S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: Gas to diesel swap...worth it?  (Read 3478 times)

July 05, 2006, 10:28:03 pm

JohnBeretta

Gas to diesel swap...worth it?
« on: July 05, 2006, 10:28:03 pm »
I recently bought a gasser 1987 Jetta with the intention of converting it to a diesel.  I did a little research before I bought it but now that I'm seriously reading up on it heavilly, I'm starting to think I bought more than I bargained for.  

I know I'm gonna have to get a diesel engine (leaning towards 1.6NA from the same era) and a new fuel pump but I've also been told I need a diesel transmission and a new fuel tank because gassers have unnessisary stuff on them and probably new fuel lines rated for diesel.  Anything i'm missing?  I can just see the costs and headaches escalating.  I want a diesel so I can make my own B100 and burn that and I know in a couple of years I can be back even or ahead and I could probably sell it on eBay for a tidy profit and trade up to a Caddy or something newer, but I'm all of a sudden having a hard tiem convinging myself it's gonna be worth the agravation.  Put me at ease or give me the hard truth, is it worth it?  Thanks for any advise.

Reply #1July 05, 2006, 11:00:16 pm

firestorm13666

• Junior

« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2006, 11:00:16 pm »
Well the hard part i would say is geting all the parts you need.And well if you are who i think you are i will sent someone a email and see what al parts they have laying around for a diesel swap.

Reply #2July 05, 2006, 11:02:02 pm

burn_your_money

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Bright, On
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2006, 11:02:02 pm »
You don't need a new tranny but the gearing of a diesel will better suit the engine. You can use the gas tank and the gas fuel pump (it will be used to prime the diesel pump, which is on the engine)

Here is an excellent link
http://www.dubnetworks.net/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=492
Tyler

Reply #3July 06, 2006, 02:25:17 am

745 turbogreasel

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2006, 02:25:17 am »
Once you have replaced your VW motor enough times, a G2D swap can be accomplished in less than one day, and even have working guages.
You may live in a lucky state, but here in CA, we are required to use an engine that is younger than the chassis.
Trashing AC and PS speeds things along and makes you faster.
If you use a longitudal engine, you will need the thermostat housing from a transverse car.

Reply #4July 07, 2006, 04:07:40 pm

zyewdall

• Veteran

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2006, 04:07:40 pm »
The transmission for the 1991 gas GTI is very good for a diesel -- better than the diesel trannies as far as lowering highway rpm.  It actually likes cruising at about 75 to 80mph on the highway, which I consider pretty darn good for a NA diesel.  I didn't switch the fuel tank either, but I did have to cut the filler neck to fit the diesel nozzle in there, and whether the gas lines will stand up to long term exposure to B100, I don't know....

Costwise, it's probably cheaper to just run the gas car, but I refuse to buy gas any more, so thats not an option for me.  And if you ran an SVO system or made your own biodiesel, you could save a bit of money.  I'm buying biodiesel, which is running about 20 cents a gallon higher than diesel here.
'84 Mitsubishi 4x4 2.3L turbo biodiesel pickup
'91 VW Rabbit GTI with 1.6 biodiesel transplant
'81 Toyota longbed 2wd 2.2NA biodiesel pickup (for sale)
'89 Subaru 4x4 touring wagon
 '82 subaru 4x4 TDI wagon -- project on hold
1976 Ford Sasquatch pickup

Reply #5July 07, 2006, 07:22:02 pm

Master ACiD

• Veteran

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2006, 07:22:02 pm »
its worth it if you get the donor car cheap enough. i bought my donor car for $75.  a rusted out rabbit pickup.

i put the engine in a clean 84 rabbit gas shell.

Fixmyvw.com