S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: adapting a 1.6 na or td to a newer body while refreshing the original motor.  (Read 4850 times)

November 17, 2020, 11:23:18 am

rollinhome

Hello all vw fans..my current 1990 passat wagon (body) is coming close to passing the tipping point of repair value. many improvements are needed. i am wondering how much work is it to swap my passats 1.6na into an alh body...i have read conflicting information..most confirm a bolt swap up to the ahu tranny and mount bosses. some threads indicate that i could bolt this motor up the bew years tranny though engine mounts would need to be modified.

i want a wagon (work) and very few r available in the ahu..cars come with high miles and so swapping my "known" engine would give me time to go through what ever motor is currently in the new wagon,..i'm in the midwest and can travel for a solid body.

ray

Reply #1November 20, 2020, 08:48:49 pm

rollinhome

for clarification, im looking for swap info that discusses the 1.6na swapped into a newer alh body..

Reply #2November 20, 2020, 09:13:11 pm

libbydiesel

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

I think it would be a total pain in the ass that wouldn't be worth doing.  The thought of installing a 1.6TD into an ALH chassis just makes me cringe.
 A small hurdle would be replacing the pedal potentiometer and adding an accelerator cable.  I think that a bigger hurdle would be getting any gauges working, all of which run through the ECU.  Unless your time is not worth anything at all, you'd probably be better off just selling the 1.6TD and if you happen to need another running vehicle while working on your ALH ride, then get a SECOND ALH.  If you keep up on the basics, the ALH is bombproof and probably the most robust engine VW has made.  The ALH vehicles are also at the very bottom of the value curve so it is a good time to pick them up.

Fixmyvw.com