Author Topic: Brake replacement parts, Good Sources?  (Read 2643 times)

October 12, 2020, 10:12:48 pm

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Restoring a Caddy as time and weather allows
Brake replacement parts, Good Sources?
« on: October 12, 2020, 10:12:48 pm »
I picked up on pair of calipers for my 1981 Pick em up truck. 

As I was cleaning and rebuilding them I found that the rubber bushings that hold those caliper pins, the ones they slide on, were something out of a roofing tar pail.  Very hard to get it all out until I broke out the Xylene.  Still, lots of that to dissolve the last of the gooey crap out of the holes.

SO NOW, where do I get those rubber bushings to be able to have a nice refurbished set sitting on the shelf ready to go next time mine start messing with me again? And reducing the heck out of the mileage.

I have lost my link to the 100 and 101 places to get parts and accessories.  I might be able to find it under Cabby in a search engine.  So any help from you folks as to where a guy can just buy the individual rubber parts would be just darling. 

Thanks in advance. 

Reply #1October 13, 2020, 01:17:57 am

fatmobile

• Veteran

• http://www.geocities.com/vwfatmobile/
Re: Brake replacement parts, Good Sources?
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2020, 01:17:57 am »
  I think I got a set from rock auto that I was real happy with.
I think they came with new teflons.
 It can be a pain to get the teflons put in and the brown rock auto ones went in well.
Tornado red, '91 Golf 4 door,
with a re-ringed, '84 quantum, turbo diesel, MD block

Reply #2October 14, 2020, 12:13:25 am

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2020, 12:13:25 am »
I thought I looked over the Rock Auto lines and didn't see anything there.  The Teflon tubes on the ones I bought were still nice and smooth.  The rubber parts dissolved into some sort of goo that was sticky and very black.  Could not clean it off with solvent and Fast Orange on my hands.  Had to wear it for a couple of days.

Reply #3October 15, 2020, 12:39:50 am

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2020, 12:39:50 am »
Parts Place had a kit for 25 bucks that had the seals, pins, and brake pad keepers.  Shipping a bit high but at least I can do the repair the way I wanted to do it. 

Update here;  One of the small rubber boots was missing from the kit so I wrote to them and they were good enough to priority mail me an entire second kit.  Very good service even if the shipping was 20 bucks.  I will keep the other parts on the shelf should I need them on another VW Rabbit I have. 
« Last Edit: November 06, 2020, 11:51:58 pm by ORCoaster »