S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: Stuck in Victorville - any help would be appreciated  (Read 4500 times)

February 20, 2020, 12:15:59 am

festethejeste

• User+

Stuck in Victorville - any help would be appreciated
« on: February 20, 2020, 12:15:59 am »
Hey guys,

2 Canadians stuck on our engagement trip with an 82 westy here.  We have an original diesel with a swapped  a 1.9 TD (Aaz).  We mistakenly ran out of fuel and sucked up some dirt we think.  Filled up with about 10 bucks of diesel and bled the lines and after much effort it started and ran fine.  I had to turn the van off to install a serp belt back on but didn't have enough battery to get it going again and had to call a tow truck.

Let it sit over night after we got towed and got it started but it's really running like hell.  Seems to be over fueling. Judging by the unburnt smoke.  But also sounds super clacky ( hopefully the motor isn't gone ,:(

Giles pump is practically new (1000 miles)and seems to be working properly
Engine was rebuilt 10000 miles ago. 

Re- bled all the lines and let it run for atleast 20 mins but nothing changed

The only thing we did in-between when it started after running out of fuel and when we tried the next day was try to bump start it a couple of times...a bump start couldn't the motor could it?

Just wondering if they're any local gurus that could help in the area or online?  We are currently stuck in Victorville California. 

Thanks in advance
« Last Edit: February 20, 2020, 12:25:22 am by festethejeste »

Reply #1February 20, 2020, 12:20:05 am

fatmobile

• Veteran

• http://www.geocities.com/vwfatmobile/
Re: Stuck in Victorville - any help would be recommended :)
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2020, 12:20:05 am »
 I suppose it could have jumped timing on the injection pump.
 Might be 1 tooth off.
Tornado red, '91 Golf 4 door,
with a re-ringed, '84 quantum, turbo diesel, MD block

Reply #2February 20, 2020, 10:42:06 am

libbydiesel

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

Re: Stuck in Victorville - any help would be appreciated
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2020, 10:42:06 am »
I agree with Fatmobile.  Sounds like bump starting it caused it to jump time on the injection pump.  Double check the timing for all three sprockets. 

Reply #3February 20, 2020, 11:22:58 am

festethejeste

• User+

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2020, 11:22:58 am »
Thanks guys. 

That actually sounds like it could be it.  Makes sense

Is there a link or instructions on how to do this?

Cheers

Reply #4February 20, 2020, 12:49:26 pm

libbydiesel

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2020, 12:49:26 pm »
Do you have an A3 Bentley? That would cover your engine.  How familiar are you with the engine?  Do you have tools?   

The method used for checking the injection pump timing depends on the year of the AAZ engine that was installed.  The later AAZ engines came with a two-part injection pump sprocket that had a central hub that bolted to the injection pump shaft and an outer sprocket part that bolted to the hub.  The earlier pumps had a single piece sprocket.  The method for checking or adjusting the timing is different for each of those.

For either version, the basics of it are to rotate the engine to TDC for the #1 cylinder and then see if the injection pump sprocket is relatively in alignment with the pump pin hole.

Reply #5February 20, 2020, 01:34:27 pm

festethejeste

• User+

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2020, 01:34:27 pm »
Thanks.  Not sure what engine version or pump here's a pic if that helps.

https://m.imgur.com/a/2yXBUUE

Reply #6February 20, 2020, 01:44:31 pm

libbydiesel

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2020, 01:44:31 pm »
I can't actually tell from either of those pictures.  You would need to remove the upper plastic timing belt cover and take a picture of the sprocket. 

Please answer the questions I asked in my last post.  Answers to those questions (or others that I might ask) will help me to help you. 

Reply #7February 20, 2020, 01:53:33 pm

festethejeste

• User+

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2020, 01:53:33 pm »
Hi Libby,

Thanks for your response. 

I do have tools but no a3 Bentley. 

Reluctantly brought the van into dreamcar European auto repair in Victorville.  450$ in and they still haven't found out what it is. 

Said the compression was good, timing was good but need more time.  They said it might be electrical... I laughed.  This is what I was dreading.

I don't have any more pictures to verify what engine I have

Reply #8February 20, 2020, 04:11:52 pm

libbydiesel

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2020, 04:11:52 pm »
From your description of it running, but running rough and being overly clacky, I do not see how the issue could possibly be anything electrical.  The AAZ is really a single wire engine, meaning that all that is needed for it to run fine is power to the stop solenoid.  Lacking power to the stop solenoid will cause it not to run, it will not make it run poorly or cause it to be clacky.  That makes me actually doubt that the shop has dealt with one of the pre-TDI engines and makes me doubt that they know what they are doing. 

Reply #9February 20, 2020, 08:39:16 pm

fatmobile

• Veteran

• http://www.geocities.com/vwfatmobile/
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2020, 08:39:16 pm »
 Yep, like libby said.
 For timing; Set the crank to TDC and see if the injection pump is in the right spot.
 Compression test can be done with a socket turning the crank and feeling for resistance. 15 minutes.
 $450 for nothing sounds like you got burned.
 Checking electrical would require a voltmeter on the one wire, while cranking and after. 15 minutes tops.
If it doesn't have voltage; run a wire to the battery, start up and go.
Tornado red, '91 Golf 4 door,
with a re-ringed, '84 quantum, turbo diesel, MD block

Reply #10February 20, 2020, 10:23:56 pm

rabbid79

• Veteran

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2020, 10:23:56 pm »
Ditto on everything just said.  Anybody who looks at one of these engines and says the problem "might be electrical" also can't be relied upon to check the timing properly.
'15 WRX
Parts for 2.0 TD build - Now looking for suitable car to put it in.

Reply #11February 21, 2020, 11:12:02 am

festethejeste

• User+

« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2020, 11:12:02 am »
They've said the timing is fine.  But one injector is apparently stuck open.  I have my doubts but I have 4 new injectors ( 3 extra just in case ) coming from Giles. 

I really have my doubts about this injector though considering the van fired right up and ran properly before I shut it off on the side of the road. 

There is only one fuel filter btw. 

Reply #12February 21, 2020, 11:23:36 am

libbydiesel

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2020, 11:23:36 am »
As far as what you are saying and what the shop is saying, things don't seem to add up.  I wish you the best in this and after getting out of this situation, I would encourage you to learn more about the function of your engine so that you can avoid this type of situation in the future.  There are not very many shops that understand these older IDI engines.

Reply #13February 21, 2020, 11:35:41 am

festethejeste

• User+

« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2020, 11:35:41 am »

So just to clarify. Timing is checked via the notch cut out on the cam, the fly wheel TDC mark and timing plug taken out of the back of the pump.

Is there a quick way to check the pump timing without the dial

Reply #14February 21, 2020, 11:57:14 am

libbydiesel

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2020, 11:57:14 am »
It is *not* possible to confirm that the injection pump timing is correct without either using some sort of measuring device like a dial indicator or a significantly more expensive and more rare tool like a diesel pulse adapter and strobe timing light.  You could potentially confirm that the pump is on the correct tooth using the depth end of some digital calipers but they are not accurate enough to set the timing, IMO. 

Because there is almost two teeth's worth of adjustment in the slots of the injection pump mounting holes, it is possible to have the timing set correctly on more than one specific tooth of the belt and without one of the aforementioned methods of checking, you cannot tell that it is correct.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2020, 01:51:48 pm by libbydiesel »

Fixmyvw.com