Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: My TDI project - Phase 1  (Read 3111 times)

February 07, 2007, 10:49:51 am

lord_verminaard

• Veteran

My TDI project - Phase 1
« on: February 07, 2007, 10:49:51 am »
I have finally thrown down the money on a low-miles ALH from an 00 Jetta, and an 02J TDI-Tranny from an 01 Jetta.  The will both be fitted in my Scirocco.  I am SO excited to finally get the ball rolling on this project, it seems like I have been dreaming and planning it for EVER!  My goal is to have it running by early summer, then it will all get torn down and the real fun will begin.  I'll update when I actually have something to update.  :)  My only two major concerns that I have right now is:  

1.  No injection pump.  What's the cheapest way to get this thing running in at least stock form, while going all mechanical?  Eventually, I plan on a fully built 4BT pump from Superior Fuel Injection but how do I get it running in the meantime?

2.  Turbo.  It comes with the VNT-15, but I'm running without electronics so I either need to change it out or make it work mechanically.  This will be a temporary solution, as I have NO plans on running any sort of VNT turbo down the line. ;)  Could I use an older TD manifold and say, T3 turbo?

:)

Brendan
84 Scirocco 8v
01 Jeep TJ 4.0

81 Scirocco 'S -->Soon to be m-TDI
93 Corrado SLC VR6
'86 Golf N/A Diesel  -->Wife's car
1990 Audi CQ
05 New Beetle PD TDI

"I am a man, I can change... if I have to.... I guess....."

-Red Green

Reply #1February 07, 2007, 12:01:08 pm

g-spec

• Veteran

My TDI project - Phase 1
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2007, 12:01:08 pm »
From what I know, in order to run a stock mechanical IP you would have to change the shaft and cam plate I think for the TDI one...cause the stock one wont hold up to the increase in pressure!! Not 100% on this...so if someone knows for sure correct me please!!
yes you can run a t3 turbo on the tdi!!! you will need a manifold I think unless the VNT bolt pattern is the same!!!!
good luck!!

Reply #2February 07, 2007, 12:39:30 pm

wolfsburgnut

• Junior

My TDI project - Phase 1
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2007, 12:39:30 pm »
Keep the VNT or get a bigger VNT...
http://vwdiesel.net/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=6274
If that doesnt convince you I don't what would.

There has been a lot of threads about independent VNT controllers up lately, I would think before too long someone is going to have an easy cheap out of the box solution for VNTs.  I am currently working on one myself :D

Peter
1995 Golf 1.9
1994 Golf Marathon
1990 Golf 1.8
1986 Golf Wolfsburg Ed.

S-PAutomotive.com