Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: um im thinkin yes to this  (Read 47970 times)

Reply #15June 05, 2006, 07:00:43 pm

RabbitGTDguy

• Veteran

um im thinkin yes to this
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2006, 07:00:43 pm »
YUM....
your lookin at my winter turbo, want to do it instead of the larger garrett I have for this year but the funds weren't there for a good unit :( ....unless of course you can find me one for a nice price! It'll be great to see how this performs!

Joe
1979 Rabbit mTDI crazy $*(\%& bunny...
1972 VW Westfalia
2009 VW Tiguan SE 2.0T (Wife's car)
2001 Audi TT 225 Quattro Roadster (something newer :) )

Reply #16June 05, 2006, 09:22:12 pm

935racer

« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2006, 09:22:12 pm »
Custom manifold or not I wouldnt try running anything bigger than like a .48 turbine, for the first turbo, I know holset doesnt measure their turbines convetionally but that looks like it would be in the neighborhood of .63 plus. Looks like a great candidate for sitting on top of that garrett :twisted:

Reply #17June 05, 2006, 10:55:46 pm

hillfolk'r

• Veteran

« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2006, 10:55:46 pm »
but ill keep blowin up stock vw turbos the way i drive it,,and i dont mind some lag because  it has like none now,cause i think the stockers are too small,we'll see,i dunno,i stopped by the manifold dudes place today,its gonna be fun,not too bad though,if we "engineer" the manifold right,ill be able to use it for future stuff,like staging,etc...
its like,it may really suck,but im willing to try it to find out,i sorta dont care how it drives,as long as it hits solid 13's all day without blowin a turbo to smithereens,like i already did on my new engine ,and i almost poopie'd myself

the  cast  exhaust outlet/wastegate cover is like 2.5,and it flares up to 2.75,before hooking to an exhaust pipe
Throttle cables ftw

Reply #18June 05, 2006, 11:14:29 pm

lord_verminaard

• Veteran

« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2006, 11:14:29 pm »
REALLY interested in your results, as I'm pondering using a stupid size turbo as well with a M-TDI.  Even toying with super-turbo combo but we'll see.  ;)
When you putting it on?  And who's making your manifold?  :D

Brendan
84 Scirocco 8v
00 Camaro L36 M49
81 Scirocco 'S -->Soon to be m-TDI
93 Corrado SLC VR6
'86 Golf N/A Diesel  -->Wife's car
1990 Audi CQ
05 New Beetle PD TDI

"I am a man, I can change... if I have to.... I guess....."

-Red Green

Reply #19June 05, 2006, 11:28:37 pm

DVST8R

• Veteran

« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2006, 11:28:37 pm »
Quote from: "hillfolk'r"
but ill keep blowin up stock vw turbos the way i drive it,,and i dont mind some lag because  it has like none now,cause i think the stockers are too small,we'll see,i dunno,i stopped by the manifold dudes place today,its gonna be fun,not too bad though,if we "engineer" the manifold right,ill be able to use it for future stuff,like staging,etc...
its like,it may really suck,but im willing to try it to find out,i sorta dont care how it drives,as long as it hits solid 13's all day without blowin a turbo to smithereens,like i already did on my new engine ,and i almost poopie'd myself

the  cast  exhaust outlet/wastegate cover is like 2.5,and it flares up to 2.75,before hooking to an exhaust pipe

Its about a .53-55 iirc sombody once mesaured it. You will never blow that turbo, The motor will come apart first. I have witnessed guys pull 375whp with redicoulous egt's on that turbo (they both had upgrades standing by and were trying to see if it would go boom, with redicoulus fueling) the one truck swaped to an PDR HX-40 on the same day, nothing else changed and dynoed 490whp so you know he was well over fueld :wink:

Run it on its own. You probably won't start making boost till about 2850-3200rpm, but it will come on strong after that so hold on.  :D Let us know how it goes, 13's will be there if you have traction :wink:

If it really is having a tough time spooling hit it with a shot of n20 and you will never look back. :twisted:
The Brett of the board...

The Dark Side of Beauty.[/i]

Reply #20June 05, 2006, 11:43:43 pm

hillfolk'r

• Veteran

« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2006, 11:43:43 pm »
tha freakin stock turbo is on hard at  2000,,,, so if this one is  2800 or so that  aint bad,,,,that will be livable
heres the manifold fabricator,does way awesome work,and used to be a vw tech back in the mid-late 80s
if its a runner,i wont bother staging it to another turbo
http://westmotorsports.biz/
heh,traction? do you see what i got? what traction,ill just use a honda for traction under my front tires :twisted:
Throttle cables ftw

Reply #21July 04, 2006, 08:21:53 am

therabbittree

• Veteran

« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2006, 08:21:53 am »
Blake man i have my ride in the garage i mounted my manifold it is a A3 2.0L gassser 4 into 2 mounted upside down..i have fabbed up a flange from some steel plate and i have my hy 35 off and almost ready....its soaking in pb blaster so i can adjust the center sections etc..i don't have a big enough snap ring plier set to clock the cool side argh..... i have go borrow or built one....alos i have  a idea to disable the waste gate ..i think i will drill and weld a nut to the bolt on down pipe plate that allows a bolt to thread through and push on the waste gate poppet  to keep it shut...it it works well then i can cut off the waste gate aluminum bracket on the cool side and mke more room...i think it will work fine shut off all the time as this is a tiny big for this engine..what do you think?.... I hope to have it done by next week.. hopefully i canget the trans built too quaife - 367 r$p..and your cv cup springs...i am also swapping to a gasser pass side engien mount o run the a3 tdi injection pump mount with the roller , to get rid of my t belt flutter.. gonna be 3 " exhaust down pipe all the way back..its already 3 " from the front of the bed back.....where did you order your 4b puck?..i have the 16v pressureplate in there now..it slipps...hehe....did you register for water fest for sunday? the dead line is the 9th???...cool i will talk to you later..
thanks
deo
\x/ hillfolk!

Reply #22July 04, 2006, 12:14:18 pm

A2TD

« Reply #22 on: July 04, 2006, 12:14:18 pm »
.53-.55 is way to big of a turbine AR for a TDI. You don't have to guess whether it will work or not, if you do some math on it you'll see you won't hit full boost until 3400-3500 rpm, which will give you less than 1000rpm powerband, and coupled with your short ratio gearbox(compared to a CTN 02A TDI tranny), will leave your car barely driveable.

Check out www.centralvwaudi.com , Simon made a 12sec MK2 TDI with a hybrid GT28R that was running a .49 exhaust AR.

Reply #23July 04, 2006, 12:30:03 pm

DVST8R

• Veteran

« Reply #23 on: July 04, 2006, 12:30:03 pm »
Quote from: "A2TD"
.53-.55 is way to big of a turbine AR for a TDI. You don't have to guess whether it will work or not, if you do some math on it you'll see you won't hit full boost until 3400-3500 rpm, which will give you less than 1000rpm powerband, and coupled with your short ratio gearbox(compared to a CTN 02A TDI tranny), will leave your car barely driveable.

Check out www.centralvwaudi.com , Simon made a 12sec MK2 TDI with a hybrid GT28R that was running a .49 exhaust AR.

That's all and good quoting what TDI-RS did, as you are new here I will let you know that TDI-RS was a frequent poster on the old host-board, and even on here some, we are all aware of what he did, and iirc it never broke out of the low 13's. Just because nobody has run this combination doesnt mean it won't work. :wink:

By the way guess what turbo TDI-RS's latest project use's.....

That's right a Holset HY-35, but with a custom split turbine section like the hx-35.  :wink:

Reply #24July 04, 2006, 12:43:44 pm

A2TD

« Reply #24 on: July 04, 2006, 12:43:44 pm »
With a 16v head, 100cc more displacement and PD injection. Nothing at all like hilfolks engine. You can't argue with the math on this one, .53-.55 is simply too big. If you don't believe me, you can run the #'s yourself.

Reply #25July 04, 2006, 03:24:15 pm

DVST8R

• Veteran

« Reply #25 on: July 04, 2006, 03:24:15 pm »
Thats kinda like saying a sledpuller 66 won't work on a cummins. The math doesn't work out on it either and yet there are alot of guys running them. Yes it does have some surging issues under certin circumstance's, but it has its purpose, making huge power with a single turbo. Same thing here just smaller scale. Math will only get you possiblities and numbers, somtimes you just have to build it.

I bet this turbo lights in the 2800-3000 rpm range, and will pull right through 5000rpm. In the process dropping hillfolker into the mid 13's, to start and with some work possibly crack 12's, but we will have to wait and see.

Oh and Andy2 has already proven this motor will spool the hy-35.  :wink:

So then in your opinion what big single turbo does the math work for???

Oh iirc TDI-RS mentioned (back on the old board, when he was buliding the motor) that the T28-Hybrid that TDI-RS ran into the surge area as well, but was the best compermise of what he was looking for at the time.   :wink:

Reply #26July 04, 2006, 04:46:41 pm

A2TD

« Reply #26 on: July 04, 2006, 04:46:41 pm »
In the case of the cummins, sometimes the headflow characteristics can scew the math. Honda's are another example of this, turbos that shouldn't work, work, because Honda heads are extremley well designed.

We're talking about a VW 1.9l TDI head, and its flow characteristics are nowhere near what a cummins or a Honda head is. The largest exhaust AR you want on this engine .49. Hilfolk'r, with the pump he has on the car right now, will make peak hp @4200rpm, after that he runs out of timing.Now he could mod his pump, to increase his timing advance, but then he runs into peak cylinder pressure issues, while he's trying to wind his motor out to 5000-5500rpm. VW counterflow heads have horrible flow characteristics, especially in the higher RPMs. Why do you think VW switched to a crossflow head on the  MK3 ABA 2.0 gas motor???

You can put a hoslet on a TDI, and it will work, but at which RPM it works at is a totally different story. 2800-3000rpm is a long shot with a .53-.55 AR. People have already done the work for him on this engine(ie TDI-RS), and remember Simon had a built motor, Hilfolk'r does not.

Reply #27July 04, 2006, 04:50:44 pm

hillfolk'r

• Veteran

« Reply #27 on: July 04, 2006, 04:50:44 pm »
i have 1 question,and this is all that matters to me
will this turbo get me in the 13s?
thats all that matters,i will sacrifice everything
hell,i will start throwing parts out of the car when i get halfway down the 1/4 if i need to :shock:
as it is now,it already starts spoolin at like 1800,and its on strong at 2000,by 2200 or so its flyin+its pooped by 4000,i dont bother with more revs ,maybe i go 4400 when beatin on it,although i still havent really turned down the maxrpm  from when i had this pump on my 1.6im still learnin to read the guages,cause i get a little tunnel vision now
like DV thinks this is how ill hope itll be,as long as its startin to do somethin by25-2700 that would be nice ,and like 5000 max pretty much,thats not muchrevs over stock,4700 or so isnt it?
it only has a good power band right now,of barely 2000 rpms now,more like 1700 maybe around there...
besides its a 1.9 its got so much "na" grunt,it doesnt matter,when i blew that turbo and drove it home 60 miles,i had no problem still spinning the tires and even a little bit in 2nd also(the freakin exhaust wheel left the building,like elvis)

lol i still ran like a 14.17 on that run...

i pulled the oil feed off the turbo and took a rubber fuel line hose off my wastegate then i found an old bolt layin in the dirt and shoved that in the hose+clamped it,then i clamped the hose to the oil feed+drove it home
i may need to do that again at waterfest  if i get stupid,lol stupid freakin time bomb turbos

but right now,im just a little bummed out,cause i wanted to get this done before  wfest,its too close,so im throwin in the towel,and will take my time,i dont wanna do a last minute rush..rabbittree do you hear me?lol
actually now i can take more time possibly,and do something about this crappy intake manifold too :roll:
http://westmotorsports.biz/
thats my "manifold dude"
want a custom manifold?he cut out some extra flanges
Throttle cables ftw

Reply #28July 04, 2006, 11:07:32 pm

therabbittree

• Veteran

« Reply #28 on: July 04, 2006, 11:07:32 pm »
yeah blake i hear ya i am thinking the same thing on the it's close to the wire ...ha..although i already pre registered with the truck to race so now i gotta show hehe..plus i already took off the kkk and its down pipe and manifolds.. so i can't drive it now either so if i don't make in time i'll be rocking my passat or euro van ha, at the least i will have a good parking spot in the pits for the family hauler...clocking this turbo is a pain in the ass. oh well ...as for all this it won't work bs ..it may not be text book by any means but it will work..and im sure it will put a smile on your face..i plan to do some nitrous any how so im sure it can get it lit  real early on the juice.... besides i wanted to do twins but andys problems with eth same setup i wanted to do discuraged me a little... and the intake issue ..man i was trying to a manifold to allow room for a gasser intake but it looks like i would have to really make custom exhaust manifold or cut and box out the fire wall to mount the turbo  or turbos back farther..my deal is i want to be able to easily reach the nuts and bolts to remove the parts   that i try to put on. other wise it will be a real nightmare to work on etc...
later
Deo
\x/ hillfolk

Reply #29July 04, 2006, 11:28:16 pm

hillfolk'r

• Veteran

« Reply #29 on: July 04, 2006, 11:28:16 pm »
yea im registered for wfest ,tix are in my grubby paw,rabbittree,i wanted to call tonite to shoot the bull,sorry i got sidetracked,tryin to find a wierd woosh woosh sound comin from my belts,i think i got it
seems like i needed just a touch more timing belt tension,wierd though,it only did it for like 10 seconds on a cold start sitting overnite,i know it wasnt too tight,cause thats a whirr whirr sound,,lol me+my sounds :roll:
Throttle cables ftw

S-PAutomotive.com