Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: 1.9 Engine code location???  (Read 23763 times)

January 06, 2009, 11:34:36 am

Anxiety

1.9 Engine code location???
« on: January 06, 2009, 11:34:36 am »
Hi all, I have what I believe to be a 1.9 in my Caddy but, I can't find the engine code on the block. It's very possible I'm not looking in the right place. My first VW diesel. From everything I've read it should be on a machined surface on the front of the block (by the IP), visible with the engine completely together and in the car. I see some #'s and other things that were cast into the block, but no stamped #'s. If anyone has a picture they could post or something showing where these #'s should be I would be most grateful.

Oh, don't know if it matters but the current engine was bought as a brand new replacement engine about 4-5 years ago. The person I bought the truck from said it was a 1.9 turbo motor without a turbo. That's all I know of it.
The reason I need to identify which engine is in the car is because I was told it needed a new timing belt and the injectors were from the old motor I think.

Thanks in advance for any help. Andrew

Reply #1January 06, 2009, 07:24:49 pm

TurboJ

• Veteran

« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2009, 07:24:49 pm »
The code is indeed stamped on the front of the block ( you can't really cast numbers since each engine has a different one), right up there where the block meets the head. The engine type code will be a combination of two or three letters, and then there's a number code which tells yoi the build date etc. The codes can be a little tricky to see with all the engine ancillaries attached, but you can see them if you try. Use a flashlight and try some different angles!
---------------------------------------
Jetta II 1.6 TD 'Project 200'

Reply #2January 07, 2009, 12:58:55 am

Anxiety

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2009, 12:58:55 am »
Well unless they are so lightly stamped that a coat of black paint is covering them, there are no #'s there. Unless they are hidden behind the IP? I looked back there with a mirror and flashlight and scrubbed with a wire brush and nothing. Could it be that because this is an aftermarket engine that there were never any #'s stamped on it? This motor was bought BRAND NEW, not rebuilt, about 4 years ago.

Just to clarify where I am looking to make sure I'm in the right general area, I am searching towards the deck of the block, between the IP and vacuum pump? There is only one machined surface in the area and it is clean with no #'s. Could they be stamped right into the casting? My book really doesn't show a damn thing.

I looked at my book again and for a gasser it shows a machined surface with numbers stamped on it but it doesn't show anything for the diesel engine.

Reply #3January 07, 2009, 02:14:38 am

TurboJ

• Veteran

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2009, 02:14:38 am »
The numbers should be where they are on the gas engine - if they aren't there then there are none I'm afraid. Maybe you can post a picture of the engine here so someone can help you ID it?
---------------------------------------
Jetta II 1.6 TD 'Project 200'

Reply #4January 08, 2009, 06:10:50 pm

Anxiety

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2009, 06:10:50 pm »
Good idea TurboJ. I was going to put a picture up with the post originally but I had to set up an account at Photobucket first. Let's see if I can get this on the first try:

Inside the crude red box, behind the water hoses, between the IP and vacuum pump, where the head meets the block, is where I believe the numbers should be. The only machined surace on the block is visible in the picture but, there are no numbers, letters or otherwise on it.

I'm pretty confident, based on other posts I've read here using the search, that it is a 1.9 with a hydraulic head. Also, though not visible in the picture, someone has modified the timing cover by cutting/brazing it back together. The guy I bought it from told me it has either a brand new or rebuilt IP, a performance piece of some sort if I remember correctly. He told me it cost him $700 US (not sure if that was labor included since I know this guy didn't install it). But, he also told me it was ready for a timing belt and that is one of the reasons I would like to find out exactly what I have here so I can get the correct parts the first time.

It also needs injectors as one of them leaks and they have at least 100,000 miles on them. They are the injectors from the original motor. Changed the return lines already. One of the nipples that the return lines slide over is loose and it leaks from there. No other leaks. Mileage is 38 miles per US gallon at best. My understanding is that 1.9 or 1.6, because it is N/A, I need 130-135 bar injectors.

Reply #5January 08, 2009, 11:52:08 pm

blkboostedtruck

• Veteran

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2009, 11:52:08 pm »
if no #'s then it's a industrial motor most likely?
Duane
injector rebuilds call  414-840-1395 for faster service not on line much!
'66 variant 1500S
'81 2dr n/a 1.6 diesel rabbit 8"lift 260K R.I.P.
'81 caddy gas 1.8 turbo/stroker W/N.O.S.
'81 caddy 1.9 turbo diesel
'82 caddy gas 1.8 G60
 3 jettas '82' '04 '14TDI
+1 rabbit,03 HD sc.eag. duece,46,&5

Reply #6January 09, 2009, 12:01:34 pm

Anxiety

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2009, 12:01:34 pm »
Industrial motor? Like of a piece of small equipment? I guess that's possible. I only know what the dude told me I bought the car from. He said he bought the motor brand new, not rebuilt (he stressed that point about 5 times) and that the motor only had about 60,000 miles from new on it. I don't know whether it was like a "new/old stock" type of thing or what. I have seen new motors advertised on the internet.

http://zs-imports.com/product_info.php?products_id=527

Wow. Just found this picture of a TDI motor. 1Z/AHU motor? It looks like the numbers are on that machined surface right there. If that's where the numers are located on a diesel, then mine definitely doesn't have any.  

Has anyone ever heard of that? A motor with no serial numbers? I mean, besides the obvious where someone stole the motor and ground them. LOL

http://zs-imports.com/product_info.php?products_id=533

Fixmyvw.com