Engine Specific Info and Questions > mTDI Mechanical TDI Conversions

1Z/AHU M-TDI build Toyota Pickup

(1/3) > >>

TukendorfTDI:
Hey folks!

New here, and relatively new to the TDI and swapping world (but not necessarily new mechanics or diesel engines)

I'm looking at building an M-TDI for a Toyota pickup swap, haven't found a truck yet but will ideally be pulling a 22re and mounting it to a stock w56 transmission and re-gearing the axles. I am definitely not looking to do anything too crazy with this build, just something more comparable or slightly better than the stock 22re at 115hp and 140ft/lbs.

I may have a line on a 1Z/AHU engine out of a 1997 VW, and am told will be sold with a mechanical pump... for a very reasonable price I might add!
I'm hoping to get anywhere north of stock 22re specs. My thoughts are to have the mechanical pump built for the application, maybe go with some larger nozzles, intercooler (any suggestions?), and the stock turbo (should be K03?), does this justify head studs?. I would like to get rid of the ECU, fully mechanical, and run the truck from the starter and fuel shut off solenoid. This being the reason I went with the 1Z/AHU rather than ALH. Now with the ECU deleted I should have no issues just getting rid of all sensors and just plugging the associated voids?

At this point I am hoping to get a good understanding of two things:

1. Whether my plans are achievable, and if you have any suggestions don't hesitate to throw them out
2. If there is anything I'm missing, is incorrect, or anything I overlooked, please let me know

Please know, my goals here are simply to break it down to the basics!

libbydiesel:
The ALH can be run with a mechanic pump in the same way that an AHU can.  I've run both.  ALH is a stronger block and a better design but the AHU would work well also. 

Your plans are easily achievable with the right pump.  I recently purchased a small lot of brand new Bosch pumps that are perfect for mTDI pumps.  PM for details if interested. 

TukendorfTDI:
Sounds great, thanks for the reply.

Would the turbo on the ALH be different than the AHU? From what I have read, the AHU has a wastegate actuator, and the ALH would be VNT. I am really impartial on the engine I swap, I had decided recently on the AHU due to the price of the engine and mechanical pump I have been offered. After further reading I decided with those factors, as well as the differences in turbos, that it may be easier and more cost effective to go with the AHU.

Aside from that, do you have any nozzle and/or intercooler suggestions?

libbydiesel:
As you say, the ALH turbo is VNT (and computer controlled) and the AHU/1Z turbo is wastegated.  However, the very small wastegated turbo that came fitted stock to the AHU/1Z engines is not well sized for tuning much above stock so the turbo might not be a good reason to go with one engine over the other.  Any of the 8V exhaust manifolds/turbos will fit either engine.  There are quite a few turbo choices that can be fitted using an adapter plate.  Some people (myself included) have created mechanical vane controls for the VNT turbos.  Others have gone with a standalone electronic control for the turbo vanes.     

Kerma TDI has good descriptions of various nozzles and the performance you can expect from them.

A water to air intercooler system that is well designed will outperform an air to air system with the cost of added complexity/components.  FrozenBoost has an array to choose from of either style.  Intercooler choice would depend heavily on where you would like to place it on the vehicle.  Minimizing the boosted volume is a good idea.  Maximizing the cooling effect is also a good idea.  Balancing the two depends on what you can fit and where on the vehicle.   

Chuck1978:

--- Quote from: libbydiesel on September 23, 2020, 11:23:20 pm ---  I recently purchased a small lot of brand new Bosch pumps that are perfect for mTDI pumps.  PM for details if interested.

--- End quote ---

Oh really?!?  I've got two mTDI pumps here from a Kia 2.9L TDI and a Land Rover, but this is great news and of interest to me.  11mm heads?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version