Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: Seeking advice on engine upgrades  (Read 3172 times)

Reply #15August 04, 2020, 04:29:31 pm

libbydiesel

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

Re: Seeking advice on engine upgrades
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2020, 04:29:31 pm »
I can understand the appeal of the puzzle aspect.  I would enjoy doing an eTDI install on someone else's vehicle.  Thanks for the tag.  I just replied there.   

Reply #16August 26, 2020, 02:56:45 pm

dontdoemyourself

• Junior

• www.clearviewmt.com
Re: Seeking advice on engine upgrades
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2020, 02:56:45 pm »
Hey y'all, been following this thread as it is pretty applicable to the spot I'm currently in.. a new engine for my Vanagon that's been sitting for far too long. long story short it had an AAZ but it ran away and blew up years ago. Bought back my old 85 Jetta 1.6 TD with 235k on it, rebuilt once at ~180k? rebuilding because it overheated.. pulled head off and has some bad cracks between valves.. was going to do a refurbed head from partsplaceinc (experiences?) and stock size, new pistons.. as the originals are starting to show signs of pitting.. would end up being the same price as an mTDI pump after all said and done, and still an idi.. plan to run intercooler, external oil cooler, and I have an AAZ pump and injectors around (need lines though!!) that I could use add some more boost... but id need some sort of turbo with a waste gate setup like my T2 has.. the k24 doesn't clear the one engine bracket..

regretting my decision slightly as I feel an mTDI would be a much better engine.. and I have a solid AHU in my daily Jetta that I could canibilize and use.. and replace with one of my ALH's I know in the area..

anyone have any other ideas? thanks.

harpy- again sorry to hijack your thread, great read though!

Yes, I actually recently purchased a small lot of brand new Bosch pumps that are perfect for the VW TDI engines.  They are full aneroid pumps with the 20mm main shaft.  Long pump snout.  12mm plunger/head assembly.  Proper timing advance.  The governor allows revving over 4,000 rpms.  They are total bolt-on pumps for the ALH.  For installation on the AHU, the pump bracket would need to be machined to the larger ALH snout diameter.  Operationally they are most like the LT28 injection pumps but with the larger snout diameter of the ALH.  They have high fueling potential.  The price for one of them is $1200 shipped in the lower 48 states.  No cores required.

libbydiesel- I need one of those pumps for the future !!
1982 Vanagon diesel mTDi
1982 Jetta coupe - AHU/O2A project
1977 Scirocco Champagne 1.8 RV / Digi2
1963 Microbus Panel camper
05 Audi Allroad 6spd
01 Toyota Tundra V6 5VZFE/ 5 speed