Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: New project, Early Golf mk2 GTD  (Read 2767 times)

October 27, 2019, 12:56:38 pm

ThatRedMk2

• Personal Text
    Golf mk2 enthusiast
New project, Early Golf mk2 GTD
« on: October 27, 2019, 12:56:38 pm »
Hey, new guy here with a brand new project GTD.

Found this almost all-original baby from the same lot my garage is located earlier this year. No plates and all doors locked so no access to the VIN number. I was desperately trying to find out who is the owner. I forgot about the GTD for a while and just 1 week ago, BOOM! The owner is my garage neighbour  :o

So, we agreed on me buying this gorgeous, a little bit harsh looking Golf for just 200€. Nearly mint interior, driver's seat is a little worn, parcel shelf has taken a little bit of curvy shape and the soft dashboard is cracked. The car works, no electrical issues, 5-speed manual with golfball shift knob with letter E for economy replacing the number 5 on gear pattern. Someone has replaced passenger side doors and front fender and painted them poorly (grey over white).

Engine smokes a bit, clearly burning oil. We've taken the turbo off and started the engine, no change on the smoking issue. Could head gasket cause this? Or would it be piston rings? I've never touched older diesel engines so I'm not so familiar with the smoke issues with them  ???

Reply #1October 27, 2019, 04:04:25 pm

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Restoring a Caddy as time and weather allows
Re: New project, Early Golf mk2 GTD
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2019, 04:04:25 pm »
Run some engine and diesel injector cleaner through it.  Sounds like sticking rings to me. Watch the oil consumption too, you don't want it to overheat and cause you even more trouble.

Wouldn't be a bad idea to replace filter and oil anyway.  Age alone would have degraded that oil by now.  Sitting an old car is hard on seals and fluids.  Check all carefully before running it anywhere or hard.

Reply #2October 27, 2019, 04:40:31 pm

ThatRedMk2

• Personal Text
    Golf mk2 enthusiast
Re: New project, Early Golf mk2 GTD
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2019, 04:40:31 pm »
Will change the oil and filter anyways, it's been sitting for 2 years but it was already smoking when it was left sitting (that's the reason it was left sitting). Will be replacing seals all over the engine to be sure it won't leak when I'll get the papers done for it so it'll be road legal... The car probably needs some welding, the floor might be a little bit soft. Checked the turbo to be sure it's not leaking oil. Also planning to install an intercooler if I find an original cooler for it.

Planning to check the body for soft spots next and weld it if needed. I'm restoring the car only because it is mostly original and has so many parts that usually are in bad condition or are really hard to find. Also, I need a diesel car since I got rid of my TDI Passat since my commute was only 1km and owning a diesel car here in Finland is rather expensive if you don't drive at least 25,000km a year... Bought my 1.8t Audi a year ago and since then I've driven over 35,000km...

S-PAutomotive.com