Author Topic: DI vs IDI dynamic timing  (Read 2988 times)

October 18, 2019, 05:28:49 pm

Bigmick77380

• Junior

DI vs IDI dynamic timing
« on: October 18, 2019, 05:28:49 pm »
Hi everyone !

Did someone know the difference between DI and IDI dynamic advance ?
I think i read somewhere that IDI timing start to move later than DI timing...
Also, anyone know what is the best compromise between advance and RPM ? How many degrees of advance by RPM ?

Thanks you  ;D

Reply #1October 18, 2019, 10:36:53 pm

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Restoring a Caddy as time and weather allows
Re: DI vs IDI dynamic timing
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2019, 10:36:53 pm »
Hi everyone !

Did someone know the difference between DI and IDI dynamic advance ?  Yes at one time there was a guy in Romania that knew all about that difference but then the Turks moved in and took it away from him. 

Sorry, I am trying to figure out the question.  Do you want to know at what RPM the advance starts to make a difference?  The total amount of advance?  Or? The way in which it gets delivered to the injectors.

I think i read somewhere that IDI timing start to move later than DI timing...    Got a source on that read?

Also, anyone know what is the best compromise between advance and RPM ? Again trying to figure out the intent of the question, Do you want to know if you run your engine at 2500 RPM does it advance more or less than if you upshift and run it a cruise at about 700 RPM less but less advance?

How many degrees of advance by RPM ?  That might be a curve that a Bosch manual might give to you.  But remember that the graph will be of a new IP and probably being fueled with the old style of diesel that had all kinds of nasty stuff in it like lubrication, Cetane for power, and was generally more dense and gave a better pressure at a lower idle. 

Thanks you  ;D  YOUS welcome. 

Reply #2October 19, 2019, 07:59:40 am

Bigmick77380

• Junior

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2019, 07:59:40 am »
Yeah i don't explain it realy well...

What i want to know is:

How the timing curve change with RPM (at MAX load) for IDI and TDI ?

How many degree of advance the pump give by range of RPM (like every 500rpm or 1000rpm the pump give XX degree of timing) ? (I know that every pump is different, but i'm asking about an average range).

Reply #3October 19, 2019, 10:32:32 am

libbydiesel

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2019, 10:32:32 am »
Is this just an academic exercise or is there some functional purpose behind your questions?

Reply #4October 19, 2019, 10:56:54 am

Bigmick77380

• Junior

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2019, 10:56:54 am »
Both, i'm curious and maybe i will play with this later