Author Topic: TDI-M in Non-VW  (Read 26558 times)

Reply #30September 19, 2006, 08:23:59 pm

deepmud

• Junior

TDI-M in Non-VW
« Reply #30 on: September 19, 2006, 08:23:59 pm »
ah, yer' killin' me  :lol:

You are right, I should suspect everthing. "likely" the cam was left alone, and the mark was set at the factory, but...

SO I need so suspect cam timing as well as pump timing, and do whatever it takes to determine compression stroke TDC #1 - pulling the valve cover lets me observe valve operation, which determines compression stroke - I'm going to assume the cam mark is correct if it seems to be close - I'll look for a mark on the head around the valve cover. Ah, what fun :D Hopefully I'll be able to use the pin to locate the pump, and see if I am correctly timed - until then, I'm just overthinking everything to no good purpose.
the 1.9TD/Suzuki w/big tires guy
visit Alaska @ www.alaska4x4network.com

Reply #31September 19, 2006, 10:53:48 pm

QuickTD

• Veteran

TDI-M in Non-VW
« Reply #31 on: September 19, 2006, 10:53:48 pm »
Yeah I'm bustin' your ass... :D

The cam sprocket marks must be just a leftover from the gasser, they have no value on the diesel and they are not set anywhere in particular from the factory. They are never used for timing purposes, factory or otherwise. Again, ignore them! The cam is timed by placing the tool in the slot at the back of the cam, no marks are ever used, ever. Period.

With the crank at TDC#1 you should see the slot at the back of the cam level with the head surface and the pin should fit through the slot in the pump hub and into the hole in the pump body.

Reply #32September 19, 2006, 11:22:08 pm

deepmud

• Junior

TDI-M in Non-VW
« Reply #32 on: September 19, 2006, 11:22:08 pm »
well - pics are downloading and I'll post them shortly - but the cam mark is NEARLY spot on - there is a little mark on the cover, and with the cam slot flat in back the mark NEARLY lines up.

I pulled the #1 injector- duh, it's easy on a TDI  :roll: and went over and over and over between the "stopped going up" and "started going down" points, and found I line right up with a black sharpy mark on the crank - I'll wack that with a chisel tip later. With that mark lined up on the timing mark on the cover (another gasser leftover I would guess) there is a hole exactly lined up behind the gap, just like you said.

So.

It runs like crap, the timing adjustment is exactly centered, it runs better when I advance timing as far as it will go (I backed out the stop all the way on the cold start advance) - so how much is 1.0 of pump advance in terms of adjustable pulley?

Pics coming.

Reply #33September 19, 2006, 11:34:19 pm

QuickTD

• Veteran

TDI-M in Non-VW
« Reply #33 on: September 19, 2006, 11:34:19 pm »
so how much is 1.0 of pump advance in terms of adjustable pulley?

Difficult to say, camplate lift and rise play the major role there. There are no lift specs for the TDI because they normally use feedback from the #3 injector lift sensor and a scan tool to set the timing. I beleive we've come full circle and you'll need to pick up that dial guage and adaptor if you want to shoot for a specific number. Good news is its easy to adjust with the 2 piece pulley...

I say just loosen the bolts in the pulley and turn the hub clockwise to advance it a bit and give it a try. You're going to have to experiment...

Reply #34September 19, 2006, 11:43:45 pm

deepmud

• Junior

TDI-M in Non-VW
« Reply #34 on: September 19, 2006, 11:43:45 pm »

Reply #35September 19, 2006, 11:48:05 pm

deepmud

• Junior

TDI-M in Non-VW
« Reply #35 on: September 19, 2006, 11:48:05 pm »
Quote from: QuickTD
I say just loosen the bolts in the pulley and turn the hub clockwise to advance it a bit and give it a try. You're going to have to experiment...

cool - I'll set it to "a bit", take pics, and crank 'er up lol :D

Anyone ever turn the #3 lift sensor into a tach drive?

Reply #36September 20, 2006, 11:35:42 pm

deepmud

• Junior

TDI-M in Non-VW
« Reply #36 on: September 20, 2006, 11:35:42 pm »
:D  :D Advanced about 1/2 the total possible range - fired right up -- I can adjust the main fuel screw with two fingers so up it went until the idle stopped coming down - backed it off - she's purring along. Revs up, no white smoke.

Overthinking it a lot wasted time :? Thanks for the good advice, all.

Pwhaaaa what an acrid smell - I see why the TDI guys talk about putting the cat back on.  :lol:

Reply #37September 21, 2006, 12:25:20 am

Justin

• Veteran

TDI-M in Non-VW
« Reply #37 on: September 21, 2006, 12:25:20 am »
deepmud,

can you put a dial indicator on your pump and check the timing at the TDC mark for others doing the swap in the future?

Thanks and good luck
Justin
www.archeryprostaffmi.com
1985 GMC pickup 4x4 lift kit and runs 14.625 @ 91mph
1982 VW rabbit pickup 1.6L just rebuilt, 100mm cv's, 02A transmission
1997 Geo Tracker 1.9 TDI-M, variable gate turbo, Giles Pump

Reply #38September 22, 2006, 12:16:57 am

deepmud

• Junior

TDI-M in Non-VW
« Reply #38 on: September 22, 2006, 12:16:57 am »
well - I don't yet have a gauge - however, getting where it WAS is easy, it's the standard, set-by-pin 1.9td setting - and I have the new posistion marked too.

I got my rig to move around the yard - whee! My temporary intercooler pipeing isn't glued so any pressure blows it apart, lol. I just let out the clutch at idle and bumpe around. I'm pretty happy, 'cause it's been over 2 years since I cut apart my running, working 1.9td Samruari, and finally it's moving again.

Reply #39September 25, 2006, 12:55:46 am

deepmud

• Junior

TDI-M in Non-VW
« Reply #39 on: September 25, 2006, 12:55:46 am »
It's running pretty well  - I have driven it over some obastacles, the giant tires are working well, the diesel rolls them up over logs and such nicely. At idle it seems about like my old IDI 1.9td - very torqey, sort of unstoppable. Stomping the trottle doesn't react like I think it should tho'. No smoke at all ( I can see the end of the exhaust, it's dumping by my trans, up at the firewall and I have a hole in the floor where I can see the end of the 2" pipe) - I tried turning the main fuel screw in, but I can only go so far or I can't get the idle down.

I try going over the old Smog "make your TD a faster car" thread and see what tweaks to try. I had the ol' 1.9td going pretty fast with the just the main fuel screw and a mild custom grind on the aneroid pin.

Reply #40September 25, 2006, 11:29:22 pm

macsdub

• Junior

TDI-M in Non-VW
« Reply #40 on: September 25, 2006, 11:29:22 pm »
Quote from: macsdub

um,ive got my tdi timed to like.98-.100 or so,pretty much like a "stock" td setting
my 12mm pump went right off my old  idi,and onto my tdi too

i didnt read the whole thing here again :roll: but if yea there is no spec for a tdi-m
mine runs fine set to a stock 84 1.6td spec
.95-1.00mm
most of the time this is hilfolk'r... ive forgotten my password

Fixmyvw.com