Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: Is the VW Diesel community still alive?  (Read 4443 times)

May 13, 2020, 07:52:11 pm

harpy

Is the VW Diesel community still alive?
« on: May 13, 2020, 07:52:11 pm »
New member here! I've been jumping back into VW diesel projects again and I was hoping that this site could fill the void left after the VwDieselParts forum went down (I was 'the vegenator' on that site). There was such a treasure trove of info there, which was instrumental in guiding me through an engine rebuild; all content lost to the abyss. But I'm happy to see this site filled to the brim with valuable technical posts and guidance, and it's great to see some familiar faces. I'm hoping to refresh my memory on a lot of the tips and technical knowledge needed as I dive back into my 1.6.

Anyway, I'm joining this forum now specifically because I'm turning my 85 Jetta into a wagon, and doing a turbo engine build that I've never succeeded at executing before. I've posted about my project on the facebook group and started an instagram dedicated to it as well. I'm hoping to gain more technical guidance on the engine build here though, since it's been a minute since I've dug into a 1.6. I hope I'm not shouting into the void here if I post pics, info on my build, or seek advice -- I've found VW diesel folks to be a good crowd and I'd love to keep this community alive! If nothing else, enjoy watching me fumble through body work and mismatched engine components  ;D

I've been posting about my project as @mk2variantproject on Instagram. But I'll likely do the same here.

Reply #1May 14, 2020, 01:42:00 am

libbydiesel

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

Re: Is the VW Diesel community still alive?
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2020, 01:42:00 am »
Nice!  Welcome!

Reply #2May 14, 2020, 11:23:58 am

Dennis Froelich

• Global Moderator
  • Junior

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2020, 11:23:58 am »
Yes!! Welcome sir!! Please keep us updated.
79 Golf GTD
96 Golf GTD(TDI)

Reply #3May 14, 2020, 11:21:32 pm

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Restoring a Caddy as time and weather allows
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2020, 11:21:32 pm »
Nice to see a new member with a project in motion.  Welcome

Reply #4May 17, 2020, 10:22:00 am

srgtlord

• Veteran

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2020, 10:22:00 am »
I like the idea of more cargo space. Definitely get a replacement set of springs/shocks in the rear to help with the extra we

Reply #5May 22, 2020, 12:52:44 am

fatmobile

• Veteran

• http://www.geocities.com/vwfatmobile/
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2020, 12:52:44 am »
 Looks like something has been done to keep the rear from sagging due to weight.
Tornado red, '91 Golf 4 door,
with a re-ringed, '84 quantum, turbo diesel, MD block

Reply #6May 29, 2020, 11:29:00 am

harpy

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2020, 11:29:00 am »
I added second spring spacers in the back to give it a little more lift. I used this Jetta as a work vehicle for years and I didn't like the saggy look!

I'm thinking of upgrading suspension components at some point. I don't care for a lowered look but I'm interested in some sort of stiffer upgrades to what's in there.

Looks like something has been done to keep the rear from sagging due to weight.

Reply #7August 01, 2020, 09:45:12 am

srgtlord

• Veteran

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2020, 09:45:12 am »
Bilstein makes some great struts which are significantly stiffer than stock but the rear shocks have the wrong size lower spring perch diameter for the Mk2 which makes the rear springs sit ever so slanted. On my 85 golf I noticed the springs were rubbing on the body after 6 years  :o

Reply #8August 01, 2020, 10:48:46 pm

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Restoring a Caddy as time and weather allows
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2020, 10:48:46 pm »
I being taller than normal like a vehicle that is not low to the ground.  It is better for me to swing my legs out and drop them down to the ground then to try and go up from a half crouched position.  I don't know how I ever managed to get in and out of the 69 Trimuph GT6 + I owned as a youngster.  Maybe that word explains it all.

I recently found a nice set of heavy duty springs for the front end of my 81 Caddy.  Lifted it up a couple of inches so now it rides a bit more level to the 3 inch blocks I inserted between the rear axle and the leaf springs.  Handles more like a truck than like my Rabbit.  Now I have this pair of  MK1 springs to add to the collection of spare parts.  Might be a  good time to sort and sell.

S-PAutomotive.com