Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: Giles Pump matched to a K14  (Read 283 times)

July 19, 2019, 09:51:19 am

Spokerider

• Junior

• View Profile
Giles Pump matched to a K14
« on: July 19, 2019, 09:51:19 am »
  I have a Giles modded pump, that has [ supposedly ] been tuned to use with a K14 turbo....as per previous owner info.

Can you guys please offer any insight on what form of tuning has been done, to be specifically matched to a K14 turbo? In the realm of the "Giles pump tuning world", would it be a mildly tuned pump? Moderately tuned? I know it ain't gunna be a high performace tuned / mod.

How well could I expect it [ the pump on a stock aaz ] to run with a Ko3 turbo, tuned the way it currently is?
 How can I de-tune it if needed?.......and what would need to be done to de-tune it, for optimum performance with a Ko3?

Thanks.

Reply #1July 19, 2019, 11:07:49 pm

rabbid79

• Veteran

• View Profile
Re: Giles Pump matched to a K14
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2019, 11:07:49 pm »
When Giles builds his Super pumps, he asked for things like how much boost and RPMs you're going to run, engine displacement, fuel injector type, etc.  It's anybody's guess how that particular pump was set up.  (Perhaps he keeps track of this by serial number? Maybe you can ask?)

Anyway, something he almost always does is sets the governor much higher.  I don't remember the exact stock setting, but Bosch/VW really sets it pretty low on stock pumps.  With the governor removed, the pump will maintain full fueling much higher into the RPMs.  Getting rid of the governor is good, but it also needs to be complemented by increasing the amount of timing, which is another custom modification he makes.

I don't know if he makes modifications to the LDA pin or not.  This pin is ultimately what will control fueling based on boost.  It's something you can adjust yourself if needed.  Look up "star wheel" or something like that to see how it's done.  It's pretty simple.

But I do know that when I installed a new Super pump on on my engine, it started perfectly, idled perfectly, and produced very little smoke under all conditions.

Again, I don't know about your situation, but the modded pump you have will almost certainly perform better than any stock pump you could run.
'15 WRX
Parts for 2.0 TD build - Now looking for suitable car to put it in.

Reply #2July 20, 2019, 10:07:55 am

Spokerider

• Junior

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2019, 10:07:55 am »
Thank you 79, that is helpful info.

« Last Edit: July 27, 2019, 02:42:47 pm by Spokerider »

Reply #3September 01, 2019, 10:27:52 pm

burn_your_money

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Bright, On
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2019, 10:27:52 pm »
Assuming he built it for stock boost pressures it will work fine. The biggest difference will be in how quickly it increases fueling with boost pressure. Since the K03 spools so fast, the fuel is also increased quickly. The K14 is also quite fast to spool so there isn't going to be much difference. If he built it for higher than stock boost pressure, you're going to get a lot of black smoke at WOT.
Tyler

Fixmyvw.com