Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: What size for turbo oil return line??  (Read 6513 times)

May 11, 2004, 08:03:25 pm

DieselsRcool

• Junior

What size for turbo oil return line??
« on: May 11, 2004, 08:03:25 pm »
Will a 3/8" aluminum tube work OK for the turbo oil return? I have welded, drilled and tapped the pan. Now I'm thinking flared tubing for the line. I have 3/8 aluminum or 1/2" copper. Seems the 3/8 should be big enough or do these lines have a tendancy to sludge up and so should be bigger.
Thanks all!

Reply #1May 12, 2004, 02:19:39 am

dieseltech

• Junior

• http://www.geocities.com/dean16v/Page_One.html
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2004, 02:19:39 am »
3/8 is too small.  on all the custom turbo setups i have done, i found one important lesson, NEVER have any pressure on the oil return line.
it can and will blow the seals clean out of the turbo.  you want to get the return pipe as close to the size of the return port on the turbo, and have a min of 4" vertical drop before making any turns. i would say 1/2 to be about the min safe size. use a metal that is not britle. there needs to be flex between the turbo and the pan, there is alot of vibration and expanding and contracting with heat too.  here is a tip. go to the junkyard and LOOK at the cars with turbos, see how the return is made and the size if it, get some ideas then go at it.  lots of saabs are turbo, some volvo and a few other cars, but check em out. you ma even be buying the return line off of a saab and making it fit your car!

best of luck   if you want some pics of turbo setups i have done to get ideas let me know. i will post them.

chris
86 td jetta power everything dd (update off the road for major resto).  97tdi bare bones, DD
and a private junkyard of various other vw/audi/bmw/peugeot/volvo/toyota diesels!!!
Cummins has the worlds record for being the most efficient engine ever!!!!!
for converting fuel into noise!

Reply #2May 12, 2004, 02:59:28 am

HughF

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2004, 02:59:28 am »
Use a short length of silicone hose between the output barb on th turbo and the input barb on the sump. I service some saab 9000 turbo's here in the UK, and they use this technique with great sucess.

Hugh

Reply #3May 12, 2004, 03:32:46 pm

DieselsRcool

• Junior

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2004, 03:32:46 pm »
OK, Thanks for the tips guys.

I got some high temp Aeroquip hose, 1/2"id and some brass barbs. I'll keep the bends smooth to ease the flow.

Thanks again.