S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: Wiring Harness: Where do all the wires go? Pic pls...  (Read 4399 times)

June 11, 2006, 01:22:17 pm

cleoo

Wiring Harness: Where do all the wires go? Pic pls...
« on: June 11, 2006, 01:22:17 pm »
I'm trying to re-wire a burnt out wiring harness.

I have the Bentley and I'm not electrically inclined, but if anyone has pictures of where specific wires go that would help immensely.

Here are some wires that are "loose":

1) I have S1 and S2 switches that I think I wired correctly, but I may have inverted them.

2) There is a black and white (or is it gray?) wire that looks like it goes all the way to the alternator. It has a female spade on the end. I assume it goes to the rear of the alternator to that male spade...but I could be wrong...I thought that spade was for the voltage gauge???

3) There is a thick red/white wire that I'm assuming goes to the glow plug.

Those are the main ones. The guy who had this rabbit before wired up the engine compartment with house electrical switches to operate the car. I don't know how he got it to work, but a majority of the wires were misplaced.

Appreciate any and all help.

Thanks.

1982 Volkswagen Rabbit Diesel 4 dr Burnished Metallic Gold 1.6NA

Reply #1June 13, 2006, 08:40:21 pm

tylernt

• Veteran

« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2006, 08:40:21 pm »
If by S1 and S2 you mean the ones that go on the injection pump to sense idle and WOT positions, then I don't think it matters if they are backwards. It would only affect your upshift light anyway.

The black/gray wire goes the the W terminal on your alternator. There are 4 wires to the alternator: three are right next to each other, two big red and a little blue wire. The red wires go to the battery and the blue wire is your dashboard warning light. The W terminal is off by itself and the letter W should actually be stamped on your alternator there. Not all alternators have a W terminal, so you can just leave it unhooked if your alternator is missing it. If you have a tachometer it won't work without a W terminal, though. Also there is a dynamic oil pressure warning relay on later cars that won't work without the W terminal.

The thick red/white wire goes from your fusebox through the firewall up to the back of the engine compartment where there is a big 50A fuse. From there it goes to the #4 glow plug (drivers side) and then there's a copper bus bar connecting to the other glow plugs.
'82 Diesel Rabbit, '88 Fox RIP, '88 Jetta (work in progress)

Reply #2June 29, 2006, 02:57:22 am

fspGTD

• Veteran

• http://home.comcast.net/~vwgtd
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2006, 02:57:22 am »
Moved to troubleshooting.  IDI engine is for power enhancement related discussion only.
Jake Russell
'81 VW Rabbit GTD Autocrosser 1.6lTD, SCCA FSP Class
Dieselicious Turbocharger Upgrade/Rebuild Kits

Reply #3June 29, 2006, 04:10:33 pm

cleoo

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2006, 04:10:33 pm »
Sorry, thought the IDI section was where I should post it. The troubleshooting said mechanical...didn't think electrical was included.

Anyhoot.

Is this the W terminal? It doesn't show a W on this motorola alternator...

I think this is the glow plug relay. I'm figuring the relay is burnt from the inside. The connector is burnt, but, I think, useable.

These two relays had a black wire from both leading fused into 1 wire, but the wire had totally disintegrated from the short. I think that 1 wire led into the number 5 connector of the wiring harness. If I'm wrong, please tell me so I can re-wire that to the correct number connector

Under the dash some more wiring was burnt leading up to the fusebox...but the fusebox was not burnt. Can someone tell me what is missing from this fusebox? The bentley is not too clear on what is present and I don't really see this style of fuse box in the book.

Currently, after the rewire, the radio turns on and the dash lights turn on, but I haven't even put in the ignition key yet?!?

When I do turn the ignition to start, nothing turns over.
1982 Volkswagen Rabbit Diesel 4 dr Burnished Metallic Gold 1.6NA

Reply #4June 29, 2006, 04:25:49 pm

tylernt

• Veteran

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2006, 04:25:49 pm »

Is this the W terminal? It doesn't show a W on this motorola alternator...
I don't know the answer to your other questions so I'll let someone else field those. But VW alternators usually 4 or 5 terminals. 3 are together in that big connector, two big wires for charging the battery and one small blue wire for the dash warning light. A 4th terminal is for a noise suppressor, there's a little capacitor thingie in a plastic box that you can (optuionally) attach to reduce alternator noise coming into your radio. The 5th terminal, which some alaternators lack entirely, is W.

I would guess that your unlabeled terminal is for the noise suppressor if your tach doesn't work.
'82 Diesel Rabbit, '88 Fox RIP, '88 Jetta (work in progress)