S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: Thoughts? K14 OR t3?  (Read 2668 times)

March 31, 2020, 01:30:38 pm

Patrick

• Veteran

Thoughts? K14 OR t3?
« on: March 31, 2020, 01:30:38 pm »
Took an AAZ out of my mk2 a couple summers ago and installed it in my 914.... went with a T3 while I was at it. Pulling the engine out to change the timing belt and tidy up a few leaks.... not overly thrilled with the T3 but maybe it's my imagination. more lag than I'd like, we autocross the car. Seriously considering putting the K14 back on while it's out. Biggest holdup is an air intake... currently just cut the elbow off the end of a stock mk2 intake and stuck a piece of stainless pipe on instead. Plumbed crankcasevent to a catch can.
I'd like to fine a cold air intake that has a 90 degree rubber elbow that will fit the K14. Pipe currently runs straight down off turbo with the T3. Would REALLY like one that will let me plumb the crankcase vent back in. Cheap stuff I find when I do a search online looks just about right but it's all too big. Suggestions?

Pics at the end of this build thread on another site.

Reply #1April 06, 2020, 06:51:21 pm

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Holmes County Ohio - North Central Ohio
Re: Thoughts? K14 OR t3?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2020, 06:51:21 pm »
K14 would be better than the T3 for autocross.

Look for couplers on silicone intakes or similar. Some places will make you one. I thought GeeBee made this exact piece for the K14 guys years ago. You could email him [email protected]

Reply #2June 21, 2020, 11:04:05 am

Patrick

• Veteran

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2020, 11:04:05 am »
Lots of issues... pulled the engine to change some seals, timing belt. Had the turbo gone through and wound up with a bigger compressor wheel on the T3.  Started the engine, ran rough but settled out. Went autocrossing the next day. After 3 runs major blowby issue. (I knew the engine was tired but didn't think it was THAT bad!)
 Pulled engine, compression test shows 3 holes 410 - 420 lbs, one at 390. Broken ring maybe?

Pulled anoterh engine that had the timing jump (bent valves). Engine was put together with rings, bearings, head studs etc.
SO....
time to pull 2 apart and make one.
Just found out engine # 2's issue was the crank pulley. D shaped crank but bolt came loose. Looks like it machined the end of the crank in the process.... job just got a lot bigger. DAMN!
Anyone got a mechanical ALH for sale ?  or a running AAZ  I can pick up today?

Reply #3June 21, 2020, 04:55:52 pm

Patrick

• Veteran

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2020, 04:55:52 pm »
two bad heads. Major cracks on the cylinder that was down on compression, the other one has 8 bent valves. Sending a head out tomorrow!

S-PAutomotive.com