Author Topic: 1.6 TD Injection problems?  (Read 1601 times)

December 21, 2019, 01:31:50 am

Crash203

1.6 TD Injection problems?
« on: December 21, 2019, 01:31:50 am »
Hello everyone!
I am a total noob out here. I got myself a beautiful 85 Jetta with a 1.6 IDI turbo diesel this summer with the intention to learn the basics of diesel engines on this platform. Long story short... After a few months of daily driving, I went to drive it to work and about a block down the road it began to sputter and almost stall. I kept it alive and got it home. I was told by the previous owner after showing him video of what was happening, that the injectors weren't sealing properly and this would cause it to misfire (definitely felt like it was down 1 or 2 cylinders).

From what I can understand this means I'd have to take the injectors off and make sure they seal up right when I put it back together with new washers and seals. I know this is a delicate process involving a fuel line fitting removal/install pattern that I have not been able to find. I am not trying to go into this blind out of fear that I would open up a bigger can of worms, so the car has been sitting for a month or so. I finally have the time and a little money to put into this car to get it back on the road I just don't know where to start.

If anyone out here can offer up some advise or point me to another thread that I should see, I would greatly appreciate it!

Reply #1December 21, 2019, 03:50:10 am

fatmobile

• Veteran

• http://www.geocities.com/vwfatmobile/
Re: 1.6 TD Injection problems?
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2019, 03:50:10 am »
 First thing I'd do is get clear fuel lines to and from the pump.
 1/4" vinyl will do from the filter to the pump the output of the pump is 3/16" on the Mk2s
 so you can adapt it up to 1/4" and use the same line.

Is there alot of leaking around the injectors?
I've still never had the injectors leak so bad it ran funny.
 Well if the line nuts were loose I'd tighten them.
 But I haven't seen any other leaks make it undriveable.
Tornado red, '91 Golf 4 door,
with a re-ringed, '84 quantum, turbo diesel, MD block

Reply #2December 25, 2019, 11:56:05 am

hamman

« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2019, 11:56:05 am »
Sounds to me like your experiencing fuel starvation.  I agree with fatmobile - also change the fuel filter, blow the line to the tank.  Was it sitting for a while
before you got it?  I am wondering if your getting crap clogging the fuel supply from a dirty tank and stuff got loosened up by driving it for a while.    Just my $.02. 
'84 Rabbit 1.6, KB turbo pistons, VNT15 (GFB controlled), TT downpipe, TT exhaust, Giles pump, Turbo head, gasket matched, FMIC, Mishimoto thermo - Mocal oil cooler.

Reply #3December 26, 2019, 05:38:25 pm

Crash203

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2019, 05:38:25 pm »
From what I know it did do some sitting before it came into my hands. There is oil leaking out of the valve cover so its a little hard for me to tell if there is in fact fuel leaking directly out of the injectors. (I have been told to look for small bubbles, but have not seen any.)

It makes sense to me that the fuel lines could be clogged up as I had apparently been getting low quality fuel... I'm going to get those old lines replaced, maybe the filter too, and get back to y'all thanks so much for your $.02!