Author Topic: Timing problems after head rebuild.  (Read 1647 times)

June 24, 2020, 11:01:21 pm

Ranger TDI

Timing problems after head rebuild.
« on: June 24, 2020, 11:01:21 pm »
Hello everyone. I'm new here, but not to these old be diesels. I'm currently stumped at the moment, trying to get my 81 Rabbit to run property.

Here is some history on the car. The whole car was restored along with the engine and transmission about 10 years ago by myself. The engine was gone through with great care. The car has been a daily driver more or less since then, racking up over 100,000+ miles since then to this day. About 3 years ago, around 60-70,000 miles I lost the timing belt due to a failed intermediate shaft pulley. I had the head reworked with new valves ect. I encountered issues with combustion gases in the coolant, followed by oil getting in the coolant. He head was off multiple times going back to the machine shop to be checked. We were in the middle of a move to another state at this time, so I gave up and just drove the car.

Recently after dealing with chronic hose swelling and occasional failures. I decided to fix it. I pulled the head from a spare engine I have and had it reworked. I adjusted the valves myself rather than having the machine shop do it . I didn't want them grinding the end of the valve, since I have a collection of the proper shims. I used a set of ARP head studs this time. I put everything back together, timed the engine and now it is running like crap. It ran great before. I did make one mistake during the process. I did not put the engine in time when I took it apart. This has not ever been a problem in the past. I did run into one bit of confusion during the process. I was confused on the orientation of the pulley on the fuel pump. After referencing the Bentley, I found the timing mark on the pulley. After timing the engine properly, I checked the timing. I found for some reason it was too advanced. To the best of my memory I set it around 0.98mm.
I found it was set at 1.15mm. I adjusted it back to 0.98mm and started the engine. It ran very poorly. Heavy greyish smoke and the engine was missing, especially when it was run at more than an idle. I checked timing again and found it to be spot on. The only thing I was questioning was the orientation of the pulley on the fuel pump. Thinking I had the pump 180 degrees out of phase, I rotated the pulley 180 degrees and retimed the engine again. This time the engine still runs like crap, billows black smoke, has a heavy diesel knock and no power. I retarded the timing to 0.88mm with almost no effect. Any ideas? I'm about to just build another engine and forget this one.

Thanks

Reply #1June 25, 2020, 02:14:47 pm

libbydiesel

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

Re: Timing problems after head rebuild.
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2020, 02:14:47 pm »
Was the cold start lever pulled while adjusting the timing? 

Reply #2June 25, 2020, 07:17:16 pm

Ranger TDI

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2020, 07:17:16 pm »
You know, yes it was..... Wow I feel dumb now. I'll check it and report back. Right now it is set 180 degrees out of time from what is correct in the Bentley.

Thanks

Reply #3June 26, 2020, 01:00:23 am

libbydiesel

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2020, 01:00:23 am »
That'll do it.  :)

Reply #4June 28, 2020, 11:33:41 pm

Ranger TDI

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2020, 11:33:41 pm »
Ok, I timed the engine with the advance pulled out.

Out of habit I normally pull it out before shut down as it is harder to pull it out when the engine is not running. The car was parked a couple of months ago.

I have been burning the candle at both ends at work. Being tired and in a hurry, I guess I overlooked this minor detail...

Anyway, I retimed the engine correctly. It seems to run great now. I didn't realize these engines would run 180* out of time, poorly, but it runs.

Thanks for the help.
About to move on to the next project. I'm putting a Land Rover TDI in a Ford Ranger.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2020, 10:42:34 pm by ORCoaster »

Reply #5July 02, 2020, 06:27:24 am

smutts

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    ClackClackClackClackClack
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2020, 06:27:24 am »
I didn't realize these engines would run 180* out of time, poorly, but it runs.

Several mechanics I know have fallen foul of this too, well done for figuring it out in the end. ;D

Reply #6July 02, 2020, 08:07:57 pm

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Restoring a Caddy as time and weather allows
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2020, 08:07:57 pm »
A good way to keep from doing the 180 thing is to paint the hole that you line up with the bracket with the pin.  Just a line around the outside of white or red paint to show this is the one to use, Helps when one is struggling in the dark of night with a failing flashlight trying to get it back to running before the morning comes. 

How would I know that?  Surely we have ALL been there and done just that!

S-PAutomotive.com