Author Topic: Worst possible nut or bolt to remove  (Read 2305 times)

January 31, 2021, 10:21:50 pm

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Restoring a Caddy as time and weather allows
Worst possible nut or bolt to remove
« on: January 31, 2021, 10:21:50 pm »
Over the last two days I have been trying to get some of the parts and pieces I have picked up here and there in the caddy.  I had a new dash panel, a cluster with a recently converted tach, Thanks Libby for the help on that.  I also picked up a new momentary switch to use as a starter button.  The front speakers I got from a guy in NJ came with cut out brackets and I really wanted to get the tunes done and move on to the other parts.

So here is the problem, I needed to get access to that 7mm bolt that is also holding the defroster channel in so I could swap my brackets with the customized ones that made the speakers sit down in the hole.  I see so many of those front speakers without covers and I didn't want that.  I believe that trying to get to that bolt is the absolute worst for any on the VW.  I didn't want to remove the dash, I pulled the two screws and moved it out a bit but to get the head of the bolt was done with a wrench one partial turn with a wrench flip then another. 

Continue that until it was loose enough to get a finger on and spin it.  That is easier for me to do with the right hand as my left has been through a table saw in the past and the finger and thumb are there but have dead spots.  I can't really tell if I am doing what needs to be done when using them if I can't see them. 

So my question is not if anyone has done this before but is this:

What is the worst bolt or nut you have ever had to remove to do the job you needed to get done?

I have most of the parts back on but the torrential river of water pouring on me today cut me short.  Radio sounds so much better with 4 speakers working. 

Reply #1January 31, 2021, 11:43:53 pm

fatmobile

• Veteran

• http://www.geocities.com/vwfatmobile/
Re: Worst possible nut or bolt to remove
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2021, 11:43:53 pm »
 While we are talking about Mk1s.
A couple bolts I dread are the ones holding the AC heater fan cover on
in the raintray.
For the one on the right I've been able to wedge a wrench in under the foam under the dash.
And hold  the nut while I unscrew it from the raintray.
The driver's side needs 2 people, even if it's just the neighbor kid, ha.
 I should look for a set of rivnuts or something for next time.
Tornado red, '91 Golf 4 door,
with a re-ringed, '84 quantum, turbo diesel, MD block

Reply #2February 01, 2021, 08:24:58 pm

Rabbit79

• Junior

• Personal Text
    Burns, Oregon,USA
Re: Worst possible nut or bolt to remove
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2021, 08:24:58 pm »
Well.... If you're not restricting to just V-dubs, I can remember clear back to when I was in the Navy working on the Grumman A-6E Intruder attack aircraft. We had to change a little electronic box called the 'stab position transmitter'. It was clear back in the tail of the airplane and you could only get to it through a small access panel. It was only held in by 4 screws but you had to be a circus contortionist to get to this thing. Took me and another guy 6 hours to get that thing out. That was one of those cases where you swear they started with that little box and then designed the entire airplane around it.
Current: 1979 Rabbit 4dr
            1984 F-250
            1999 Ford Ranger
Other v-dubs I've owned:
84 Rabbit
78 Rabbit (gasoline) flipped it end over end after driving all night and falling asleep at the wheel. RIP, it was a good little car.
70 Bug