S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: rant alert  (Read 3162 times)

October 13, 2020, 01:57:17 pm

sgnimj96

• Junior

rant alert
« on: October 13, 2020, 01:57:17 pm »
The old vw diesels just don't have that many problems compared to the newer cars.    Most all of the issues are solved and questions answered many times over here.   People don't have to post new threads.
Go to new model forums,  lots threads and lots of questions , not many answers.
I don't even like the new washing machines,  went and bought one for my dad and department guy tells me the 'mother boards' go bad on them and cost as much as new one.

What we really need is a company to start reproducing our cars again  - imagine reproduction mk1 scirocco's with m-tdi ALH engines that got 75mpg.  People would love it,  wouldn't even cost that much to make em.
But thanks to political and corporate restrictions,  that's not happening

The ones saving what's still available and building these vehicles themselves, those are the people posting here.

People *** about environmentalism,  biodiesels like that from algae could "save the planet" and the old VW diesels have been ready for decades to make that happen...  then here comes government to run vw off for cutting into U.S. sales of over-engineered crap.   Just look at junkyards today,  piled high with nice looking cars nobody wants to deal with.

81 Scirocco 1.6D (conversion)    86 Gofl 1.6D      2003 Golf Tdi   1985 300TD

Reply #1October 14, 2020, 12:06:08 am

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Restoring a Caddy as time and weather allows
Re: rant alert
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2020, 12:06:08 am »
sgnimj96, I think the old VW's have a different set of problems that the new cars do not.  The largest part of getting to a solution on an older VW is that you have to have the working knowledge of the mechanics of the beast.  And that knowledge is lost to many.  We are a rare breed that actually can think about how VW designed the car and find the solution.

With new cars and all the electronics on them you are at the mercy of programmers, sensors giving the right reading, voltage and current fluctuations and electrical gremlins.  I would rather bang my head against a mechanical problem than an electrical one any day.  The variables are less and more measurable. 

As for new washing machines, they are built to last about 3 months beyond the 3 yr warranty.  Some manufacturers have gone to a one year warranty.  What does that tell you about their confidence in their product.  At one time it was a badge of honor to have something last 10 or 15 years.  But you don't sell as many units if they last that long.  So use cheaper components, and make more profit!   The American dream.

The problem with getting a company to start rebuilding our machines is that they would be under a new set of mandates and likely couldn't meet the mark.  Seriously, what sort of crash rating do you think an old MK1 Rabbit would earn nowadays?  One, one half?  It is a tin box with not much to safe the occupants.  That is why they were designed to go about 70 mph max. 

The reason junk yards are piled with so many vehicles that no one wants is because they have been tricked into thinking new is always better.  No one holds on to a car or truck for any amount of time now because they use them differently now and run up the miles on the odometer and think it is time to get something that isn't going to start breaking down.  Again back to building for planned obsolsesence.

OK, enough RANT from me.

Reply #2October 14, 2020, 10:25:06 am

libbydiesel

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2020, 10:25:06 am »
I have ~15 years on my Maytag Neptune washer and dryer set... which I bought used.  I replaced the board on the dryer, but the failure was due to my own error.  I have also replaced a couple of seals/bearings on them over the years but they continue to work fine.  They are simple machines and parts are available.  I plan on keeping them going until parts are no longer available.  I would definitely get another used Maytag Neptune set before buying a set of new machines and in looking at prices on Craigslist, used sets are available and affordable.

Our whole society and way of life is insane.  It is set up to force or entice individuals to consume resources at the fastest rate possible.  Insane.

Reply #3October 14, 2020, 05:57:23 pm

RustyCaddy

• Veteran

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2020, 05:57:23 pm »
Couldn't agree more.  The Rabbit truck is 40yrs old now; the next oldest appliance is our Kenmore dryer at 30 years (replaced some seals and pulleys 4 years ago and just keeps on going); cost-wise it's like an electric clothes line  ;)
« Last Edit: October 14, 2020, 10:45:03 pm by ORCoaster »

Reply #4October 14, 2020, 10:44:19 pm

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2020, 10:44:19 pm »
I think your comment about using resources as fast as possible is a new way, short-sighted but hey it's all about ME FIRST now right. 

Being one of seven kids, one parent working and not many savings going on we kids learned early on that if we want it, go work for it.  I think that work ethic is nearly gone in the younger generation of today.  It's more like what are you going to give me?

I applaud all those 20-30 year-olds that don't have that about them.  At least there is hope.  But when I look about town and see all the homeless, street corner beggars and those with signs that say need work but when you ask them what work they can do for you they demand money.  What????

When it comes to rebuilding old appliances or anything really, I use the one third principle.  If the repair is more than one third of a new one I do it.  Otherwise I start shopping for a good used one or new.
I found that my gas heater in the addition has a weak micro volt generator, or thermopile.  It causes the control valve to open when the thermostat asks for heat.  I was prepping for winter a few weeks ago and noticed it wouldn't always respond to a call for heat.

I tried to buy a new generator but the "universal" ones in town just didn't fit well so I couldn't improve the voltage I was getting even if I put it smack dab in the middle of the flame front.  I looked on line and the new ones made for the stove were between 125 and 86 bucks.  I happened to click on the used and clearance tab on one site and what the heck?  A complete set of pilot light, thermocouple, thermopile and the plate they are mounted on for 82 bucks.  Gotta have that!  Boom it was here from Canada in like 10 days.  I labelled it and put it on the shelf for when the current one goes south on me in the middle of a cold snap. 

I guess the reason I own two Rabbits now is that I enjoy driving in something that was well designed and built and was a conservative mode of transportation.  I don't need to drive 90 mph even for short bursts so I only needed the 50 some hp that the Rabbit came with.  I did put a turbo on the pick-up but only so I could haul a good size load and not be a hazard to all the others around me. 

I do get a lot of looks driving the OLD beaters but mostly from those that drove them when they were also in college and needed to save money getting to school or work and owned one of their own. 

Reply #5October 18, 2020, 09:21:00 am

srgtlord

• Veteran

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2020, 09:21:00 am »
When it comes to newer vehicles you have to wait and see which ones pass the 200k mark. There are some very reliable newer vehicles that require little to no maintenance while others seem to break weekly. I love my MK2 Golf but I find myself  driving my 2006 Hyundai more often. Why? After 34 years the Golf is starting to have some strange issues as it has outlived the 10 year design life of the vehicle. Does the Golf ride better than Hyundai? Yes. Can I easily find wear and tear replacement parts locally? No. Would i purchase a brand new MK2 in a heartbeat? Absolutely but good luck finding one in the US as the safety and emission standards have changed. However Once the Chinese MK2 Jetta passes the 25 year mark i might import one. They were produced until 2013

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volkswagen_Jetta_(China)

Reply #6October 18, 2020, 02:21:51 pm

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2020, 02:21:51 pm »
Not sure I would do this:

However, Once the Chinese MK2 Jetta passes the 25-year mark I might import one. They were produced until 2013

Only saying that because they have a long history of using less robust metal, production methods, quality control, and such.  Their copies are now our only option on most items and the history is that they are built for planned obsolescence.