Author Topic: 1Z/AAZ mTDI Build  (Read 4473 times)

January 21, 2021, 09:38:43 am

a2lute

1Z/AAZ mTDI Build
« on: January 21, 2021, 09:38:43 am »
So I'm building a mtdi over the course of the next year or so as a project. I picked up a 1Z pretty cheap along with an ALH 10mm IP and an AAZ IP. Those two pumps are both cores and will need work to get where I want them, but hey, it's a project for fun. Libby has given me a few pointers along with a few other websites. the AAZ pump isn't super optimal in stock form for an mTDI. however I'm pretty good at fabrication and I think I can get most of it's flaws worked out.

From the start I'm adding a timing advance spacer to get more advance at high RPMs, an aftermarket boost pin, rebuilt injectors set to higher pressure, and I plan on a lift pump when installed in a vehicle.

Libby pointed out these issues: "the boost enrichment is terrible (improved with boost pin), the timing advance curve is wrong, the control collar lever assembly is bad and the accelerator lever assembly is bad.I plan on doing a variation of "HEY"'s lever modification  IMO not a pump worth starting with. "

A member on the Samba called "?Waldo?", seems to post very similar to libby actually pointed out a few more things. smaller plunger, bad cam plate for a tdi. I am borrowing both of these from the ALH donor. the timing advance is incorrect for a TDI. This I would argue. A softer spring and faster advance is sought after for performance mTDI pumps. the AAZ has a much softer spring, but it does has less travel, hence the spacer.

So it seems there is a bit of work if you want this pump to perform. I'm going to give it a shot since I got it quite cheap. If anyone has any constructive criticism or know more flaws to work on I'm open to hearing them. Without further ado, here we go.

Here is the TDI camplate and rollers, I didn't document much of the ALH teardown, it is very simple.

10mm head, I will clean this up more later. I have already soda blasted this. I may tear it apart and remove the rust from this. Evaporust would be my weapon of choice for a delicate part like this.

All ALH parts, I'm keeping these for spares, etc. Or if anyone needs the parts. IDK.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2021, 09:47:47 am by a2lute »

Reply #1January 21, 2021, 10:08:10 am

a2lute

Re: 1Z/AAZ mTDI Build
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2021, 10:08:10 am »
Jesus, after about 20 edits I figured out how to post pictures, and not gigantic.

This is about what I started with. One spring, spacer, and bolts are missing. I'm not to concerned about this. I'll set up a different stop and use the lower shock lever.

Throttle plates removed. They were marked with a center punch, I deepened the marks after I pulled it off.
]https://i.ibb.co/TgFL0Xg/AAZ-idle-and-stops.jpg[/img]
Here's the start of the shennanigans, the high idle lever has been adjusted to where it CANNOT move. considering this car came with the AC boost cable/valve I'm not sure what that was all about.

This is where I have my work cut out for me. I got the screw out, half the flat was broken off, seized, and the threads were trashed. I will have to TIG up the missing threads and tap them. Along with ordering a new screw. I think the bit of hose was because the screw was too short after they messed with the high idle lever.

Reply #2January 21, 2021, 10:32:00 am

a2lute

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2021, 10:32:00 am »
Okay, up next is pulling the LDA. Was kind of a PITA, the idle speed got hung up on the governor for a bit. I also believe the governor spring is missing on the end, just two metal plates there.

You can kinda make out the missing spring here. you can see there is no rust inside, just a bit of varnish.

Governor removed, that shim will NOT come off. the housing and that shim are sitting in the parts washer overnight.

The worst of the varnish on the housing is here. 90% of that came off overnight in the parts washer.

At this point I have both pumps disassembled as far as I plan to. I had considered machining the AAZ for the larger shaft of the ALH but I have talked to several people with over 50k on the 17mm mTDI pumps. Just don't go for broke with your hp/torque and it seems they are fine. I will be cleaning parts over the next week or two getting ready for reassembly. I have my new boost pin and timing spacer on hand, but no seal kit. USPS has been slow lately.

Reply #3January 21, 2021, 05:08:21 pm

libbydiesel

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2021, 05:08:21 pm »
I am ?Waldo? on thesamba.com so similar posts between the 'two of us' is to be expected (unless time has passed enough for me to change my mind about something).  :)

Good luck on the build.

Reply #4January 25, 2021, 08:22:51 am

a2lute

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2021, 08:22:51 am »
Minor update, cleaned housing some more. I've ordered a vibratory tumbler to clean these parts. I think that would work better to get a good finish on these. I'm familiar with using those, as long as you use GOOD quality duck tape and bolts to close small openings they do a great job.

My preffered weapon of choice for aluminum cleaning

And the vane pump outer ring I did not realize was still in the housing fell out when I was heating the casting to accelerate the cleaning reaction... ::)

Reply #5January 25, 2021, 09:24:12 pm

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Restoring a Caddy as time and weather allows
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2021, 09:24:12 pm »
That last picture looks kind of snotty.  Not an ideal pump housing.

Reply #6January 26, 2021, 07:59:49 am

a2lute

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2021, 07:59:49 am »
That last picture looks kind of snotty.  Not an ideal pump housing.

The inside bore looked good to me, but what should I be looking at? and what is "snotty"?

Reply #7January 26, 2021, 10:26:19 pm

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2021, 10:26:19 pm »
I was referring to the stuff on the paper towel.  That yellow looking gunk.  Is that not the varnish you removed from the inside? 

If it looks all clean and shiny then you are good to go.  A yellow look would not be OK. 

Reply #8January 27, 2021, 08:53:45 am

a2lute

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2021, 08:53:45 am »
woo, all good. That yellow gunk is fluid film to protect it in storage.

Reply #9January 27, 2021, 07:58:33 pm

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2021, 07:58:33 pm »
I did go back and look at the pictures and saw that the inside of the pump was all shiny in one of them.

Reply #10February 03, 2021, 03:41:16 am

JFKO

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2021, 03:41:16 am »
nice build will be following :) i tried my hand with making my own franken pump back in the days, but it never really ran well but got great mileage until it sprung a major leak from the pump. ironically it was on my way to get a new pump :P it lost about 40 liters of diesel before i noticed, i had some stuff blocking the fuel gauge :/ but i did wonder why i had to use my wiper on the back when it wasn't raining :D

Anyway GL with the build
1991 Golf Mk2 AHU MTDI and AAZ T3 Single cab