Author Topic: Stuck in Victorville - any help would be appreciated  (Read 4496 times)

Reply #30February 23, 2020, 11:41:16 pm

libbydiesel

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

Re: Stuck in Victorville - any help would be appreciated
« Reply #30 on: February 23, 2020, 11:41:16 pm »
BTW, I'm ?Waldo? on the Samba.  I posted a couple replies to your thread there.

Reply #31February 23, 2020, 11:54:47 pm

festethejeste

• User+

« Reply #31 on: February 23, 2020, 11:54:47 pm »
Cool thanks Waldo!

Reply #32February 24, 2020, 03:13:53 pm

festethejeste

• User+

« Reply #32 on: February 24, 2020, 03:13:53 pm »
In an effort to make sure I have the right tools for next time.

Would this dial indicator work for my Bosch pump. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00O1QTSF2/ref=sspa_mw_detail_0?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Reply #33February 24, 2020, 09:55:59 pm

libbydiesel

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

« Reply #33 on: February 24, 2020, 09:55:59 pm »
Yes, that will work.

Reply #34February 25, 2020, 05:18:10 pm

festethejeste

• User+

« Reply #34 on: February 25, 2020, 05:18:10 pm »
Thanks Libby

Reply #35March 01, 2020, 08:19:02 pm

festethejeste

• User+

« Reply #35 on: March 01, 2020, 08:19:02 pm »
So just confirmed cylinder 2 does have zero PSI cylinders 1 2 and 3 are very good. 

I have some questions though for anybody who would like to help. 

See video https://youtu.be/9c9GWej2_as

Reply #36March 01, 2020, 10:46:49 pm

festethejeste

• User+

« Reply #36 on: March 01, 2020, 10:46:49 pm »
And the diagnosis.  F$@$#

https://youtu.be/wa-qt34itUU

What could cause those chips in 2 and 4?

I'm particularly interested in #4 and why the edge of the piston is start to pit and crack.

Reply #37March 01, 2020, 11:41:07 pm

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Restoring a Caddy as time and weather allows
« Reply #37 on: March 01, 2020, 11:41:07 pm »
Could there have been a ring of carbon buildup at the top of the pistons that broke away and put the small holes in the number 4 and 3 pistons?

As for the damage to #2, I think the statement you made about there being a part of the valve stem falling into it after it jumped time is most likely.  When you pull those valves out you may find they smashed themselves back together for the most part.  As for being in time now how about a jump forward with the first bump start and a second with the push from behind? 

Compensating tooth jumping but with damage internally in between? 

Or just weak parts that didn't like the bump.

Very odd indeed my friend.  Sorry it has become a black hole for money.  Feeling more like a Ford van as your next vacation mobile? 

I didn't think so. 

Reply #38March 02, 2020, 04:19:03 pm

festethejeste

• User+

« Reply #38 on: March 02, 2020, 04:19:03 pm »
Thanks for the info!

Updated info. 

All glow plugs are fine.  They didn't chip off.

Turbo is fine no particulars or missing parts. I did find reminents of aluminum in the exhaust side.  Most def parts of either the head or the pistons. 

Interesting thing is that the valves are imprinted with whatever was in there but they're intact.  Ie they didn't break off. 

The intake filter was always on and intercooler was intact no parts or pieces of metal. 

So the only thing that's left to me is piston rings.  I did find a very small piece of steal at the bottom of cylinder 2.  Picked up by my magnetic.  There's also pieces of steel melted or impacted into the top of the head.  I hover my magnetic over it and she sticks.

I did read somewhere that it is possible the a piston ring can break off and rattle around in the engine.  It looks like it's happening in cylinder # 4.

So we measured the bores 79.55.  Should I bore these out to the next size?  If so what's the next size?  Or is this in spec.  I assume it needs to be bored or honed regardless due to the streaks in #2.  Is a standard head gasket going to work still with the diameter increased?

Sorry for all the questions I'm in no man's land

Reply #39March 02, 2020, 11:30:03 pm

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Restoring a Caddy as time and weather allows
« Reply #39 on: March 02, 2020, 11:30:03 pm »
I don't have specs for that Engine so I can't say if you need to bore is larger or not.  Maybe a hone is all you need on #2 cylinder.

I have to scratch my bald head on this one.  Clearly something got in that cylinder and got beat about and damaged the engine.  But what? How? 

Had to come in the intake so do you have a broken heat shield?  There are known cases where they get cracks in them and maybe a cracked one was installed and a piece of it went down to the depths of #2 cylinder? 

It had to be small enough to clear the opening of the pre chamber right?  Otherwise it would have just caused the engine to get a poor injection of fuel.  A small washer?  Something left in the intake manifold during the rebuild that wasn't noticed?

All very odd if the timing was still on mark.  Really a pisser to have spent so much and gotten so little back on a rebuild. 

I have not heard of rings coming out of the piston and getting above it but we are talking better than average compression and breaking in a new set of rings may have done as you say.  I just never heard of it and can't see it happening.  But then, new species of animals are discovered all the time and amaze us that they have stayed hidden so well, so long.

Good luck with this monster.  I think it needs a sticker on the back fender that says Black Hole.

Reply #40March 04, 2020, 12:23:32 am

festethejeste

• User+

« Reply #40 on: March 04, 2020, 12:23:32 am »
I wonder if there was enough fuel to wash out a cylinder? 

We did find evidence of a lip on the cylinder wall on #2. Probably wasn't bored out properly in the original build?

S-PAutomotive.com