Author Topic: Garrett Turbocharger, 1983 Jetta  (Read 4014 times)

June 06, 2006, 08:40:48 am

RWPerry

Garrett Turbocharger, 1983 Jetta
« on: June 06, 2006, 08:40:48 am »
Can the wastegate be removed and replaced on a 1983 Garrett turbocharger? The existing cover or can around the wastegate is corroded and the can is loose.
What effect will this condition have on the operation of the engine?
Are there rebuild kits available for the 1983 Garrett turbocharger?
What is the correct way to refer to this 1983 engine? TDI, IDI, TD?
Thanks,
Rex Perry

Reply #1June 06, 2006, 08:49:25 am

HP

• Junior

« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2006, 08:49:25 am »
Well, about the motor, if it's a 1983 diesel, it's definitely IDI. TD because it's TurboDiesel.
So, TD IDI.

As for the rest, I can't help you...

Reply #2June 06, 2006, 04:22:28 pm

RWPerry

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2006, 04:22:28 pm »
HP,
Thanks for the response. At least part of the questions are answered.
RPerry

Reply #3June 07, 2006, 01:13:13 pm

Fisher

• Junior

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2006, 01:13:13 pm »
Under the Aluminum cap on the Wastegate can is a Silicone Diaphram, if that is in good condition and the holes in the Canister are not too big the Turbo will probably work ok.

If the Canister leaks a little, exhaust gas will escape if the Wastegate opens but will function unless the Canister is too far gone.

Do a search on this site, there is some information and pictures that will be helpful.  Good luck.

Reply #4June 07, 2006, 02:31:40 pm

RWPerry

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2006, 02:31:40 pm »
Fisher,
Thanks for the suggestions. I wil see if I can find some of the pictures that you refer to.
On the opposite side of where the turbocharger is mounted there is a cover secured with four nuts. Is that the cap that you are talking about. I do not see any other removable parts, and nothing that looks like aluminum other than the turbo body.
Have you ever heard of anyone replacing one of the wastegates?
Thanks,
Rex Perry

Reply #5June 12, 2006, 10:29:50 pm

fspGTD

• Veteran

• http://home.comcast.net/~vwgtd
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2006, 10:29:50 pm »
Hi Rex:

Your engine is a solid lifter 1.6lTD.  IDI, not DI.

I sell turbocharger upgrade/rebuild kits for your the 1.6lTD Garrett (click the thread in my signature for more info.)  I do currently have a couple of them in stock, (so e-mail or IM me if you are interested in ordering one.)  In addition to an upgraded heavy duty thrust bearing, my 1.6lTD Garrett rebuild kit includes a gapless turbine end sealing ring.

The wastegate can be removed, however new replacement wastegate cans or even wastgate assemblied for the Garrett are not available separately.

I do have a customer who has successfully swapped a good used wastegate off of another internally wastegated Garrett T3 turbo onto their VW 1.6lTD Garrett turbine housing, and I am able to guide you through this process if needbe.  I have disassembled the Wastegate on my 1.6lTD Garrett and it cleaned up very nicely.  If you disassemble your turbo to clean or fix it's wastegate, I would recommend installing new bearings and seals (found in my kits) while you're in there - your old ones are probably worn out.

If the "can" is rusted through, your wastegate will not work to control boost as it is supposed to.  If it stays closed, the boost pressure will spike under hard acceleration and may open the blow off valve (which would vent pressure and lead to poor performance.)  If the wastegate opens too early or "leaks" exhaust gasses by, the turbo will be slow to spool up and may not be able to develop full boost pressure.

You may also find this thread interesting (tear down pics of this turbo):
http://www.vwdiesel.net/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=3252

Hope this helps!
Jake Russell
'81 VW Rabbit GTD Autocrosser 1.6lTD, SCCA FSP Class
Dieselicious Turbocharger Upgrade/Rebuild Kits

Reply #6June 13, 2006, 08:19:56 am

RWPerry

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2006, 08:19:56 am »
Jake,
Thank you for the information. It is just what I am looking for.
As I have said, the outer can of the waste gate is loose. If I can get it apart I may be able to make a new stainless steel can. If not, I will need to replace it with something else.
I would very much like to see the procedure used by your other customer for replacing the waste gate.
Most of the fasteners on the outside of the turbocharger are corroded and should not be reused. Is this special hardware and do you have a source for replacements?
I would also like to get some additional information on your kits. Please send me an e-mail with that information.
Thanks again for the response.
Rex

Reply #7June 15, 2006, 08:24:43 pm

fspGTD

• Veteran

• http://home.comcast.net/~vwgtd
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2006, 08:24:43 pm »
Rex, you've got e-mail.  Thanks for your interest.
Jake Russell
'81 VW Rabbit GTD Autocrosser 1.6lTD, SCCA FSP Class
Dieselicious Turbocharger Upgrade/Rebuild Kits

S-PAutomotive.com