Author Topic: AAZ for swap in 89 jeep comanche?!?  (Read 1793 times)

November 30, 2020, 10:52:46 pm

eggyd

AAZ for swap in 89 jeep comanche?!?
« on: November 30, 2020, 10:52:46 pm »
Ok so new to the forum and the vw diesel game. Not new to fabrication or mechanical work. I am looking to do a vw diesel swap into my 89 jeep comanche (4link triangulated rear, fourlink front, 35" tires (for now), 4.11 gears, bobbed box, custom fuel tank etc etc). I am looking to make roughly the same or a little more power than the stock 4.0l (190 hp-220ft/lb) while losing the almost 250lb of fat off the front end and gaining as much fuel efficiency as I can. now the dilemma. I ended up with an aaz for free. Not what I was looking for (i was looking for an alh or ahu) for some weird reason shortly afterwards I ended up with a running jetta with another aaz in it and a parts aaz that had been removed from said running car. Total of 3!! And it seems as though I am probably going to end up with access to another aaz. Making that a grand total of 4!

Now the question is:
can I make the power I am looking for out of the aaz (I seem to be reading a lot of the 120hp mark and not sure of the torque # which is odd seeing as this is a diesel site and we should all know torque is the # people drive diesels for)? Is it reasonable to do that or am I truly better off keeping one of the four as a spare for the running car and wheeling myself an ahu or alh or even a brm or bhw?!? anyways I thank you in advance for the input and have enjoyed reading through the fairly straight forward power enhancements that can be done to make that free car i got a little more fun as a daily driver!!

thanks
denny

Reply #1December 01, 2020, 11:09:25 am

RabbitJockey

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    America, DUCK YEAH!!!
Re: AAZ for swap in 89 jeep comanche?!?
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2020, 11:09:25 am »
tdi is always a better option but i think you could be satisfied with what an aaz could deliver. if i were building an aaz i would do all arp hardware in the bottom end, some of the aaz's had much short main bolts, and there have been more than a few aazs that grenade the block, so that is cheap insurance. the other thing is these idi engines are totally doomed by heat so make sure you keep that in mind, keep them cool, keep the egts low, dont try and run 30psi through a turbo thats too small, and make sure you have a good intercooler. i think an aaz can easily make those numbers(at the crank). just keep it cool, and use arp hardware.
01 Jetta TDI 100% stock daily
81 Rabbit:TDI-M ported head, Frank06 cam, PD intake, hybrid T3 turbo, Renault intercooler, Syl20 11mm pump, light weight fw, and yellow California Clutch clutch kit

Reply #2December 01, 2020, 01:24:41 pm

libbydiesel

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2020, 01:24:41 pm »
ALH engines are cheap and readily available.  I would go with an mTDI ALH before an AAZ even if I had 4 AAZ engines and no ALH engines.  :) 

Reply #3December 04, 2020, 09:32:04 am

RabbitJockey

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    America, DUCK YEAH!!!
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2020, 09:32:04 am »
ALH engines are cheap and readily available.  I would go with an mTDI ALH before an AAZ even if I had 4 AAZ engines and no ALH engines.  :) 
yep, stronger engine, parts availability is much better, better aftermarket, and same amount of work to swap it in with a much better outcome.
01 Jetta TDI 100% stock daily
81 Rabbit:TDI-M ported head, Frank06 cam, PD intake, hybrid T3 turbo, Renault intercooler, Syl20 11mm pump, light weight fw, and yellow California Clutch clutch kit

Reply #4December 05, 2020, 02:22:14 pm

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Holmes County Ohio - North Central Ohio
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2020, 02:22:14 pm »
swap it all over, don't use the expensive stuff...when you go through all 4 aaz's, then you might aquire an ALH for free.

Reply #5December 06, 2020, 12:21:00 am

fatmobile

• Veteran

• http://www.geocities.com/vwfatmobile/
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2020, 12:21:00 am »
 The mounts and almost everything for the AAZ are the same as the ALH right?
 SO if he gets an AZZ to fit
 he can ugrade to an ALH later with less effort,...
 right?
Tornado red, '91 Golf 4 door,
with a re-ringed, '84 quantum, turbo diesel, MD block

Reply #6December 06, 2020, 11:10:33 am

libbydiesel

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2020, 11:10:33 am »
Some of the mounting holes on the back of the block are the same.  Engine to trans mounting points are the same.  The timing belt side and front of the block are completely different.  It would probably be a lot more work to install an AAZ and then install an ALH afterward as opposed to installing an ALH initially. 

Reply #7December 07, 2020, 12:20:51 am

fatmobile

• Veteran

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2020, 12:20:51 am »
 I beg to differ,..
 please, please, PLEASE let me differ, ha.

On a Jeep, I would think he would use the side/rear motor mount like I did on my ALH.
 Instead of the timing belt mount like a normal ALH.
  I think the AAZ uses that mount stock.
 And it's in the same place as the 1.6 and ALH from my experience.

Not sure what holes he would use for the other side
 since there isn't usually a mount over there on either engine
 without going all the way back to the trany to mount it.

Electrical would be a bit different because of the sensors.

Sure putting one engine in and taking it back out to put another one in is more work.
  But an AAZ would still make a good running mockup
 that would have most of the fabrication work done
when he's ready to upgrade to an ALH.

Reply #8December 07, 2020, 11:38:15 am

libbydiesel

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2020, 11:38:15 am »
You can certainly offer a differing opinion but that differing opinion doesn't have me convinced. :) 

It would be challenging to build an AAZ to push 200hp and if accomplished, would likely not be reliable.  The ALH is a markedly more robust engine and would be quite a bit more likely to hold together for 200hp.  I can't see any advantage to using the AAZ engine to 'mock up' the install unless it was going to be used as the final engine for the complete project.  Doing so would only result in wasted time/effort, some of which would be fairly significant.  If installing an AAZ first, there would be at least one custom engine mount bracket that would need to be remade a second time for the eventual ALH install.  The position of the various accessories would be different.  The coolant hose routing is different.  Wiring could probably cross over fine.  Any fueling mods done to an AAZ to approach that performance goal would not cross over.  ARP head studs would cross over.  Performance rods would probably cross over.  ARP main studs wouldn't.  Block girdle would probably be needed on the AAZ for 200hp and would not cross over.  If you did just the minimum to install the AAZ to the point that it was running (but not tuned for the 200hp goal) you'd probably have an extra 30+ hours into the project that would just be wasted if an ALH was swapped in.  If you actually tried to get the AAZ to push 200hp, then you'd have a whole lot more time and $ wasted when the main bearing saddle broke or the pre-chamber insert self-destructed and took out the engine.  :)

The buy-in for the ALH is really low right now.  Almost every day someone on the Facebook group TDI Trader is trying to sell an ALH for less than $500.  The AAZ engines could probably be sold for as much or more.

Reply #9December 07, 2020, 08:29:22 pm

fatmobile

• Veteran

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2020, 08:29:22 pm »
  I hadn't thought about the cooling system.
"If installing an AAZ first, there would be at least one custom engine mount bracket that would need to be remade a second time for the eventual ALH install."
 Which bracket would that be because the timing belt mount probably wouldn't be used?
 Because jeep engine goes in the other way and the radiator would be at that end of the engine.
 The bracket I made for the M-TDI will work for the AAZ, ALH or the 1.6.
 I suppose the motor mount on the other side might not have matching holes,..
 again not real familiar with the AAZ.

And don't forget about the weak timing sprocket keyway on the AAZ.
Even if upgraded to The D sprocket,..
 I don't think that sprocket fits the ALH.

Reply #10December 07, 2020, 08:43:42 pm

fatmobile

• Veteran

« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2020, 08:43:42 pm »
  I hadn't thought about the cooling system.
"If installing an AAZ first, there would be at least one custom engine mount bracket that would need to be remade a second time for the eventual ALH install."
 Which bracket would that be because the timing belt mount probably wouldn't be used?
 Because jeep engine goes in the other way and the radiator would be at that end of the engine.
 The bracket I made for the M-TDI will work for the AAZ, ALH or the 1.6.
 I suppose the motor mount on the other side might not have matching holes,..
 again not real familiar with the AAZ.

And don't forget about the weak timing sprocket keyway on the AAZ.
Even if upgraded to The D sprocket,..
 I don't think that sprocket fits the ALH.

I got my ALH for $400 and have seen them for $300.
  I think this discussion really helps get all the information out.

I remember when you had this discussion on vwdieselparts a long time ago.
 The guy had much invested in his AAZ and didn't take well to being told an M-ALH was better. :'( ;)
  Being the moderator, I let the discussion go because of all the great info on both sides.
  I probably should have ended it earlier because he got kind of rude.
  That won't happen here.
  You know I have great respect for you and your opinion and enjoy these discussions.
 I'll even admit that I think you are "coughrightcough" on this one.

Reply #11December 07, 2020, 11:15:02 pm

libbydiesel

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2020, 11:15:02 pm »
AFAIK, the holes for the timing belt side of the engine and the holes on the side of the engine with the oil filter are all different between the AAZ and the ALH.  I think you'd have to get really fancy/complicated to mount the engine in place without using either of those two sides of the block.  The side where the turbo resides and the side bolted to the trans have matching holes between AAZ and ALH. 

The ALH sprocket and the earlier D-sprocket used on the AHU/1Z are not the same.  The ALH sprocket is improved.  It has a larger D diameter and better contact surface area on the face of the crankshaft. 

I actually try harder not to offend now than I used to.  :)   

Reply #12December 08, 2020, 09:39:45 am

Dennis Froelich

• Global Moderator
  • Junior

« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2020, 09:39:45 am »

;)
79 Golf GTD
96 Golf GTD(TDI)

Reply #13December 08, 2020, 10:47:36 pm

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Restoring a Caddy as time and weather allows
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2020, 10:47:36 pm »
I have read where this is a COVID related side effect:

Not a bad thing actually.

Reply #14December 08, 2020, 10:54:06 pm

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Holmes County Ohio - North Central Ohio
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2020, 10:54:06 pm »
Yes obviously the aaz and the alh are different in front and side, but the adapter and most of the hard part of the swap would be done. A coolant hose and engine mount, but if you have 4 free engines I don't think you can be worried about reliability too much especially if your idea is to go to the alh later. Do what you want its your vehicle, but I wouldn't be scared getting it going with the aaz and maybe only using 1 of them up and switching to the alh.

S-PAutomotive.com