Author Topic: Fuel milage idea  (Read 3079 times)

June 29, 2006, 11:29:02 pm

firestorm13666

• Junior

Fuel milage idea
« on: June 29, 2006, 11:29:02 pm »
My idea is to cut off two of the cylinder(#2 and 4) and make it 2 cylinder engine like the old Caddie 4 6 8 4100 V8.My idea is to place a hydraulic solenoid after a T fitting in the injection line.Now the solenoid would cut off the fuel flow to the engine and the fuel would travail out the T fitting to the return line or a tank of some kind to deal with the pressure.The solenoid would cut off the fuel flow at 35MPH?Also i could hook up a switch like a brake light switch to the clutch pedal so when you go to shift gears you have full power.Also you could do the same for the gas pedal so when you need to pass someone you can.So what do you all think of my idea?The way i see it is if this could be done you could get around 80 MPG plus.

Reply #1June 29, 2006, 11:58:35 pm

QuickTD

• Veteran

Fuel milage idea
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2006, 11:58:35 pm »
Gasoline engines tend to be most efficient at full throttle, operating a gasoline engine at large throttle openings reduces the pumping loss. The throuble is, full throttle operation produces more power than is required to operate a vehicle at highway speeds. The solution in common use these days (new chrysler hemi, GM V8's) is to drop cylinders by closing the intake/exhaust valves. With no air movement in the dead cylinders there is no pumping loss and only friction losses. The remaining cylinders then operate under higher load and greater throttle opening, reducing the pumping loss and increasing the efficiency. Perfectly logical for a gasoline engine with a throttle plate.

A diesel engine runs unthrottled so dropping cylinders and increasing the load on the remaining ones will not produce similar gains in efficiency. In fact, it may make it worse. You'll still be pumping air and the greater thermal load on the remaining cylinders will probably result in greater heat loss to the cooling system.

Reply #2June 30, 2006, 12:48:18 am

hillfolk'r

• Veteran

Fuel milage idea
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2006, 12:48:18 am »
i had an injector line break on me once in the middle of nowhere,but i was able to rig up a hose on the broken line+stuffed  that into a 2liter coke bottle in front of the engine between the rad+drove it home like 60 miles,it was slow as crap, i could barely get 55 mph on the flats...i stopped like every 10-15 miles+dumped the 2 liter back in the tank,which would get about 2/3 full
maybe if you could open the valves somehow so you didnt have the compression to fight,but its still gonna be way too much work,and probably darn near impossible
Throttle cables ftw

Reply #3June 30, 2006, 12:17:34 pm

RAMMSTEIN

• Veteran

Fuel milage idea
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2006, 12:17:34 pm »
80 mpg is attainable with a few mods on TDI's, I'm able to get 50+ with my 1.6D, not aligned and without cruise control.

Careful driving with a TDI can yield 75+mpg.

I don't see the point in doing this, really, with small diesels.
Rammstein

In abscence of light, darkness prevails.

Reply #4June 30, 2006, 01:12:10 pm

vwmike

• Authorized Vendor
  • Veteran

Fuel milage idea
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2006, 01:12:10 pm »
I'd have to agree... I think you'd be pissing in the wind. Fuel economy in a diesel is directly related to the amount of energy required to move the car. Dropping cylinders is only going to reduce the overall efficiency and with any of the NA diesels there is barely enough power there to propel the car at highway speeds....let alone enough surplus to make this concept feesable.

Fixmyvw.com