Author Topic: 1981 Rabbit 1.6 Diesel Pickup Transmission  (Read 5088 times)

October 09, 2020, 04:55:46 am

Drevdub

1981 Rabbit 1.6 Diesel Pickup Transmission
« on: October 09, 2020, 04:55:46 am »
Wondering if anyone has swiped the transmission before, and if so had any tips? I have the manual, but would like some input and if I should replace it and first hand experience doing that. Already repair the engine, fuel pump and injectors. Thanks

Reply #1October 09, 2020, 11:44:25 pm

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Restoring a Caddy as time and weather allows
Re: 1981 Rabbit 1.6 Diesel Pickup Transmission
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2020, 11:44:25 pm »
Drevdub do you intend to change the trans from a manual to an automatic?  Can't determine that from your note.  Or are you looking to change it from a 4 to a 5 spd?

Need more information to be able to comment correctly. 

Have you ever dropped the transmission or removed the engine?  Those skills will go a long way towards swapping out the trans. 

Reply #2October 13, 2020, 11:16:46 pm

Drevdub

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2020, 11:16:46 pm »
I have removed engines before just not for this car. I intend to keep it a Manuel 5 speed transmission. I have not dropped a transmission before, but am willing to give it a try. Unless you think it best to not do that? Definitely open to suggestions. Thanks a lot. Let me know if you need any other information.

Reply #3October 13, 2020, 11:18:27 pm

Drevdub

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2020, 11:18:27 pm »
Drevdub do you intend to change the trans from a manual to an automatic?  Can't determine that from your note.  Or are you looking to change it from a 4 to a 5 spd?

Need more information to be able to comment correctly. 

Have you ever dropped the transmission or removed the engine?  Those skills will go a long way towards swapping out the trans.

Sorry do not know if I have to quote you or not so that you are notified.

I have removed engines before just not for this car. I intend to keep it a Manuel 5 speed transmission. I have not dropped a transmission before, but am willing to give it a try. Unless you think it best to not do that? Definitely open to suggestions. Thanks a lot. Let me know if you need any other information.

Reply #4October 13, 2020, 11:45:53 pm

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Restoring a Caddy as time and weather allows
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2020, 11:45:53 pm »
To remove the transmission I start with the car up high on jack stands. The idea there being that you lower the transmission to the ground and slide it out the front.  When putting it back I use a trans jack and use it to line up the input shaft and then slide it up to the pins that help line it up. 

I have used straps that rachet up as well but seemed to always run out of lift at a critical moment and had to reset the trans on blocks and then reposition the straps. 

What transmission do you currently have and what one are you going to?  Ratios of gears are nearly the same until the final fifth gear IF I remember correctly. 

Reply #5November 29, 2020, 11:57:10 pm

fatmobile

• Veteran

• http://www.geocities.com/vwfatmobile/
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2020, 11:57:10 pm »
 Support the engine from above
providing a way to lift and lower the engine a little.
Tornado red, '91 Golf 4 door,
with a re-ringed, '84 quantum, turbo diesel, MD block