Author Topic: Make your NA diesel (non-turbo) a faster car  (Read 158406 times)

Reply #15January 13, 2010, 12:24:22 pm

clbanman

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Cambridge, Ontario
Re: Make your NA diesel (non-turbo) a faster car
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2010, 12:24:22 pm »
Definitely do an exhaust upgrade to a N/A.   Here's a link to my post on what I did on mine.  http://www.vwdiesel.net/forum/index.php?topic=20427.msg155903#msg155903  I used 2.25" I.D. from the toilet bowl back to the axle, then 2" (I just had the needed bends available, as well as a turbo muffler).   I would NOT run a N/A without a muffler, because it is loud enough to be annoying in the car and attract the attention of law enforcement officials.  If I drive like I did before the mod, I can save a little bit of fuel, but to be honest, the ability to keep up with the majority of traffic as opposed to previously is so nice that I beat on the sucker much more than I did before, so my fuel mileage has dropped.  My last 2 tanks, using winter fuel and "spirited driving" (for a N/A) netted me 6.15l/100km or 38.22 mpg U.S. or 45.9 mpg imperial.   
Calvin
91 VW Golf 1.6NA 5spd

Reply #16January 13, 2010, 10:55:29 pm

maxfax

• Veteran

« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2010, 10:55:29 pm »
On both Rabbits I did the oversized toilet bowl thing like 8v mentioned.. One had 2.25" pipe and a turbo muffler, the other 2" pipe and a glass pack (Yeah it's sort of loud).. Aside from power gains I've noticed my coolant temps tend to run lower..  Especially when ascending a mountain on a 90F day...

Reply #17February 03, 2010, 01:18:03 pm

Rabbit on Roids

« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2010, 01:18:03 pm »
I must add that 2.5" is PLENTY big, actually too big. And a muffler is a must, my setup (in my sig) is waaay too loud and hits the frequencies of a ricer.

our engines cant hit the frequencies of a ricer, they simply dont spin enough rpms, but if you were comparing decibels, the vw diesel wins every time.

if you like pipes that rap, go straight pipe on your n/a. if you value your hearing, use a flowmaster, magna flow, glass pack, or something that is almost straight through.

Reply #18February 03, 2010, 10:29:37 pm

rabbitman

• Veteran

« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2010, 10:29:37 pm »
It's probably not the same frequency as a ricer but it has that same annoying "buzz".
'82 Rabbit, I put on a euro vnt-15, 2.25" DP, 2.5" exhaust, the result.....it whistled.

I removed the turbo, made a toilet bowl 2.5" DP, the result....it was deafening. Now it has a homemade muffler up front and a thrush in the rear, the result.....less loud.
Watch: AGENDA, GRINDING AMERICA DOWN

Reply #19February 05, 2010, 12:45:38 pm

Rabbit on Roids

« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2010, 12:45:38 pm »
It's probably not the same frequency as a ricer but it has that same annoying "buzz".

thats exhaust resonance or something like that. the sound you get in the cabin at a certain RPM that just freakin buzzes? is your tail pipe coming out under the car, or out behind the car like its supposed to be? cause if it comes out even an inch before the roll pan, you will get alot more noise in your car. i like to have my tail pipes come out to the bumper almost.

Reply #20February 05, 2010, 04:07:04 pm

rabbitman

• Veteran

« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2010, 04:07:04 pm »
Yeah the tip stuck out a few inches past the body until I put on a 8-10 inch extension trying to quiet it down, it barely helped.
'82 Rabbit, I put on a euro vnt-15, 2.25" DP, 2.5" exhaust, the result.....it whistled.

I removed the turbo, made a toilet bowl 2.5" DP, the result....it was deafening. Now it has a homemade muffler up front and a thrush in the rear, the result.....less loud.

Reply #21February 06, 2010, 02:24:32 pm

Rabbit on Roids

« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2010, 02:24:32 pm »
Yeah the tip stuck out a few inches past the body until I put on a 8-10 inch extension trying to quiet it down, it barely helped.

you got a muffler on it? did you ever think about running a flowmaster (or some sort of good muffler) with a resonator or glasspack in front of it? i loved the way my car sounded with the flowie on it. diesels have a unique sound through a flowmaster, nothing like ive ever heard before..

i had a setup on my n/a rabbit where i had just a glasspack on it, and it was FARKIN LOUD. the exhaust would start rapping at about 1500 rpms, and it would rap louder the more gas you gave it. then i had some sort of generic welded muffler on it with some bigger pipe, sounded alot better, but it was still kinda loud. thats what makes me say that the combo of both a muff and a resonator would be good if you want quiet and flow.

Reply #22February 06, 2010, 03:09:14 pm

rabbitman

• Veteran

« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2010, 03:09:14 pm »
Right now it's just 2.5 straight ;D

I've been looking for a muffler but I'm having a hard time finding a good one that'll fit.....is Thrush brand any good? The napa here has an oval one with offset inlet/outlets but I need either both center or at least the inlet centered.

Reply #23February 06, 2010, 03:39:59 pm

Rabbit on Roids

« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2010, 03:39:59 pm »
Right now it's just 2.5 straight ;D

I've been looking for a muffler but I'm having a hard time finding a good one that'll fit.....is Thrush brand any good? The napa here has an oval one with offset inlet/outlets but I need either both center or at least the inlet centered.

i would at least get a cheap all welded muffler. and thrush turbo mufflers are kinda like a raptor muffler, bottom of the barrel muffler that will do the job, but who knows how well it flows. a glass pack would be an improvement in your case. weld one in your system right behind the shifter. about a 24 incher or so. it will be way better than what you got now. and the only reason i say use a welded muffler, is because they last about 80million times longer, and they usually flow SOO much better. cheap knock off flowmasters cost under 40 bucks everywhere ive seen them.

Reply #24February 06, 2010, 05:06:47 pm

rabbitman

• Veteran

« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2010, 05:06:47 pm »
I'm looking at a thrush "welded" muffler, it's the baffle type and the parts guy says it's free flowing. I held one (the wrong config) and it felt good and solid.

Like this: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Dynomax-Thrush-Welded-Muffler-3-0-In-2-5-Out-Aluminized_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem4ced82fc03QQitemZ330402298883QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

It's really irritating that they won't ship to AK........

Reply #25February 06, 2010, 07:23:37 pm

8v-of-fury

« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2010, 07:23:37 pm »
Thrush brand has been a big name in the performance mufller industry for over 50 years. They will be a good choice to go with. Sound throaty on a 5.0L ford with a 351 cam in it.  It may be just what your looking for.

I wouldn't cheap out on an exhaust.. if it rusts out 3 years down the road your just back in there doing it again right... Do it right, once. lol

Reply #26February 06, 2010, 07:57:02 pm

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Holmes County Ohio - North Central Ohio
« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2010, 07:57:02 pm »
I'm looking at a thrush "welded" muffler, it's the baffle type and the parts guy says it's free flowing. I held one (the wrong config) and it felt good and solid.

Like this: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Dynomax-Thrush-Welded-Muffler-3-0-In-2-5-Out-Aluminized_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem4ced82fc03QQitemZ330402298883QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

It's really irritating that they won't ship to AK........

I do :D... I need an excuse to go to summit I could get one and send it to you, but I wouldn't be able to get there until thursday the 11th at the earliest. I work out of an office in canton Ohio and am 20-30 minutes from summit when I am there. I have no clue what it would run to ship up there. I could get it thurs and ship possibly ship  on the 12th or 13th or 16th as I think the 15th is a postal holiday.

Reply #27February 07, 2010, 02:46:12 pm

rabbitman

• Veteran

« Reply #27 on: February 07, 2010, 02:46:12 pm »
On Tuesday a muffler man is coming to napa so I'm gonna see if he can find one.

If that doesn't work out I'll see if summit has one and let you know. It would be less messing around if napa could come through though......thanks ;D

Reply #28February 08, 2010, 06:28:55 pm

rabbitman

• Veteran

« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2010, 06:28:55 pm »
Would a glass pack or a resonator be best in my case? It would be going in behind the shifter and will be used with a muffler......if I can get a muffler ::).

This, http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/Miscellaneous/exhausttheory.htm says a glasspack will go "thud" when tapped and a true resonator will go "ping", the resonator has sound absorbing material in it and the resonator doesn't. But it doesn't say what the difference in exhaust sound will be.

Reply #29February 08, 2010, 06:33:17 pm

8v-of-fury

« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2010, 06:33:17 pm »
I am using a 24" Cherry Bomb Glass-pack in front of the shifter on my 1.7 gasser. exhaust not sounds amazing.. I used to have a cheap muffler behind it and it sounded quiet and good at the same time.. just the glasspack alone is wayy to loud for normal standards.. but i enjoy it :)

Fixmyvw.com