would be.

Reply #8July 15, 2021, 11:21:18 pm

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2021, 11:21:18 pm »
I would say the safest method is to get at it from the inside of the pump.  I would not risk drilling unless it is ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY.  Like you say, damage to threads, shavings in the pump, and all sorts of bad things will happen unless everything goes like perfect.  And when was the last time working on a VW went that way? 

Pop the top and try from the inside.  That is where I would start.  Go slow and don't force it.  PB Blaster soak is a great idea.

Reply #9July 19, 2021, 03:40:33 pm

KCroz1104

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2021, 03:40:33 pm »
got the old screw out after taking the top off the pump and putting the pump back together, I put the new screw in and it seems as if the new screw is pushing up against the throttle, I tighten it and the throttle moves. Loosen it and the throttle goes back to normal. Any ideas?

Reply #10July 19, 2021, 10:30:45 pm

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2021, 10:30:45 pm »
That does not sound right.  Possibly something not together right inside the pump?  The screw pushes on a part that controls fuel feed, not throttle linkage. 

Reply #11July 19, 2021, 11:45:03 pm

KCroz1104

« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2021, 11:45:03 pm »
I was able to fix the screw from hitting anything. But now i start the car, it runs EXTREMELY rough, car is shaking, i have a video of the engine bay when im in the car, i press the gas pedal a few times. throttle control lever moves everytime i press the gas pedal (like it normally would) but the RPM doesn't change, like theres no power, even though i'm pressing the pedal and revving it up. I take my foot off the pedal and the RPMs rise very quickly almost like it’s running away. then i turned the car off. no idea what is happening

Reply #12July 20, 2021, 11:15:51 pm

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2021, 11:15:51 pm »
When I have that pedal down no increase in RPM I generally have the fuel screw backed out just a tiny bit too far.  If I screw it in like a quarter of a turn the pedal does become responsive.  I may need to turn it a bit more in order to get the truck to move up an incline away from the house. 

The near run-away that you describe is very odd.  It is almost like the springs are not engaged on the throttle and it just pushes it around.  The governor should be preventing that.  The counterweights keep pressure on the control mechanism.  Maybe that is not adjusted tight enough?  I think it is a counter-clockwise thread so more pressure would be like taking it off. 

Reply #13July 29, 2021, 12:10:27 am

fatmobile

• Veteran

• http://www.geocities.com/vwfatmobile/
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2021, 12:10:27 am »
That's weird.
 With your foot on the peddle no RPMs.
 Then you take your foot off and RPMs increase.

All I can guess is you put the spring on wrong.
So instead of pulling on the internal lever it's pushing on it.

On another note:
 The max fuel screw needs to be backed out all the way to put the top back on,.. then screw it in.
Tornado red, '91 Golf 4 door,
with a re-ringed, '84 quantum, turbo diesel, MD block

Fixmyvw.com