S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: Injection Pump for sale?  (Read 5852 times)

September 04, 2004, 03:23:52 pm

Turbo DS

• Junior

Injection Pump for sale?
« on: September 04, 2004, 03:23:52 pm »
Just wondering if there is any intrest in an injection pump from a mitsubishi Turbo 2.2L (I believe).

Part numbers are:

INJ PUMP ASS'Y NO 104740-3110  

Pump NO 104640-3070
NP-VE4/10F2100 RNP166

Anyone know the details of the pump?

It has a neat tach pickup/sender on the pump body that measures the gear teeth on the govenor!  Should be pretty damn accurate.

Reply #1September 06, 2004, 05:00:37 pm

fspGTD

• Veteran

• http://home.comcast.net/~vwgtd
Injection Pump for sale?
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2004, 05:00:37 pm »
I have one from a mid-80's mitsubishi pickup truck 4-cylinder turbo-diesel...  I wonder if it's the same?  I'll have to go look at it's part number and see.  I know it's a 10mm plunger and also off a 4-cylinder motor.  The direction of rotation is compatible with VW, the pump sprocket mounting is also compatible.  It has a coolant temperature sensor that controls it's cold start timing advance, I think.  Also some sort of idle speed adjustment linkage.  The pump mounting bolts are different as there are only 2 pump mounting bolts on the timing belt flange, rather than the 3 found on vw pumps, however I found that a VW pump mounting plate could be modified to accept this configuration.
Jake Russell
'81 VW Rabbit GTD Autocrosser 1.6lTD, SCCA FSP Class
Dieselicious Turbocharger Upgrade/Rebuild Kits

Reply #2September 06, 2004, 11:00:32 pm

Turbo DS

• Junior

Injection Pump for sale?
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2004, 11:00:32 pm »
It sounds possible Jake.  Might be a nice pump for someone perhaps?  

If only it were >10mm and for a six cylinder.... 8)

Reply #3September 07, 2004, 08:14:01 am

caddy

• Veteran

Injection Pump for sale?
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2004, 08:14:01 am »
where is the pump?

Reply #4September 07, 2004, 11:06:20 am

fspGTD

• Veteran

Re: Injection Pump for sale?
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2004, 11:06:20 am »
Quote from: "Turbo DS"
Just wondering if there is any intrest in an injection pump from a mitsubishi Turbo 2.2L (I believe).

Part numbers are:

INJ PUMP ASS'Y NO 104740-3110  

Pump NO 104640-3070
NP-VE4/10F2100 RNP166

Anyone know the details of the pump?

It has a neat tach pickup/sender on the pump body that measures the gear teeth on the govenor!  Should be pretty damn accurate.

The pump I have is one number off from yours... but very close!

Mine is:
NP-VE4/10F2100RNP167

I wonder if mine has that tachometer pickup you describe?  I'll have to take another look at it.  There were some electrical gizmos on it that weren't familiar to me.

When I had the  injection pump mounting bracket off recently, I held it up to this mitsubishi pickup pump with the 2, 180-degree mounting bolts, and I remember thinking that the bracket could be adapted to mount the pump fairly easily.

More info (including a couple pics) are available on this old forum thread: http://www.hostboard.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=4037&t=411

I'm going to be keeping mine as a potential high-performance pump project.  The governor will need to be tweaked for higher RPM, and possibly the timing advance will need to be fiddled with as well.  But 10mm plunger... should be more efficient and give less smoking than a 9mm plunger, according to VW's own testing published in the 1.6lTD SAE paper.  Mmmm!

This pump is definitely not a "bolt on" easy adaptation for a VW, but the potential is there!
Jake Russell

Reply #5September 13, 2004, 01:00:34 pm

fspGTD

• Veteran

Injection Pump for sale?
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2004, 01:00:34 pm »
Hey, I just wanted to add that I looked at my mitsubishi pickup truck VE pump, I found a 2-wire electrical connector of some sort on the back side of the pump that I was not previously able to identify... it could be this tach pickup you were talking about!  It's located at about the right place to pickup the gear-teeth next to the flyweights.  I wonder how many pulses per crank rpm it puts out, and what is needed to get it to work with a standard (gas motor) tach?  Anyway, thanks for this info - this is giving me one more reason to convert to this pump at one point in the future.  (With the 10mm plunger being the other reason.   :) )

It also has some sort of electric timing control looks like mounted to the fuel return banjo.  Maybe it's a solenoid that can electrically vary the restriction of the fuel return orifice?
Jake Russell

Reply #6September 14, 2004, 12:07:13 am

Turbo DS

• Junior

Injection Pump for sale?
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2004, 12:07:13 am »
Yup thats it.  Its a two terminal device, so it may even generate a useable pulse.  That gear has a nice amount of teeth, so the output should be VERY accurate and smooth.  However, you might need a divider to get it to work with a gas 4cylinder tach.  Pretty slick mounting.

While there are a lot of wires around the pump for the harness for the car, there are no electric timing parts on the pump.

Take some photos of your pump, and these controls if you have a chance.

Reply #7September 14, 2004, 01:29:55 am

fspGTD

• Veteran

Injection Pump for sale?
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2004, 01:29:55 am »
If there are too many pulses for a 4-cyl gas tach, keep in mind there are always tachs made for 6- and 8- cylinder gas engines pretty commonly as well!

Regarding the suspected electric timing control... you can kind of see it in this pic which I took earlier, from that other thread:

...see the big long extension on the fuel return banjo fitting with the wires connecting at the end?

I think I'll be getting a fancy new digital camera pretty soon.  I can take some more close and detailed shots of the pump with it.
Jake Russell

Reply #8September 18, 2004, 10:53:19 am

Turbo DS

• Junior

Injection Pump for sale?
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2004, 10:53:19 am »
That piece looks interesting.  I will have another look at mine.  Ok just checked it, and I do not have that bit.  Please investigate that more!!!  It appears to be part of the return/out bolt.  Perhaps it has two different orifice sizes? Or shuts the return off at high loads/boost?  

If this is an external device, which it appears to be, that means that it may be fitted to other pumps!

Congrats on getting married too!