Author Topic: Pushbar for the Caddy  (Read 6120 times)

November 27, 2019, 07:17:54 pm

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Restoring a Caddy as time and weather allows
Pushbar for the Caddy
« on: November 27, 2019, 07:17:54 pm »
This week I received a push bar from a seller in MI.  It bolts on the front of the Caddy!  Fairly stout too.  I am in the process of cleaning and repainting. 

Wondering if anyone has seen one before.  It is black in color but wondering if it should be GOLD!

Reply #1November 28, 2019, 10:43:25 am

RustyCaddy

• Veteran

Re: Pushbar for the Caddy
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2019, 10:43:25 am »
Please post pictures when you are done.  Have had a brush guard in the past but never a push bar.  It sounds like a keeper!

Reply #2December 06, 2019, 12:21:47 am

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2019, 12:21:47 am »
RustyCaddy,  Got it on today and working on getting pics loaded up somewhere. 

Not sure if I would call it a push bar now that it is on.  It over laps the rubber strip on the bumper. So maybe a grill protector or brush guard.

What is the opinion of others?  Brush buster or Push bar?

« Last Edit: December 06, 2019, 01:32:11 am by ORCoaster »

Reply #3December 06, 2019, 03:45:05 pm

Dennis Froelich

• Global Moderator
  • Junior

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2019, 03:45:05 pm »
Need some pics.... ;D
79 Golf GTD
96 Golf GTD(TDI)

Reply #4December 06, 2019, 11:33:13 pm

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2019, 11:33:13 pm »
yeah, yeah, yeah.  Thought I could get into my Photobucket account but NOOOOOO>  Maybe just to something else.  Anyone know if Google Photos works for posting pics?

Looks like shortcuts from Google photos works just nappy.

Will get them up, I have about three good ones. 

The front shot:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/crYb5gW83PyJzywU8

Revised front shots a better perspective.
https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipMir3D2p_8UhDIkWi_zzxPkOIqCX_ca_rFawg2D

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipOoMyzTJph8pG7nRBw-8QHcS_LDLRA5m_q-Z2PC

The attachment shot:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/tRvNNB3rDvPWrK1Z7

The truck with new Wheels and Tires
https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipPErUXCVjdyncK5MI-Oe8xZE6mbnbBXL7dQYnqL
« Last Edit: December 08, 2019, 08:40:39 pm by ORCoaster »

Reply #5December 07, 2019, 08:51:53 am

RustyCaddy

• Veteran

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2019, 08:51:53 am »
That looks really great, whatever else it is called.  Nice headlights too.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2019, 09:22:06 am by RustyCaddy »

Reply #6December 07, 2019, 12:50:48 pm

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2019, 12:50:48 pm »
Headlights were a bit of a problem though.  I purchased one set and they plugged directly into the VW sockets.  But I couldn't get them to align properly.  I even went the route of replacing all the alignment screws and the little plastic pieces too.  I was thinking they were just jammed after all the years of sitting in one spot.  The problem was not getting them up off the ground.  They projected only about 25 feet in front of the truck. 

So I sent them back and ordered from another place.  Those lights came with the same socket but an extension that had three individual wires on them.  I had to figure out where the high and low beams were on that setup.  They were nearly on the mark when I backed away from the wall 25 feet as the Bentley says to do.  Nice crisp line across the wall just a wee bit off from the center of the light.  A few twists with the screwdriver and I was good to go.  Very white light compared to the old yellow standard bulbs.

Another feature of the lights besides the low/high beams is a driving light.  The little arrow like parts you see in the picture.  Those are nice here on the coast for those less than sunny days.  People can see you in the shadows.  Also those turn orange when wired up to the signals.  So no one can say they didn't see my signal, I have two of them and one is pretty big. 

Now as a tweak to the driving lights I did what all electrical wizards do.  I improved on them.  They get wired to the running lights and so they could be on at the same time the low or high beams are.  I didn't want that so I put a relay in the line and when the low beams come on it closes the switch to the driving lights and they go off.  Turn the headlights off and the come back on.  What was even better is that I had the relay in my electrical box of spare parts and it cost me nothing to wire them up.  Even if I had to spend money that relay is probably about 7 bucks. 

I may pop a few more pictures from a distance greater than 5 feet.  I was sitting on the ground and the phone was right there so being less than ambitious I just took the shots.  Not really a good look from the front. 

Glad you like.  Sorry no thumb to click here. 

Reply #7December 07, 2019, 01:45:25 pm

Dennis Froelich

• Global Moderator
  • Junior

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2019, 01:45:25 pm »
Looks good sir!!

Link for wheels and ties didn't work for me.....
79 Golf GTD
96 Golf GTD(TDI)

Reply #8December 07, 2019, 01:58:10 pm

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2019, 01:58:10 pm »
Don't know what to say.  Works on my end.  Same place as the others.  Try a different browser?

Reply #9December 07, 2019, 02:31:59 pm

Dennis Froelich

• Global Moderator
  • Junior

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2019, 02:31:59 pm »
Me either.
79 Golf GTD
96 Golf GTD(TDI)

Reply #10December 07, 2019, 04:13:14 pm

RustyCaddy

• Veteran

« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2019, 04:13:14 pm »
Excellent about the lighting, sounds like a smart investment.  Really like the relay idea too; a user (RIP) had posted about relaying the driving lights so they would turn off when the ignition switch was in the off position and wondering if what you did might have had that additional benefit?  i am not to good with wiring concepts.

Reply #11December 07, 2019, 06:20:18 pm

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2019, 06:20:18 pm »
To kill the power to the switch from the ignition would be a similar deal.  Just the reverse however.  You would have to have the ignition switch on to send power to a relay that would then send power to the headlight switch.  Hmm, maybe I need that mod as I don't have the buzzer that works with the door switches. 

That is another way to do it as that switch is sending a signal to the light in the cab and you can pick that up an have it turn on a buzzer.  I hate to have the buzzer going when the doors are open and the keys are in the ignition.  I do too much work with them plugged in there.  So maybe the kill if no ignition is my best solution for turning the headlights off when I pull the key, and forget to push the knob.

Reply #12December 08, 2019, 06:00:31 pm

RustyCaddy

• Veteran

« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2019, 06:00:31 pm »
That makes sense.  Hoping to have some rainy weather garage time soon., will give it a try and report back when completed (or failed).

Fixmyvw.com