Author Topic: Early Westy Info  (Read 5085 times)

April 25, 2020, 10:14:44 am

VWrabbit317

• User+

Early Westy Info
« on: April 25, 2020, 10:14:44 am »
Hello! I'm on the hunt for an early westy pickup and had a few questions. I've read from other members on various other forums that the overall build quality of the 80's pickups weren't as a good as the later models.. can anyone elaborate on that? We're they just more prone to rust issues or was there other major problems to look out for? I've also read that the wiring and ceramic style fuse box they used could be more of a headache. Can that be swapped out with the later style fuse box? I've had a late westy pickup for about 6-7 years now but its badly rotted.. beyond safely repairing IMO and I've just always really liked the look of the early westy front ends. Any input/opinions is appreciated!

Reply #1April 25, 2020, 11:45:44 am

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Restoring a Caddy as time and weather allows
Re: Early Westy Info
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2020, 11:45:44 am »
VWrabbit317, By early 80's pickups I am going to assume you are talking about the 80-81 models.  The 1980 version had the smaller 1.5 l engine in it and somewhere during the middle model year they started switching to the 1.6 l that went on forever.  But you can insert all kinds of the engines in them clear to the 1.9 l if you want. 

I think the rust issues hit all model years.  The way they were built just has water pooling near the A pillar supports so you see that spot just below the windshield develop.  The strut towers as just a very wet environment and the pinched metal and struts just keep it there unless you live in AZ or NM. 

The ceramic fuse box was in the very early Pickups but anything past the mid 1981's is plastic.  You can swap them but that is a major headache laying down all day long to do it.  But if you are good with wire and such it shouldn't bother you to do that. 

I think that late Westy front end goes on most all of the trucks with square headlights.  Is that the one you are talking about?  Putting round lights in place of them can also be done but you might have trouble finding them.

Build quality was good for most all of the VW's but the ownership and maintenance is what is going to give you a decent PU.  Think what nearly 40 years does to anything that is left out in the weather and abused.  Or worse, left in a field, on flat tires, open to mice, and the rain.  Just don't fair well in those conditions.  Yet, those are the ones you may have to choose from for a restore.  If that is the case, maybe working yours back to like new might be an option. 

Reply #2April 25, 2020, 12:11:19 pm

VWrabbit317

• User+

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2020, 12:11:19 pm »
Thanks for that info! I guess another option would be if I found a clean late westy and I wanted the look of the early westy it would just be a matter of sourcing fenders, a core support(?), headlights, and a grille, correct?

Also, what's wrong with the ceramic fuse box? I get that its old style technology but was there a major issue with them?
« Last Edit: April 25, 2020, 12:38:10 pm by VWrabbit317 »

Reply #3April 25, 2020, 11:35:23 pm

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Restoring a Caddy as time and weather allows
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2020, 11:35:23 pm »
I think the actual fuse was the problem.  Not so great of a design and cheaper and better came along.  So VW went that way along with the rest of the automotive industry.  Perhaps that was a planned event.  Source a universal fuse that was cheap to make and easy to install. 

Those Ceramic ones always reminded me of 1950's vacuum tube radios and electronics.  Crude but effective.  War effort stuff but built to last in a tank. 

Reply #4April 26, 2020, 12:39:05 pm

RustyCaddy

• Veteran

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2020, 12:39:05 pm »
It is really important that the early fuse boxes stay dry.  The later mounts were moved ever so slightly taking the newer style fusebox out of the dripline where windshield seals sometimes leak.  Swapping in a later style Cabby fusebox is another option that has bee recommended on the VWCaddy site.  The German body style Westys can also have core support rust issues; not fatal but a problem sometimes.